Poop eating puppy :( - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poop eating puppy :(

Ruby No! is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    ^^ This × 1000!!
    I scared the 2 of mine good enough that they actually avoid ALL poop, their own or any other kind like it is, well, what it is! It worked for me but you have to be VERY aware and vigilant. It can be a time consuming process but well worth it if it works for your dog.
    How!? I can't scare Ruby, she she'll alert to my "scary" actions then you can see her presume me a poser.
    I have never been able to make Ruby fear me.

She is in obedience school now and getting better but is a poop connoisseur. And there is nothing like a fart from a lab that has ingested poop now is there.
    Labradorious Omnivorious:

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

Critter is offline Junior Member

My Puppy was doing that for awhile too...you need to supervise, pick the poop up right away, keep saying leave it, and lots of patience. They are new to the world and need time to understand what is food and what is not. Good Luck

kyle_stallworth is offline Junior Member

I have a seven tips for you to stop your dog eating his poops.
    Feed our dog a healthy and balanced diet.
    Fixed feeding schedule and on-leash supervision.
    Keep our dogs busy and well-exercised.
    Keep our dog’s environment clean.
    Help our dog reduce stress.
    Teach our dog the ‘Leave-it’ command.
    Make the dog poop taste bad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have largely given up on Ruby in this regard.

Diet:

Meat, Fruit, Vegetables, Bread, Plastic. Paper Products, Pine Cones, Print Servers, Feces, Wood Products, Rubber, Cotton, DVDs.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I have 5 acres here (3.5 in hay) and 8 labs so clean up is a bit impossible. The youngest (4mos) carries everything in her mouth... recently including, you guessed it!!!
    I tell her to drop it (help her out by prying open her mouth as she already knows GIVE, however, I reallly don't want to have THAT given to me!). Then I make a big production saying "ICK!!!!!!!!!!! THAT's GROSS!!!"
    I actually think it's working.... that and upping the technicality of training so she isn't bored. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

I'm going to try some Tabasco sauce on her piles.

Diet:

arlinevg is offline Member

I was just going to post that my 16 month black lab, Odie, is a poop eating lab and ask for advice, but then I saw this post. Odie started eating our older lab's poops when he was about 6 months old (maybe even a little older). We became hyper vigilant about picking up Bailey's poop within seconds of her going and keeping Odie inside when we knew she was going out to do her business. One day he was playing in a field with two other labs and when one lab assumed the poop position I started running out to where he was, knowing what Odie was going to do......sure enough he had his mouth right underneath catching it as it came out the shoot. I couldn't run to them fast enough to stop it. On walks he is constantly sniffing and attempting to eat poop. It makes walks with him unenjoyable at times because you have to stay constantly vigilant on what he is sniffing and if he's about to gobble up some random animal poop. He will usually "leave it" or "drop it", but if it's particularly succulent he won't. I feel badly because I'd like to allow him more sniff "freedom", but it usually ends with him gobbling up some poop he found. I should also add that at about 10 months of age, he started eating his own poop too. He is fed a premium dog food, gets a dog vitamin everyday and a tablespoon of canned pumpkin in his food (fed twice a day). I tried putting Tabasco all over Bailey's poop once and he still ate it. I continue to work on the drop it and leave it commands, but I see NO indication that he will stop this behavior. In fact, last night he was out playing in a nearby field with another lab and then ran off into the underbrush in pursuit of poop he smelled as he ran close by. Again, I couldn't reach him fast enough so he devoured it before I could get him to "drop it". Anything else I could try doing that I'm not already?

sipsi is offline Junior Member

My 8 week old girl has been eating her poop since I reward him just after she pooped the correct spot. She took the reward and turned to the poop and, you know the rest... I guess she associated the poop and the food. I think this isn't the only reason but it seems the treat triggered the behavior. How am I going to reward her pottying the correct spot from now on? I am really confused.

Rupertsilva10 is offline Junior Member

Some puppies do that. We once had a puppy too who ate his own poop. Thankfully it was only a phase. He stopped shortly after only a month.

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Gracie is a Turd Hound. Walks after dark is a real challenge !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast