Counter Jumping
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Counter Jumping

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

DefaultCounter Jumping

Did some searches.. on counter jumping..
    Know not to leave anything on counters
    Say off.. or leave it
    In Puppy class I asked this question too ( mouse traps were suggested ) cover by a towel ( I did not try this)
    Have 900 sq ft clean tidy house...
    If it is not the counter it is the dinning table or the bathroom sink stealing my toothpaste or toilet paper
    With the other labs after time NO was NO....on counter jumping

But my beautiful boy is a piece of work!!!

Any suggestions ,,for a heavy duty counter jumper..?

auggiedoggie is offline Junior Member

I too, am experiencing this jumping on the counter behavior with my 6 month old lab, it just started) I quickly correct the behavior by using "OFF" as a command, but the puppy continues to jump up on the counter. (My old 12 year old lab occasionally jumped on the counter, not frequently, and not to steal food, but to grab a towel and run, I think Labs just cant help themselves!) The toilet paper rolls are now placed on top of the towel rack. I am also dealing with a 70lb puppy that jumps on us as a well as playfully bites at us as he is jumping up. Even though it is playful, it still hurts. Is the jumping on people a normal lab puppy behavior that he will outgrow as we reinforce the OFF command? I am doing my best to correct the bad behavior, but this pup has quite a bit of energy, and 70lbs and still growing hurts when he jumps on me unexpectantly.

piperpuppy is offline Senior Member

I too am dealing with a counter surfer! As soon as we say off, she gets down but sometimes she is able to get a treat...like yesterday Piper stole my seven year olds' waffles...with rewards like that I despair of ever breaking her of the habit!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ripley's Mom is offline Junior Member

Oh so glad to know I'm not alone! Counter surfing and jumping up are two things I'm working on with my 7month old lab. Figure there's another 6-12 months of the puppy stage. I've learned that the more excercise he gets, the better behaved he is so we walk 2-3 times each day which helps tremendously.

cookiemom is offline Junior Member

Defaultcounter jumping

There is a product called a scat mat that emits a vibration or a shrill sound when jumped on. They come in different sizes to be used for couches and long and narrow for countertops. You can google where to find them. I haven't tried them but my puppy will keep it in mind when Boone is bigger.

auggiedoggie is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. I wonder if I can wear the scat mat as a coat to prevent him from jumping on me ; )

Jimbo B is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by auggiedoggie View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I wonder if I can wear the scat mat as a coat to prevent him from jumping on me ; )
    Good one..
    Did a search,,you have to plug it in I think.
    Right now Moses is a changed dog..hardly jumps on counters.(knock on wood)
    He does not jump on me..but anyone else look out!!!

But is is always good to get tips

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

Make a shaker can! A shaker can consists of an old plastic bleach bottle or something like that, a handful of gravel or aquarium rocks and screw the cap back on...and you are done!!!

When your dog jumps up on the counter etc. slam the "shaker can" on your leg or your hand or the counter beside him - the can will make a big sound and if made correctly will create an octave level that LABS and most dogs HATE! My obedience teacher taught us this method and IT WORKS!!! We used it to keep our lab out of the laundry room where his food, treats, laundry detergent and all laundry items and cat litter are stored. If he came into that room we would bang it on the door frame and he would scamper off with his tail between his legs. He never goes into that room anymore.

It is a very effective tool if used correctly - the timing is critical. You can also use this tool to stop any unwanted behaviours

xracer4844 is offline Senior Member

I forgot to mention...when you hit the shaker can use a command like OFF at the same time or whatever command your dog understands

Starbucksjunkie is offline Junior Member

I'm gonna try the shaker can idea too. Our 15 week puppy just started that behavior two days ago. Its not even about food. She pulls things off the table like gloves or my hat. I'm afraid I won't ever be able to break her now because the first time she did it, she scored half of my husband's ham sandwich! I chased her and tried to scold her but ruined it cuz I was laughing so hard. I couldn't catch her before she gobbled it up. Once was funny, but now she does it all the time when I make dinner, when we sit at the table, etc.

My husband thinks it was retaliation for burgling her turds cuz she tries to eat them! I think she's just being a scavenger
    !

+ Reply to Thread