Night wake ups - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night wake ups

ZRabbits is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BirdMan View Post
    FWIW, I have never put a crate in my room with me unless I am traveling.
    Me either. None of my pups growing up ever slept in our bedroom UNTIL they were completely out of the crate as adults. Always used an alarm clock (ticking soothes like Mom's heart, and something with smells from the litter (breeder gave us a stuffie), never had a problem. And that only lasted maybe two weeks at the most.

Amy,

Are you going to move the crate when pup gets a bit bigger or will she stay there until you decide she's ready to be out of the crate? That's something else to consider. Once she's used to her surroundings (new people, new home, etc.) I would consider finding a spot for the crate outside your bedroom. With her growing older, bladder getting stronger to hold longer, something to consider.

KAZ

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

It's just something I've always done. My boy sleeps on the bed now, but as a puppy they always stay in the room with me.

Is there a reason you don't want them in the bedroom with you?

BirdMan is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by xracer4844 View Post
    It's just something I've always done. My boy sleeps on the bed now, but as a puppy they always stay in the room with me.

Less room for error. My bedroom is upstairs and further from the door to go out and potty. It's distracting for the puppy. It's harder to ignore a whining puppy if they are right next to you. Personal choice.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I had one pup owner recently who decided to ignore her pup's barks to go out and found herself w/ a huge mess to clean up.
    Now that said, my pups are all raised to understand what a "potty pool" (pool w/ pellets, basically a litter box...) is. Some people just refuse to use them, and well.... they aren't going to get near as much sleep as I get. My pup still occasionally needs to go piddle in the middle of the night or am (I don't know other than I can tell by the "fluffy area" in the pellets that she's still needing to relieve herself at least once). My pup is almost 6 mos. Im not rushing it as I've found the girls are much more prone to UTIs so I'd rather not force them to hold it too long.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Never did it before. First time hearing about this practice now. Never had a problem with any of them. New pup did excellent. Plus never had a dog sleep on the bed either, but finding my Lab is loving our waterbed so that should be interesting, lol

KAZ

It's just something I've always done. I also like being next to them in the night. If they are sick, if anything happens, I'm there to help. I've also read various things that say that it creates a better bond with the owner but WHO KNOWS IF THAT ACTUALLY TRUE. I don't see how you could ever prove that haha

It's just something I've always done. I also like being next to them in the night. If they are sick, if anything happens, I'm there to help. I've also read various things that say that it creates a better bond with the owner but WHO KNOWS IF THAT ACTUALLY TRUE. I don't see how you could ever prove that haha
    I think it's whatever makes you feel comfortable and definitely making pup comfortable learning his new home and family. My pup has company constantly, not just us, but our 10 bunnies. First night was a bit tough because every time a bunny moved he got up. After that first night, it's all a norm now.

Pattern consistency is what it's called. It's getting a routine going. And the pup adjusts to YOUR routine. You don't adjust to his. I'm not the type of person that says, "do it my way". Actually really enjoy hearing other views and other experiences. You would be surprised what help you can get just by listening to other people's experiences.

KAZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    I think it's whatever makes you feel comfortable and definitely making pup comfortable learning his new home and family. My pup has company constantly, not just us, but our 10 bunnies. First night was a bit tough because every time a bunny moved he got up. After that first night, it's all a norm now.

Pattern consistency is what it's called. It's getting a routine going. And the pup adjusts to YOUR routine. You don't adjust to his. I'm not the type of person that says, "do it my way". Actually really enjoy hearing other views and other experiences. You would be surprised what help you can get just by listening to other people's experiences.

KAZ
    Yeah you are right. Consistency is the most important thing!!!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

My feeling w/young puppies, is it's a give and take thing. I sent an 8 wk old out (first in the litter to go of 5 puppies) in May, and immediately started to get emails of noise complaints at night. I said "she's a baby, she's used to her pile of littermates in the crate... give her time". I asked if the crate was near them and they said no, that's not how they've done any of their other labs. Note that they had other older labs at the time w/ the others though, and now this was an only puppy. She was lonesome! I suggested getting the sleeping bag out for the next night or 2 or putting the crate near the couch or bed. He said, good job for the grandkids.... I agreed, thought we had it handled. 5 day from the day of p/u, they are telling me her "anxiety" is getting worse, and they are not getting any sleep. I asked for more details and it ends up they tried NOTHING I suggested, she was expected to be crated all by herself in the basement. I told them to bring her back. I had someone wanting w/in 2 days who had another of my pups, and guess what, they crated them side by side (also another room) and did not have a problem in the world. So... moral of the story, sometimes it's nice to be a little flexible and train the pup you have vs what you maybe had in the past.
    The first owners missed out on a fantastic pup, fantastic all around pedigree.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    My feeling w/young puppies, is it's a give and take thing. I sent an 8 wk old out (first in the litter to go of 5 puppies) in May, and immediately started to get emails of noise complaints at night. I said "she's a baby, she's used to her pile of littermates in the crate... give her time". I asked if the crate was near them and they said no, that's not how they've done any of their other labs. Note that they had other older labs at the time w/ the others though, and now this was an only puppy. She was lonesome! I suggested getting the sleeping bag out for the next night or 2 or putting the crate near the couch or bed. He said, good job for the grandkids.... I agreed, thought we had it handled. 5 day from the day of p/u, they are telling me her "anxiety" is getting worse, and they are not getting any sleep. I asked for more details and it ends up they tried NOTHING I suggested, she was expected to be crated all by herself in the basement. I told them to bring her back. I had someone wanting w/in 2 days who had another of my pups, and guess what, they crated them side by side (also another room) and did not have a problem in the world. So... moral of the story, sometimes it's nice to be a little flexible and train the pup you have vs what you maybe had in the past.
    The first owners missed out on a fantastic pup, fantastic all around pedigree.
    It sounds to me like you are not new at getting the sleeping bag out Great advice- I like that line..."train the pup your have vs what you had in the past"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast