4 week old lab pup
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 week old lab pup

muffin is offline Junior Member

Default 4 week old lab pup

hi,

a breeder sold me a 4 week old lab pup by claiming him to be 7 weeks old. Since this is my first pup i could not figure out the pup's age by looking at him. Also, the pup was not in good health when i got him and upon taking him to vet i got to know his real age. I confronted with breeder but he refused to acknowledge his mistake. I asked the breeder to keep the pup with his mother and siblings for 4 more weeks after which i would take him home. But the breeder told me that he had himself got this pup from somewhere else and had no clue about this pup's family.

I simply adore my lab and want to do everything possible to make him sociable in a humane manner. I would be obliged if experienced members can guide me...

regds

deidra is offline Senior Member

WOW 4 weeks!!! I would just follow the vets advice. make sure he stays in your yard and does not go around other dogs that dont have all their shots.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

ivandegi is offline Junior Member

hi muffin,
    I passed through a similar story a couple of weeks ago. On 2 december 2011, I adopted a puppy through an internet ad from a young person (he had no pretences that he was a breeder), but was first told she's 6 weeks old then 4 weeks old at the time. However, the vet first set the birthday on 25 Oct, then moved it to approx 15 October on the second visit (through a growth chart) - meaning that when we adopted her, she was 6 weeks old.

To help integration ,we are exposing her to as much people as possible - of all ages - from my grandparents, to parents, aunts, neighbours, younger cousins, 1 baby, 1 fully vaccinated dog, and lots and lots of cats.

Our main problem is the biting - as naturally, the mother and littermates would have helped wean her off biting. As well as urinating at home - but that's mainly our fault as we don't always notice the tell-tale messages she sends us. As regards to Nr2, the signals are more pronounced and there were only problems in the first week.

Edit - did the vet confirm that it's a lab after all? when I adopted Nina, the advert said: I have a puppy similar to that in the picture.
    This picture here: http://www.cambewarralabradors.com/wp-content/gallery/puppy-gallery/labrador-puppy.jpg. It did resemble the one in the picture, but with a smaller frame. The more she grows, however, the more she unresembles a labrador.
    Last edited by ivandegi; 01-03-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Hi Deidra/Ivandegi

thnx for responding !! The doc has confirmed that it's a lab..

i am keeping it confined to my home and following vet's advice to ensure that he is fit and fine..doc has given him first shot of vaccination and dewormed him ..

also, how many times should i feed the pup?? i am feeding him puppy food (pfizer's canobits, which he eats voraciously) and yogurt in small quantities 6-7 times a day (puppy seems hungry after every 2 hours)...

any advice on biting inhibition/potty training would be greatly appreciated .. i am tired of cleaning the mess ...

thnx

Samson is offline Senior Member

Before anybody wades in, this is another little Lab pup in India !

I feed Nina 3 times a day, allowing her to eat as much as she wants from the bowl, then removing the bowl after about 15 minutes. I feed her Pedigree Junior wet food. Twice or three times a day, I play with her giving her Whiskas kibbles (I know it's for cats but she prefers them from her own food). I'm not an expert or a breeder - first puppy here - so there are people in this forum that are far more qualified than me.

re biting: we found this useful
    How to Stop Puppy Play Biting - YouTube
    + redirecting + moving her to her crate when she persists.

re Potty training: mixed feelings.
    sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's frustrating
    the first week was a nightmare for us! there are a lot of resources available for advice.
    In a perfect world, you keep her in a crate and let her out every hour to pee / poo
    what I found more convenient is :
    poo 1-15 minutes after waking up / eating
    pee 1-5 minutes after waking and any other time (especially when you have just washed the floor / settled down on the sofa

is there a problem with India?

Quote Originally Posted by ivandegi View Post
    I feed Nina 3 times a day, allowing her to eat as much as she wants from the bowl, then removing the bowl after about 15 minutes. I feed her Pedigree Junior wet food. Twice or three times a day, I play with her giving her Whiskas kibbles (I know it's for cats but she prefers them from her own food). I'm not an expert or a breeder - first puppy here - so there are people in this forum that are far more qualified than me.

re biting: we found this useful
    How to Stop Puppy Play Biting - YouTube
    + redirecting + moving her to her crate when she persists.

re Potty training: mixed feelings.
    sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's frustrating
    the first week was a nightmare for us! there are a lot of resources available for advice.
    In a perfect world, you keep her in a crate and let her out every hour to pee / poo
    what I found more convenient is :
    poo 1-15 minutes after waking up / eating
    pee 1-5 minutes after waking and any other time (especially when you have just washed the floor / settled down on the sofa
    This is really helpful...kudos !!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

The problem is that puppies should not be removed from their mom and siblings before 8 weeks of age. I believe in India this is a common occurrence. In the US many states make it illegal to remove/purchase a puppy prior to 8 weeks. Puppies learn many things from mom and litter mates during this critical time. Since you have the puppy it is a moot point, gathering as much knowledge as you can to help the puppy, as you are doing, is important. Also, puppies and cats have very different nutrional needs, feeding cat food is not only inappropriate it could be dangerous. Your puppy needs to eat a quality puppy food. Feeding exclusively wet food can also cause more frequent poos. Since you do not have a responsible breeder to talk to following your vets advice would be one idea, you can also research for info on a good quality puppy food. As for the biting/nipping, Labs are a very "mouthy" breed and often do this more and for longer than other breeds. Having been removed prior to 8 weeks also contributes to this issue as they did not learn about this from mom and siblings.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ivandegi View Post
    is there a problem with India?
    Nothing wrong with India. But the reality is there isn't nearly as many "training schools" and it is much more common to let puppies leave the litter too young. Most members from India got their dogs very young (4-5 weeks). It just means our advice has to be relevant to your environment.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast