"Normal" 5-6 month old puppy
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Normal" 5-6 month old puppy

shorT is offline Junior Member

Default "Normal" 5-6 month old puppy

Normal 5-6 month old lab puppy behavior includes the following, right?
    • Jumping
    • nipping
    • growling
    • Deciding to ignore/forget training and commands
    • running like a crazy dog
    • whining when he doesn't get is way
    • Asking to go outside every 10 minutes just for the change of scenery
    • and generally driving the parents crazy

Right?

Harley is demonstrating all of these traits, and I just want to confirm that these are the normal joys of puppyhood and he'll grow/train out of these.... in 2-5 years.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Although they may be things a lab puppy will try you need to make sure you are correcting theses behaviors with consistent training. They do not just grow up and decide not to do these things it takes a lot of work. Is your puppy getting enough exercise?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

well....yes it's normal to a certain extent for puppies to misbehave and have moments of crazyness, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be getting better. Actually it sounds like your puppy isn't getting enough exercise and training.

How much training are you doign daily? Have you taken a puppy class? How much (and what type) of exercise is the puppy getting?

These things will NOT magically improve with time - they will improve with daily training, addres each issue, and proper exercise.
    Last edited by Tanya; 03-28-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I think he's getting plenty of exercise. We go on one 40-minute walk in the morning and one to two more 15-20 minute walks in the afternoon/evening. He also gets free play time outside in the backyard. We typically have 30-40 minutes of fetch, if he's feeling in the mood, and 45 minute in aggregate of training. He also has mental stimulation toys that he plays with for an hour or so each day.

He's also in Basic training and does fairly well. I know he won't just "grow out" of the bad behavior, but a bit of maturity does tend to help the regular training.

I probably make it seem like he's hyper -- he's really not. But at some point during the day, he will exhibit each of these traits. Not all at once mind you, but just at some point. My BF remembers his calm lab from his childhood, and I'm trying to explain that Harley's actions are pretty typical of a lab puppy.

Also, he goes an plays with his "aunties" (2 12-year old labs) at my mom's house on day per week, and doggy day care 1 other day per week.

ScorpianAbarth is offline Senior Member

It's possible that he's overtired, have you tried an 'enforced' nap (crate) when he starts acting silly?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpianAbarth View Post
    It's possible that he's overtired, have you tried an 'enforced' nap (crate) when he starts acting silly?
    good point.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yes, he gets a time-out when he goes crazy, and sometimes, he ends up napping for a bit.

Most of these traits come out when he wants to play, and we are working on re-directing. ("No Bite!", then grab a toy "Toy! Good Boy." or "Ball? Fetch!")

I think I just wanted confirmation that these traits are pretty typical of lab puppies and with training, patience and love, most dogs work through issues.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I find that walks rarely tire out my crew. Running and wrestling is better for that. Walks is like an appetizer. They are wound up ready for more after a nice leisurely 45 minute walk.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Labs will definitely try your patience! It sounds to me like you are doing things right, I would try some more free time play, fetching, etc. As stated above walks are a teaser and really don't tire them out. Maybe that will help a little.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast