Poop eating puppy :(
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poop eating puppy :(

lab91 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPoop eating puppy :(

Well my puppy has recently started this disgusting behavior of eating his poop, also known as coprophagia. He has done this a couple of times now, and its really gross. I've heard of a number of methods to stop this behavior, namely adding pineapples, hot sauce, pumpkin.

I do not know why he has started this behavior, as he eats enough and is on very good kibble, Now Fresh puppy food, along with fruits and veggies as snacks. Even though this behavior is common in many dogs, I really want him to stop this behavior ASAP! If any of you have had any experiences with this is and ways to prevent Labs from eating there own poop, please share!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

it happens. lots of puppies/dogs do it either as a phase or some as a way of life!

pick up! if you pick it up he can't eat it - and hope be forgets about it as he ages.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

None of the methods you mention in your post (OP) work. You need to correct the dog when he goes for his poop (stand there and verbally correct and pull him away) and pick up the poop immediately. I have one now who does this and one of my Labs did when he was younger. The Lab no longer eats poop. The little dog is a work in progress.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    None of the methods you mention in your post (OP) work. You need to correct the dog when he goes for his poop (stand there and verbally correct and pull him away) and pick up the poop immediately. I have one now who does this and one of my Labs did when he was younger. The Lab no longer eats poop. The little dog is a work in progress.
    Agreed. I would think that if you add hot sauce and he eats in anyways you would end up with an even worse problem on your hands. My dog eats cat poop, but we try to watch him closely and correct him before he eats it. Work in progress.

J.R. and June

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    ^^ This 1000!!
    I scared the 2 of mine good enough that they actually avoid ALL poop, their own or any other kind like it is, well, what it is! It worked for me but you have to be VERY aware and vigilant. It can be a time consuming process but well worth it if it works for your dog.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Siren isn't interested in his own poop but the random cat poops in the yard he goes crazy for. I have one cat who loves to go out for hours at a time. I try to keep her in as much as possible to keep her from pooping outside, but when she's looking at me with those Puss in Boots eyes, and it's a nice day, I can't say no. Its much harder to find the cat poops to clean them up. I can tell when Siren has his nose to the ground sniffing like crazy that he's on the trail of some. I pull him away, say no and will scoop it up to avoid any issues.

lab91 is offline Junior Member

well I have tried the above methods, and no success yet

When he does his business and leaves the area, I click and treat him. But he will still attempt to go back and eat his poop.

I have taken him on a leash after he is done, to verbally say "no" and "leave it" which he will and then I click and treat. However, if for any time he is alone after pooping he will not leave it and instead go and eat, even if left alone for a few minutes.

I try to pick up right away, as I tell someone else to keep him company while I pick up, so he does not get the idea of him trying to pick up and clean his area. But, as soon as he his back outside he will run, with his nose down, and go to the garbage can and sniff to find the poop!

I'm becoming really afraid this is starting to become a habit, as he now almost eats it daily. (Every morning when he is not supervised).

Are you bagging the poop and putting it into a closed (and maybe bungee corded) can? You must have the Einstein of Labs if you can't outsmart him.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lab91 View Post
    well I have tried the above methods, and no success yet

When he does his business and leaves the area, I click and treat him. But he will still attempt to go back and eat his poop.

I have taken him on a leash after he is done, to verbally say "no" and "leave it" which he will and then I click and treat. However, if for any time he is alone after pooping he will not leave it and instead go and eat, even if left alone for a few minutes.

I try to pick up right away, as I tell someone else to keep him company while I pick up, so he does not get the idea of him trying to pick up and clean his area. But, as soon as he his back outside he will run, with his nose down, and go to the garbage can and sniff to find the poop!

I'm becoming really afraid this is starting to become a habit, as he now almost eats it daily. (Every morning when he is not supervised).
    I don't really understand the situation.

honestly I would stop playing around the poop trying to train because it doesn't sound like it is working at all and it may be confusing him.

When he poops, pick it up. YES this means you need to be outside with him (he must have some kind of shedule so once he has pooped and you picked it up then maybe you can leave him alone a bit). DO NOT PUT HIM OUT UNSUPERVISED. You know he is eating it daily when you put him out unsupervised in the morning - so don't do that.

Throw it out and put the garbage/pail OUT OF HIS REACH. Outside the fence, in teh garage, in the front yard, fence off the garbage, put it in the shed - whatever.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yeah, I don;t get it either. The little dog I have now is also a poop eater and he is stealthy. I go out with him and he is on a long lead - I hold the lead and right after he goes I verbally and physically correct him from turning around to snatch it up. He is learning that it is not allowed - but I also pick it up too.

Sound to me like you just need to be more consistent in how you manage this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast