Night wake ups - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Night wake ups

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    My feeling w/young puppies, is it's a give and take thing. I sent an 8 wk old out (first in the litter to go of 5 puppies) in May, and immediately started to get emails of noise complaints at night. I said "she's a baby, she's used to her pile of littermates in the crate... give her time". I asked if the crate was near them and they said no, that's not how they've done any of their other labs. Note that they had other older labs at the time w/ the others though, and now this was an only puppy. She was lonesome! I suggested getting the sleeping bag out for the next night or 2 or putting the crate near the couch or bed. He said, good job for the grandkids.... I agreed, thought we had it handled. 5 day from the day of p/u, they are telling me her "anxiety" is getting worse, and they are not getting any sleep. I asked for more details and it ends up they tried NOTHING I suggested, she was expected to be crated all by herself in the basement. I told them to bring her back. I had someone wanting w/in 2 days who had another of my pups, and guess what, they crated them side by side (also another room) and did not have a problem in the world. So... moral of the story, sometimes it's nice to be a little flexible and train the pup you have vs what you maybe had in the past.
    The first owners missed out on a fantastic pup, fantastic all around pedigree.
    Not even socializing pup to other Labs? And all alone in basement? Plus complaining but NOT doing any of your suggestions.

Well, glad you demanded that pup back and found him a place with that other couple.

Shame on that first owner for being so narrow minded. Definitely missed out.

KAZ

amypasetti is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    How old is your pup?
    She is 9 1/2 weeks old.

I would absolutely not respond to a barking pup like that. An adult dog that barks and is out of the norm, sure. But your puppy is being rewarded. If you've taken your pup out to potty your puppy can hold it especially for an hour. My puppy, first night home, last potty was 11 PM and wake up was 6 am. We stretched that over the first week and by the weekend he was crated from 10 PM to 7 am without any potty accidents and no night wake ups. Don't give in! You can do it.
    We had a much better night last night! Thanks. Ignored the barking for the most part. If she woke up and it had been less than 2 hours it was ignored. More than two hours got a potty break but no more lying on the floor! It was great! Once she figured it out that we meant business, she slept for a four hour stretch. We will gradually increase the two hour rule to 3, 4 so on...

Amy

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Ignore the bark for attention. And definitely stop sleeping on the floor. As your pup gets older their bladder control gets better.

For example, we were ALL up at 3:30 am this morning (husband's doing-bad night). Pup saw us, cried, took him out to potty, then right back into his crate. He could see us sitting in the kitchen and started to cry. Told him hush and ignored and pup didn't get out of crate until breakfast time (5 am). He might give me a whiny cry but he knows he's not getting out so why even bother. Basically watched him plop down with a chew toy and then next thing you know fast asleep.

My pup, at first, did fight it, but he learned, just like your pup will. Just remember, as she's getting older her bladder control is getting better.

KAZ
    Yes KAZ! MUCH better night last night!! (read post to birdman) Thanks for the advice. It was great...woohoo!! I feel so much better this AM.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    Everyone here is correct. Your pup should get better and better with holding their bladder. At this age- they shouldn't need to get up more than once in the night to go to the bathroom. A general rule to go by is factor in their age. For example a three month old puppy may be okay for for 3 hours without a bathroom break. If you take the dog out - like you are, ignoring them, no expression, no praise, no speaking - back into the crate and if they keep barking, and you know they don't need to go to the bathroom, then you can say "NO BEDTIME" or something to tell the dog, no go back to sleep.

Get the dog more comfortable with the crate. Make sure you carry the crate out during the day to wherever you are - whether it be watching tv or in the kitchen. Keeping the crate out will teach the dog that the crate isn't just for bed time and being locked up. Leave it open for them to go in and out of. Put your dog's meals in the crate so that they go inside the crate and use it more. They will begin to associate the crate as their own little space. Every time the pup goes into the crate on their own, praise them. Act like it's the best thing in the world.

Keeping the crate next to you is excellent. It's important for them to know you are there. Nothing is harder on a puppy than being separated from their mother, separated from their litter mates, and isolated in a room on their own. It's important for them to know they are not alone.

Definitely stop sleeping on the floor. If they keep barking - you may need to be a little bit more harsh with your tone of voice to let them no its not acceptable to be awake and making noise.
    Xracer,

I had read that same info about the months in age plus one is how long you can expect them to hold it. I just started second guessing myself. As you can tell I took everyone's advice and last night was much better. Thank you for the kind and thoughtful words/advice.

Amy

FWIW, I have never put a crate in my room with me unless I am traveling.
    Interesting...

BirdMan is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by amypasetti View Post
    We had a much better night last night! Thanks. Ignored the barking for the most part. If she woke up and it had been less than 2 hours it was ignored. More than two hours got a potty break but no more lying on the floor! It was great! Once she figured it out that we meant business, she slept for a four hour stretch. We will gradually increase the two hour rule to 3, 4 so on...

Amy

Awesome! This is great news. Good work, keep it up!

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Read your reply to Birdman,

So thrilled for you and Sadie.

KAZ

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    Not even socializing pup to other Labs? And all alone in basement? Plus complaining but NOT doing any of your suggestions.

Well, glad you demanded that pup back and found him a place with that other couple.

Shame on that first owner for being so narrow minded. Definitely missed out.

KAZ
    She was out and about during the day w/ them, but stuffed into solitary confinement at night. My pups aren't going to do well w/ that considering they are in a pen (or for the first 4 wks, a whelping box in the house), and sleeping w/ their littermates until 8 wks. And once in the pen (that's in my attached, insulated garage), all the big dogs (mom, grams, aunties, cousins) are right there in their crates. Mine are definitely desiring pack attention by then. Yes, it was sad.... And yes I was glad they returned her.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

woodhunter is offline Junior Member

For the first three nights I always sleep on the couch with puppy in closed kennel. This way if he whines I can place my hand by the door for puppy to smell and I'm closer to the door to head out at night if really needed. The next week and a half I put puppies kennel in the bedroom so as to hear him whine,again so that [U]if[U] needed I can take puppy out. Usually by this point puppy can be put to sleep wherever you are planning on having them sleep. I have never had to really worry about a pup needing to go out in the night after the first week. But when they do there is no playing at all, just business, as you a many others have stated. Good luck and be strong. A little whining is okay.
    My dad used to put a wind up Big Ben clock ( those things were indistructable) from his night stand in with the pup for about two weeks, and he almost never got up in the night for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123