Outside aggression
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside aggression

Hjc20 is offline Member

DefaultOutside aggression

The last week or so, my pup (5 months) has been acting up on her walks outside. She first did it to me last week and for this past week shes been doing it to her human dad too. She randomly turns around and starts growling, jumping and snapping. I don't know where this is coming from. But its only when we take her outside. Its surprising. She has never acted like this before. She has bitten the both of us doing this. And she does it right in public in front of people all the time. Its concerning me... Any advice? Btw- She is vaccinated for rabies. Shes never showed any type of aggression since we have had her. This is a first.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Are you sure it's aggression and not play. Puppy play is jumping growling and biting. When they're in a state of excited play, it's hard to control them. It's likely that she reached the age where she needs some "no jump" "no bite" training sessions.

Hjc20 is offline Member

Its not play at all. She stops in mid walk and does it. Its as though something just hits her and she snaps. She has had the no jump no bite training. We have worked (and still are working) on that with her since the day we got her. I know when she is trying to play, she wags her tail and does a roll type thing. And this sort of aggression is different. She shows her teeth. Both of us showed concern after it happened a few more times. He even said to me she is acting different outside. I thought that maybe she just wants off the leash and wants to run when we walk her. But shes still in leash training and not ready to go off on her own. I dont know. I dont know what to think. =/ Esp when she does it in front of people. How are you supposed to react to that?

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Not sure why it being in front of others is an issue. Are you afraid she is going to go after people?

How much formal training have you done with her (an obedience or puppy K class)? How much daily exercise is she getting?

She honestly sounds to me like she is underexercised, lacking in formal training and being an annoying teenager. Lying down and rolling over is not a typical presentation for play - jumping up and acting crazy is at that age. This is the age a lot of Labs wind up in a shelter as their training, exercise and socialization has not been adequate and they are becoming problems for their owners.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

It really does sound like play. Puppies play fight like human boys do. Growling, showing teeth, snapping are part of dog play. Inappropriate play with humans but it's your job to teach her what appropriate play is. You could always call a behaviourist in (a whole other story, finding one who is legit) or, are you doing training classes with her? Maybe if your trainer see this you could be reassured. Most likely you will be reassured, it's a rare Lab from a reputable breeder who is going to have an aggression problem.

How much exercise is she getting? Leashed walks and off leash play? Did you do classes? Don't quit, puppy classes are just the beginning. Does she have a doggy friend to play off leash with? An older, bigger female dog is often a good playmate to show young whipper snappers how to mind their manners and such lessons can spill over to you too. Right now there is a very good chance she is simply treating you like dogs. Or

Love my Black Lab is offline Junior Member

My Bear has just started the growling with showing teeth and hair on end, very scary. This is our 4th ( one at a a time), all males. I take him to day care at else twice a week where e lays with many other supervised dogs and he lives this. We play off leash in the yard now but when he finds certain sticks, yes I try to remove them, he gets very aggressive. What can I do?

My Bear now 16 months has started to be very aggressive with certain sticks. Did the puppy classes and continue to work with him every day. Talked to the breeder who also made the comment about "teenager". Any suggestions are appreciated .

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

If you have questions, start new threads. Don't tag them on to the end of a super old thread. It helps people find your questions and answer them.

jertom is offline Senior Member

thank you, was beginning to think it was just me.
    researching old info is fine, but why link on to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbelly View Post
    If you have questions, start new threads. Don't tag them on to the end of a super old thread. It helps people find your questions and answer them.

Thank you, I am new to the forum and did not realize that, will resubmit. Looking at you counts I can see yu have been here many times would you mind answering a very generic question. I posted a photo but it shows on its side how do I correct that? Any how do I start a new thread?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast