New puppy won't stop crying when left alone
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New puppy won't stop crying when left alone

leogirl152 is offline Junior Member

Default New puppy won't stop crying when left alone

I just adopted a black lab puppy on black friday. Her name is Sachi, which is Japanese for blissful child (in hopes that she will live up to the name since my last lab, Marley, did). She was the runt, which I believe make the most loyal dogs, thats all I ever try to get are runts. Anyways. She did great with going to her kennel. She is still working on the house training, but she understands the command "outside" & will usually let me know if she needs to go, which is to be expected; can't always have them housed trained by 8 weeks like some I've had. She pottys outside when taken out. All in all she has really been doing very well. The only problems I have & need help with is her whining/crying/screaming when not with us... What I mean by this is if she cannot see us:
    So she will go in her kennel all by herself I can lock her in it & she is fine, but the minute you walk out of her sight she starts. I was told to put a sheet over the kennel so it still allows for air flow but will block her from seeing everything that might cause her to lose it. So I did & it worked until she figured out we weren't there anymore. Now she's started again even with the sheet. However, she will usually stop after about 30 minutes.
    The other issue is she will not go out to potty by herself & will also not always go unless you stand out the for quite a while. She also doesn't fully eliminate, in which she will come inside & pee; but she never poops inside except in her kennel. If you left her out but don't go out with her she will jump on the door whining/crying/screaming until you go out with her or let her in. She won't even go outside by herself with other dogs, she has to have you out with her.
    I can handle all the other issues which are typical puppy training, but I've never had a dog that whined/cried like she does, not even my other labs. I have toys & stuffed animals in her kennal with her to help soothe but nothing helps. I don't want to write a whole story on here as I've tried lots of other stuff too but nothing seems to work. How can I get her to stop being so "clingy" (I guess would be the word, I know labs are people dogs & love to be with you, but this is way more than any other lab I've ever had/known) 24/7? By that I mean... Not crying/whining when going outside to potty by herself & when we're not in her sight?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is she? If she is around 8 weeks (or 9,10,11 weeks) she is far too young to be outdoors without direct supervision.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

She is likely too young to be outside alone anyway, puppies get into a lot of trouble outside when they stop whining. If you are also still house training you need to be out there to see if she goes or not and reward.

she was just taken away from her litter. Up until now she has ALWAYS been with other people (err dogs). So OF COURSE she is going to find it hard to be alone for the first time in her life. Ignore the whining. As soon as there is a break go see her. Leave something like kibble in her crate when you leave to keep her busy (though she may ignore it). It will take time and patience for her to learn that it is ok to be alone.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am not sure at what age she was taken from her mother, but you mentioned: "She is still working on the house training, but she understands the command "outside" & will usually let me know if she needs to go, which is to be expected; can't always have them housed trained by 8 weeks like some I've had." So "by 8 weeks"...are you saying you had her before she was 8 weeks? Puppies need to be with their litter till at least 8 weeks. Getting her too early could be part of the problem. Also, she should not be pooping in her crate! You should have a divider in it so that is only big enough to stand up and turn around. She needs to be taken out often enough that she doesn't poop in it. As far as the crying...put on an old t-shirt, wear it around for awhile, then put it in with her. Your smell on it may help with the crying. I agree, she is way to young to be outside unsupervised! As far as not emilinating all the way, dogs will often pee in several places before they are done. You are taking her back in to soon. Good Luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thank you all for the advice. She does go very well outside. She has been doing better about not pooping in her kennel. I've done the shirt thing & it doesn't help. I know she still needs to have supervision outside but what I meant by that was when we were visiting my in laws she loved their dogs but wouldn't go out with them unless a human went with her. I know its new for her. I've had her just over 2 weeks & the person said they were 8+ weeks, so I say she is about 10 weeks now. She also adores my husband & when he is home she is right when him. So I think by him spending so more time with her or when he scolds her she listens better. Typical, all dogs love him, can't figure it out. I gave her a bath with my son's baby shampoo & blow dried her just before bed, haven't heard a peep out of her, so we may be on to something to easy her.
    The story of Sachi is that 2 pregnant mama dogs were dropped off in the person's yard just a few days apart. They called the pound to which they were told the dogs would be put down pregnant & all if brought in. So they decided to keep the dogs & foster them until the puppies could be adopted. So when I went to adopt one, I fell in love with the runt & made the decision to adopt her; I had been looking for another puppy for some time & hadn't found the one that I felt that click with. Each set of mama & puppies were keep in their own rooms with food & water, but the puppies were not even started of house training. The person just let them destroy the room they were in by peeing & pooping everywhere. So for her to be this far along from that is awesome. That was another factor in wanting to adopt her.
    As I said... There is a lot that I didn't write as it would be a lot to read but trust me that I have tried practically everything as I grew up with dogs & raising dogs from puppies. I know what it takes to make a dog into a family member. They are my babies just like my son. I just had never had a dog that cried like she does before & didn't know if there might be something anyone might know about. Black labs are definitely different than yellow labs for sure.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am glad you adopted! The poor things! Some people! How can they just dump their dog! Anyway, she will get better with the crying as she gets older. I would get her doggy shampoo, human shampoo has the wrong PH. Also, don't bathe her very often. Labs get dried out skin if you do.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

That is great she is doing so well.
    When you get time some photos would be wonderful. She sounds so cute.

I used to think dogs obeyed men better, but learned it is how we treat them. My commands were "please sit...please come" and they didn't obey. I learned to be firm and if I gave a command followed up on it. I have to be careful I don't treat the dogs like children.I have to remeber they are dogs needing training, being consistent, and firm while loving them.

I don't think it is colour, but more temperament and lifestyle, or training. I have had 2 blacks, a yellow and chocolate and each is different. I adopted Ernie after I lost his littermate and they are very different. He had a different life for 4 years before I got him. I rescued 5 year old Chocolate Tess last year and she is different, but does some of the things Kass did.

Tessa slept somewhere outside before I got her so took time to settle inside. She cried a lot and I kept putting something I wore beside her. Now she drags my clothes into her bed to sleep on.

It takes time. Both mine miss me if I even go to the mail box.

My vet suggests not to use a blow drier on them and not use a human shampoo. Most of us here don't bath our dogs unless they are really stinky. I have never bathed Erns.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Just so you know. Human baby shampoo is not the correct pH for a dogs skin. If you are going to bathe a puppy, you need dog/puppy specific shampoo. And bathing should be infrequent if at all for Labs. I know you have a mix, but generally bathing strips oils from the coat and (oddly) make a dog smell bad mre quickly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Last edited by leogirl152; 12-10-2012 at 01:03 AM.

Woohoo... 2 days of no major crying fits. & no accidents in her kennel, even over night. So happy that she is finally starting to ease a bit. It was so hard with all of us sick & her doing all that. But we got through it.
    Pam thank you. & thank you for the advice everyone. I usually use puppy shampoo that is all natural but was out & our shampoos are all natural so I knew it wouldn't hurt one time. I usually won't bathe my labs unless they smell, are really dirty, or get bad fleas. I know labs are notorious for skin conditions. I've been working with her training more & she has several commands down; sit, outside, inside, kennel, dinner, no. We are going to work on the biting come the new year. Any suggestions? We have her toys & chew treat things (ie: kongs, rawhides...) & she knows what is her's from anything else (we keep her's in a separate area so she doesn't get confused & chew up our stuff). Just don't want her to bite & draw blood (my family is from farm country which believes once an animal has a taste of blood they will do it again, usually having to be put down or rehomed to a new single home). We don't want that.
    I always do rescue type adoptions, they make such loving dogs, & it can completely change their world. My last lab you could tell had been neglected by the owners wife; he was very timid of women until he got to know them. I fostered him (to save from the pound) until he was more relaxed, followed commands better, & would ride in cars better; then adopted him out to a lovely family with 2 older boys & very active, perfect for him. The lab before that was a sweetheart that I rescued from a horrible place. The lady kept him kenneled in a cage outside (in the winter from December to February, when we adopted him at 8 weeks) in his own feces, very badly flea ridden, & malnourished. He also had tape worms & round worms. We got him back to health & he was so obediant; never ran off, stayed close, never needed to be leashed, would come when called, housebroken by 12 weeks, very well trained (sit, stay, shake with both paws, high five with both paws, lay, speak, fetch...). Both were male & yellow labs.
    Sachi is a trip & I'm blessed to have her as my new baby & apart of our family.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast