Aggression - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aggression

mauricio is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Crazy View Post
    I have two young children and we finally decided to get a family pet. We chose a Lab because they are one of the best temperaments for children. The puppy is only 5 months old, and recently she has started showing some aggression.

She is very stubborn and will not listen unless "bribed with a treat" which is getting frustrating. She wants bribes with "Come" as well.

SO...I have to grab her collar to get her to listen to me sometimes, to get her off the furniture, go outside and other things like that. Today when I grabbed her collar because she refused to go outside...she started snarling and trying to bite me. I am unsure how to handle this as it took me a bit by surprise. I have never had a lab act this way. I picked her up and put her outside. (soon she will be much to big for me to do this)

I have also had her jump up and bite at me out of nowhere when walking her. (usually bites my hand) or get too excited and jump and try to bite at my face...she has torn my clothes at chest level doing this. I am hoping this behavior is only because she is playing and hasn't yet learned to control herself.

Any suggestions on how to prevent her snapping with teeth and how to handle it when she does would be greatly appreciated. I cannot have unpredictable behavior around the children. I have been keeping her supervised around the kids at all times as she loves to jump on them and chase them.

I am hoping we are just in a phase.
    for starters, the does NOT sound like aggression. it sounds like an untrained, not exercised enough pup.

she isn't really stubborn, she just doesn't know what to do. untrained.

rather than saying "bribed with a treat" why not think of it as "behavior management, " as you would with kids. then if you make a big fuss, sweet voice, good doggie, eventually you can remove the treat and just use praise.

grabbing her collar, and getting rough will only make her wild and nippy. not what you want. rough, i found doesn't work and i am also not a fan, of pinning a dog to prove you are the alpha. not necessary.

have you taken a class with other pups, for socialization and some minimal training (sit, stay, down, heel, come)? i suggest it strongly. this teaches the pup who is in charge, but without grabbing and getting frustrated.

most labs are mouthy at that age, rarely leaving bite marks -more like scratches. not pleasant and not needed, i agree.

she also needs exercise. lots of exercise. chasing a ball, a frisbee, long walks.

do you have a crate? not for punishment, but for their own space, away from the tumult of little kids. often they go into it on their own, with a toy, and chill.

and fyi-"come" is one of the hardest commands i've ever had to teach. sometimes , an extra long lead, letting the dog out, and then calling, and using the lead to pull in , if need be. and practice practice practice.

i want to say "it's not a phase" but if YOU do something to modify the puppy behavior. otherwise, it won't get better by itself.

and while labs are the very best dog to have with kids, i'd still supervise at least, until the dog is trained to stop on a dime.
    my grandson lived with us, while i had 3 very well trained labs and i was convinced he could remove their eyes with a melon scooper and they wouldn't move, however, it wasn't his dog, and i didnt leave them alone.

good luck, and i swear, you will have a nice pup, but you gotta do it.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Two more things. First, have you contacted your breeder for suggestions? Especially if that person is somewhat local, they should be able to direct you to the right trainer so you can learn to build a relationship w/ your pup.
    Second, and along the same lines, I've found the source of the problem is generally staring back at you when you look in the mirror. This sounds like a puppy who has not been given clear instruction. I understand time contraints w/ kids etc, but a puppy is not a lot different than adding a 3rd child for those first couple years.

Bribery w/ food doesn't work for the long haul. Reward (whether praise, kibble or whatever) does work. My youngest turned 6mos on Sat and I can honestly say she's probably only needed "correction" 3 times and then those were either self correction (on a prong once) or voice correction.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

That's no aggression, that's a puppy. Spend some time training the dog. Labs don't become amazing family members just by being a lab and being born. They need to be raised and trained.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

this post is from May and the poster has not been back since then.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Good catch... how do people even find these old posts?

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Dryfo is offline Senior Member

seems to happen a lot here. not sure if people are searching by key word. but because there is very little action on this board old threads may still be on page 1 so they may just have spotted it.

db09jku is offline Junior Member

Mine went through mild aggression at about 4 months, and I am hesitant to even call it aggression. She would nip at us, especially the little ones, my 6 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter. She would jump up on them, almost appearing to insert her "dominance". That is what I took it as. She stopped doing it, I taught them how to establish their dominance over her, by a firm, loud and direct "NO", which I had established with her. I also reinforced, when it happened, with a "NO" of my own. She caught on. I can make her lay down, with a very firm "NO", a motion toward her and my finger pointed at her.

db09jku is offline Junior Member

And crap, I see this was an older post!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12