Puppy runs away from me when I want to discipline - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Puppy runs away from me when I want to discipline

  1. #11
    BirdMan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Hi Shelley! Glad to see you here, great post!

  2. #12
    amypasetti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Here's my take on this situation, others may disagree.

    First, no more chasing her around. You're right, it's great fun! And then when you catch her and punish you do 2 things:

    1. confuse her
    2. make it harder to catch her the next time.

    I always run AWAY from a puppy that has something bad. Puppy chases me, I grab puppy happily with lots of praise, take away illegal item, and carry on.

    It may be the case that you have to tether her to you in the yard until she is capable of learning boundaries.

    Any way that you can set up a chicken fence of sorts? I went to home depot and bought stakes and a roll of garden fencing to keep Archie out of the veggie garden. It was a relatively inexpensive and really effective solution for us.

    Also, don't worry about her "winning." She isn't really thinking that way. Try working on recall. It's not too early to start. Pick a word you don't use often, and start saying it to her while rewarding. Then slowly up the distance and distraction. She should eventually come RUNNING to you when you say that word, because she associates it with something positive.

    Good luck!
    Archie,

    Thanks for the great advice. It certainly is a lot harder than what I was doing, as she acts a bit confused now, but this will pass. I also started using the leash again outdoors.

    Amy

  3. #13
    amypasetti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    My pup does the same thing, especially when he's tired. You tell him "no" to something, actually anything and he thinks "Wow, time to play chase me games". I have to say the ignoring thing did work because he's not got my attention. That's what pup is looking for to make a game. I would ignore and walk away and he would then come chase me to say "come on, let's play". That's when I would take him in to the crate. Not cruel, but guess what, not going to stand for this.

    I did limit his space and as he got older opened the yard to him. Baby steps as they say. Now he's bigger and can't get into spots that he could of and could have been dangerous for him.

    And don't fret regarding the leash biting. Pup did that to me, but with the martingale, several good corrections, pup doesn't even touch it now. Is your puppy classes using martingales or flat collars?

    KAZ

    KAZ
    KAZ,

    Got it. Baby steps. Good advice as well. Thanks again!

    Amy

  4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

  5. #14
    amypasetti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    Take something even more enticing (a favorite) toy and wave it to get her to you. Chasing her and raising your voice is doing NO good at this time in her life. You have to make YOURSELF more fun to be with and it'll all work out much better in the end.
    I do agree w/ the tethering though, or at least attach a long line to her that you can step on. If you can't follow up on a blown off command at 10 wks old, you are in trouble for what is soon to come in a few months.
    Windy,

    Be certain that I never said that I raise my voice with Sadie. I read in one of my books that a few loud claps or something to "startle/distract" from the behavior that you disapprove of is acceptable. I freely admit to the chasing, which has only been a recent event (once she learned that I would take her fun items out of her mouth!) This is why I have asked for help. Because I know that it is getting us nowhere.

    I may get frustrated, or maybe it is my use of the word discipline (I was in the Navy and sometimes use jargon or words differently than civilians. My "discipline" had been catching her, grabbing the rocks, palm fans or whatever she had in her mouth and telling her "No" in a stern voice. Sometimes just relocating her to a different area and offering a chew toy. Perhaps I should have clarified.

    Anyhow, I appreciate the suggestions. I have reintroduced the leash in the backyard and it seems to be helping.

    Thanks again,

    Amy

  6. #15
    amypasetti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    Ditto Archie (nice post!)

    Also sometimes I just walk away and say "see ya" and like clockwork here comes a little puppy wondering where I am going and what's so cool over by me.
    Haha. Maybe I will try that!

    Amy

  7. #16
    piperpuppy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Hi Amy!

    I think you have gotten a lot of great advice here. One thing I want to reiterate is the chase game. Because it is a game! My Piper just turned one in September and that is still her favorite game to play. Hide and Go Seek is a close second but chase is still number one. She has been really good for many months about chewing inappropriate things but just last week she chewed up two pairs of shoes. One belonged to my son and one to my daughter. They had gotten lax in picking up their stuff 'cause she's been so good for so long. As soon as they saw what she had done, they went to pick up their shoes, Piper beat them to it and the game of Chase was on!

    I stepped in, told them to go away, told the naughty demon (in a firm, crabby voice) to Drop It!

    Because she has for some reason the past couple of weeks been a pain in the tush (maybe because school has started and our schedule has changed?) she didn't listen! Gasp!

    I proceeded to turn around, walk into the nearest room with a door and close it. Waited thirty seconds and opened the door. There was my demon, big, sad dark eyes with no shoes, sitting woebegone. Piper (and from what I have learned all labs) really don't want to be excluded.

    So, my point being, one, don't play chase with a lab. You'll lose every time, plus you'll probably send yourself into premature labor. Second, take yourself and your belly away from her. Odds are she'll follow 'cause deep down, she really does just want to be with you! Then, while you are distracting her, send someone else in your family to pick up the offending article she had in her mouth!

    Good luck!!!!!

  8. #17
    Ruby No!'s Avatar
    Ruby No! is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piperpuppy View Post
    They had gotten lax in picking up their stuff 'cause she's been so good for so long. As soon as they saw what she had done, they went to pick up their shoes, Piper beat them to it and the game of Chase was on!
    They will straighten up a lazy human this way that's for sure!
    Ruby "keeps us honest" now. We cant even leave a remote out for any length of time.

    :Ron
    Labradorious Omnivorious:



    Diet:

    Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

  9. #18
    amypasetti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I would run away if someone called me to discipline me too, only call her to you when you are calm, happy and positive especially at this young age.

    One thing you can do when she takes something you don't want her to have, is the "Exchange Program".

    Instead of chasing her, call her to you in a really happy voice, clap your hands, and get down low on her level. Then ask her to "give" (you may need to encourage this, and it take time to teach, sometimes they just drop what they have for the cookie), and give her a "high value" treat and say "thank you" or Good Girl!" She will learn that she pleases you when she brings you things, that she gets cookies and treats for coming, even when she has a "prize", and most of the time she will bring you back what she has without destroying it. Win-win for everyone! It takes time and you have to have treats accessible, (I keep a small bowl of treats by my back door, even kibble will do in a pinch, keep some in your pocket too) and never ever never call her to you and yell at her or punish her when she comes to you. You want to be the funnest, safest, best place ever for your puppy. It works!

    My young girls love to carry things in their mouth, and are so proud to bring me what they have when I praise and love on them for it. It's really nice to have a reliable recall when they have something that might be dangerous in their mouth, instead of chasing after them in the yard. Later on I do field with them, and this lays some nice groundwork for that too.

    You have a ten week old puppy and a baby coming in three months? You are going to have a lot on your plate, please make sure you have time to train your puppy to be the best she can be, keep up on those puppy kindergarten and beginner classes!
    Shelley,

    Thanks for the advice. I am no longer playing the chasing game. I have gotten a lot of good feedback on this post. It feels much better. I guess I was just worried that she would ingest something bad for her in the yard. We have been taking Sadie out on the leash, restricting her from those areas for now. Every once in a while we let her have a free 5 minutes of running around the backyard.

    I have been loving on her when she does bring me her "prize" She is reluctant at times and probably only brings it to me about 50% of the time--probably have some undoing to do (I used to catch her, get the item out and place her in her crate). Overall, I am very pleased with the progress.

    Thanks.

    Amy

  10. #19
    amypasetti is offline Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piperpuppy View Post
    Hi Amy!

    I think you have gotten a lot of great advice here. One thing I want to reiterate is the chase game. Because it is a game! My Piper just turned one in September and that is still her favorite game to play. Hide and Go Seek is a close second but chase is still number one. She has been really good for many months about chewing inappropriate things but just last week she chewed up two pairs of shoes. One belonged to my son and one to my daughter. They had gotten lax in picking up their stuff 'cause she's been so good for so long. As soon as they saw what she had done, they went to pick up their shoes, Piper beat them to it and the game of Chase was on!

    I stepped in, told them to go away, told the naughty demon (in a firm, crabby voice) to Drop It!

    Because she has for some reason the past couple of weeks been a pain in the tush (maybe because school has started and our schedule has changed?) she didn't listen! Gasp!

    I proceeded to turn around, walk into the nearest room with a door and close it. Waited thirty seconds and opened the door. There was my demon, big, sad dark eyes with no shoes, sitting woebegone. Piper (and from what I have learned all labs) really don't want to be excluded.

    So, my point being, one, don't play chase with a lab. You'll lose every time, plus you'll probably send yourself into premature labor. Second, take yourself and your belly away from her. Odds are she'll follow 'cause deep down, she really does just want to be with you! Then, while you are distracting her, send someone else in your family to pick up the offending article she had in her mouth!

    Good luck!!!!!
    Piperpuppy,

    I like your sense of humor! You are correct about the good advice! Much improvement has been made over the past few days. Thanks for the encouragement and "nugget" for the future.

    Amy

  11. #20
    piperpuppy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Yea! I am happy Sadie is doing better! Watch out, though, you know she is just trying to lull you into a false sense of security, right????

    Tina

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads

  1. 16 Week Old Puppy, Pulls and Runs On Leash
    By JonEhh in forum Training Tips and Puppy Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM
  2. 7 month old puppy gets the runs a lot, help?
    By jamiejo in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  3. Discipline??
    By kaznalf in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22