Introducing new puppy with 12 year old dog - tips?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introducing new puppy with 12 year old dog - tips?

kromulok is offline Senior Member

Default Introducing new puppy with 12 year old dog - tips?

We currently have a lab/border collie that is 12 years old and she is my baby. She is such a good girl and loves her family. She is a bit 'crotchety' tho when it comes to seeing other dogs. She gets what seems to be a bit aggressive and scrambles to the window barking as if she wants to kill them - all while her tail is wagging at 100 mph. The only dog she really interacts with is our neighbors basset hound. They are like DFFs and just LOVE playing and being around each other. So I know my dog 'can' get along but I do have some concerns about bringing home the puppy. We are prepared to put in a lot of work to get them to accept each other and we have read a lot of good tips about how to initially introduce them and steps to take to make sure the older dog doesnt feel like she is replaced and chop liver now to help prevent her resenting the pup.

I am sure things will end up well, but this forum has a LOT of great advice so please ... advise away

PS the pup will be male as there are a lot of opinions on if fem/fem or fem/male get along better and more often than not what I have seen and read is go with fem/male. Of course every situation is different but figure it sounds the safest choice.

Samson is offline Senior Member

It's difficult to respond unless you have a problem ! ( as you can see from the replies )

You have obviously researched the does and donts of the introductions so I assume that you have the basics ?

Like - meeting on neutral territory for the first meeting ( somewhere that there is no danger of infection if the pup hasn't had it's shots )

Crating is a good idea as your Lab cross can inspect the pup without any danger !

Not leaving them alone for a minute of course until you are sure it has been accepted !

Lot's of treats and praise for the oldster when the pup's around !

What have I missed ?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would definitely introduce them on neutral territory, the barking you're talking about sounds like a bit of territorial aggression (tail wag does not always = happiness/excitement).

I personally think the most important factor is YOUR attitude. Don't be worried or afraid or nervous, she will pick up on that and feel like she should probably feel the same way, lol! Just act like this is no big deal, calmly reward her for being around the pup and she will be OK with it.

People go back and forth on whether or not to intervene, but personally I would watch for signs of stress and intervene then if he starts pushing her buttons. Not every dog is good at sticking up for themselves, so you need to make sure she's not getting bullied by the pup.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

lol samsun i guess you are right. I didnt ask any outright question and I have done a lot of reading to see how this is best approached. Even with that said, this community has experience and stories of all types of scenarios and learning more from everyone's personal situations in regard to this topic is also helpful and appreciated. I guess I was just looking for any tips or personal experiences others have had with this topic. Or maybe I just like reading everyones posts too much - cant help it, im still quite new here heh.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Puppies want to play, play, play! I would make sure the new pup doesn't aggrivate the older dog all the time. Also, remember your 12 yr old was there first, so has senority! Our Sophie barks like crazy at any dog going up the street, but if let outside, she just wants to play with them. Sometimes I think they bark just "because"...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would thread carefully. it may go just fine or it may be hell. I would ask the breeder to get something witth the puppies' smell on them to bring home (or they an mail it) to get your dog used to the smell. Try and let them meet outside (if the backyard is fenced that could work). monitor their interactions closely but stay relaxed (if you are stressed the dogs will "feel" that and it will effect how things go).

Make sure to put work into socializing your puppy to other random dogs as much as possible, start in safe environments until they have had all their shots though.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Brette is offline Senior Member

Oh I've been through this and it wasn't easy at first! I ended up giving them quite a bit of time by themselves until the puppy learned some manners. I did lots of physical activity with the pup so that he would be pooped at home and less likely to want to bounce around the old guy. In the end it all worked out, it was just an awkward adjustment period in the house for me.

Hope it goes well!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Be sure to crate the puppy. Give your senior dog breaks from puppy. Give your senior dog one on one time with you.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I also have a Lab/Border Collie mix female she is a sweetie! She was not happy the firt day or 2 Maxx was home and wanted nothing to do with him. Within a week he was HER puppy - they are as attached as Emma was to my Lab, Ozzy, that passed away in June. I definitely did not leave them alone until I was sure, Maxx will play forever and Emma gets her fill after spurts of 20 minutes or so. It is so sweet to find them passed out, cuddled up together. Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

+ Reply to Thread