Pregnant Black Lab?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pregnant Black Lab?

Sadiedog is offline Junior Member

Default Pregnant Black Lab?

Our dog Sadie is most likely pregnant. She was in a kennel with an intact white lab august 10-14. She is noticeably bigger (especially her nipples), extra whiny and hungrier. Sadie's mom was a purebread black lab, her dad a purebread chocolate lab. Does anyone know what color the pups might be? Is it the same with people and hair color, with dark dominant hair color genes? Also, any information on nutrition for pregnant dogs, whelping box, or anything else pregnancy related would be great! Thanks!

Making a vet appointment tomorrow to confirm pregnancy.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

you can use a punnet square to figure some genetics probabilities... also just because a lab is a pure bred black or chocolate doesn't mean every dog in their lineage was that color. Often genes are carried. Like often you'll see a black sire and dam have some black and some yellow puppies.... I am sure there are breeders on this site that know more than I do on the subject...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tds
    tds is offline Member

congratulations i hope the best for Sadie.

if you can, please pm me your top 10 tips/advice for a puppy labrador i will appreciate it!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

welcome to the board

there is no need to ask the same question in three different sections of the board - people will see your question and answer in the appropriate section (any section), no need to keep posting the same question over and over agin.

You need to know what both dogs carry to predict litter colours - which you cannot tell by "looking" at the dog. Can you contact the person who bred your girl (the breeder) and ask for advice and help?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiedog View Post
    Our dog Sadie is most likely pregnant. She was in a kennel with an intact white lab august 10-14. She is noticeably bigger (especially her nipples), extra whiny and hungrier. Sadie's mom was a purebread black lab, her dad a purebread chocolate lab. Does anyone know what color the pups might be? Is it the same with people and hair color, with dark dominant hair color genes? Also, any information on nutrition for pregnant dogs, whelping box, or anything else pregnancy related would be great! Thanks!

Making a vet appointment tomorrow to confirm pregnancy.
    First congrats (I think) - you are going to be busy Are you happy about this?

Second - was this a kennel business? I would be really angry if I brought Spike to the kennel (and he was a girl) and he came home pregnant. Did you mention this to them? Even at daycare here they get watched like hawks if they're intact.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Dani is offline Senior Member

spay her and abort the litter
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

tds
    tds is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    welcome to the board

there is no need to ask the same question in three different sections of the board - people will see your question and answer in the appropriate section (any section), no need to keep posting the same question over and over agin.

You need to know what both dogs carry to predict litter colours - which you cannot tell by "looking" at the dog. Can you contact the person who bred your girl (the breeder) and ask for advice and help?
    :P just point her in the right direction!, you've helped me before Tanya , we should be caring and sympathetic here

i myself posted a thread and put about a play date in the park, and i immediately got scolded, because i shouldnt bring my pup to the dog park. i never put "dog" park

we all have labs and share some sort of love. i can train you a gaurd dog / attacker doberman, but i cant make a 3month old lab stop biting.

some guy told me dogs never want to be the leaders and theyve integrated into humans and i just thought... humans only shorten and kill dogs lifespan and force them to be domesticated... so i have toalways question does the person helping know what hes talking about, or does he think he knows... theres facts and opinions

i wish i could help Sadie but i've never bred dogs just trained a few for the family on a ranch in brasil.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tds View Post

i myself posted a thread and put about a play date in the park, and i immediately got scolded, because i shouldnt bring my pup to the dog park. i never put "dog" park

we all have labs and share some sort of love. i can train you a gaurd dog / attacker doberman, but i cant make a 3month old lab stop biting.

some guy told me dogs never want to be the leaders and theyve integrated into humans and i just thought... humans only shorten and kill dogs lifespan and force them to be domesticated... so i have toalways question does the person helping know what hes talking about, or does he think he knows... theres facts and opinions

i wish i could help Sadie but i've never bred dogs just trained a few for the family on a ranch in brasil.
    I am going to cut you a little slack since you may have some challenges with the language. I am not "some guy" I am a woman who has been part of this board for years.

Humans did not force dogs to be domesticated - it was a mutual agreement thousands of years ago.

I did not say -integrate - I said ingratiate - there is a significant difference - look it up.

I said dogs rarely want to dominate people - it is a fallacy that all dogs are seeking to be the leader in the household This concept comes from falsely comparing dogs to wolves - dogs are not wolves and don't act like wolves. Even the theories about wolf pack order are being disputed now.

And - what I said in the thread you posted about your play date was completely valid - you talked about your very young puppy meeting up with dogs in the park and dogs in a pet store. You never indicated that you had him in your arms - you did not say that until you were "defending" yourself. I said what I did out of concern for your puppy - you seem not to know very much about dogs and my answer came from that place. I could give a rat's ass about you personally and have no interest in scolding you.

If you feel the need to denegrate another member based on the advice she took the time to give to you for free - do so privately.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

+ Reply to Thread