Crate Games
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crate Games

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Default Crate Games

I've read a bit about crate games, and it sounds like something we would enjoy. Also something to do inside during poor weather . Most of my searches end up with Susan Garrett, but her DVD is $30. Has anyone seen it, and is it worth the money?

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

I'm not really sure what crate games are other than the obvious implication. One good game I've played with my previous lab and now my new pup is 'sniff it out' I put the lab in one room and then hide treats in reachable locations in another room (obviously not in dangerous or places you do not want them near.) I then call pup into the room and have him sniff out his treats all over the room, with the odd helping point or motion of the hand. Nice little game for in doors.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I saw a demo and heard only good things about it but have not tried it myself. I may order it with my next wave of books though!

a user here did try it with her new puppy - luvmydogs2much (with her Nola) so you can ask her (she may miss this thread)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

brody is offline Senior Member

if you want a dog who loves a crate, has decent sellf control and a good stay crate games (the formal SG program) helps with all those

it's not quite the "games" aspect people might think though
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

Ah. Bean loves his crate. I did some stuff just for fun, had him crate and wait while I left the room, then called him for a treat. Then sent him back from another room for a wait. He loved it!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Some of the games we play inside are the find games. I vary them.Which hand is the treat.They have to sniff which hand and tap the one they think the treat is in.Put a treat into a treat toy and hide it.

I do things like teach them tricks as mental excersise. Bow, high five, roll over, get my slippers, or put my shoes away, pick up toys, or the ones I wish I had never encouraged...open the door. Seem like a good idea at the time.

In the crate I get them to touch the door to open it.
    In and out by going in one door and out the other. Then sit, then lie down and stay. I am doing this with Tessa to get her to like the crate.
    It took me ages to get Erns into a crate. Now he goes and closes the door. At the moment I have to lock it as he is too hard to get out and I want him moving with his hips.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I bought only because it was only $30- and got my money out of it. We're still working on it, its a process not something to be done once or twice, we do it every night

Love it so far, Nola is enjoying her crate more than the poltergeist puppy she turned into the first night she was crated!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

+ Reply to Thread