Anyone own a Lab from Tidewater Retrievers in OR?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Lab from Tidewater Retrievers in OR?

Saraswati is offline Junior Member

DefaultAnyone own a Lab from....

Hey everyone!

My husband and I are hoping to bring home a new Lab pup within the next couple of months and we've been doing a ton of research on different breeders in and out of our area. The only reputable breeders we've found locally breed the "bench" style Labrador which really isn't what we're looking for. So I broadened my search to breeders outside of CA and came upon Tidewater Retrievers in Coos Bay OR. Their dogs have all the proper health clearances and each comes with a written 30 month health guarantee so they seem fairly reputable. My only concern is that we won't be able to meet the pups in person and I want to be sure I could trust a breeder to pick out our pup for us based on the qualities we asked for. I was just wondering if anyone here owned a dog from them and if they have had a good experience or not.

Thanks! (And if this thread needs to be moved elsewhere, feel free mods!)

-S
    Last edited by Saraswati; 08-20-2011 at 08:15 PM.

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Although I am not familiar with the breeder you are getting your puppy from, is not uncommon to have the breeder pick the puppy that they think is right for you. Our breeder was the matchmaker and it's work out great!
    Last edited by MnMsMom9902; 08-18-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

In our case it was a first come first serve pick. Since there were only 2 black males we got Spike. You can ask if they pick for you or if you are on the waiting list if it is first come. Maybe they have a webcam and can let you see the puppies in action

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new puppy! My dog Bailey is from same litter as Spike above. We were 2nd pick black female, so we got Bailey handed to us day we arrived I was def a little weirded out about not being able to choose but now that I have gone through the process its fine we didn't get to pick. The breeders, if reputable know exactly what they are doing and are able to match their dogs personalities to their new families. As long as your honest about yourself and what you want in a dog it will be fine. Goodluck and keep us posted! Do you know what color or gender?

BAILEY 10/1/10

Quote Originally Posted by MnMsMom9902 View Post
    Although I am not familiar with the breeder you are getting your puppy from, is not uncommon to have the breeder pick the puppy that they think is right for you. Our breeder was the matchmaker and it's work out great!
    Thank you MnMsMom! That gives me some more confidence- and your Lab is just gorgeous!! I like the more moderate bench style Labs but my husband prefers the field look so we met somewhat in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Spike's Mom View Post
    In our case it was a first come first serve pick. Since there were only 2 black males we got Spike. You can ask if they pick for you or if you are on the waiting list if it is first come. Maybe they have a webcam and can let you see the puppies in action
    We are also on a waiting list. No webcam that I know of but the breeder has been extremely easy to communicate with and is more than happy to answer all my questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey's Mom View Post
    Congrats on your new puppy! My dog Bailey is from same litter as Spike above. We were 2nd pick black female, so we got Bailey handed to us day we arrived I was def a little weirded out about not being able to choose but now that I have gone through the process its fine we didn't get to pick. The breeders, if reputable know exactly what they are doing and are able to match their dogs personalities to their new families. As long as your honest about yourself and what you want in a dog it will be fine. Goodluck and keep us posted! Do you know what color or gender?
    Thank you! I made sure to let them know from the beginning what we were looking for so hopefully we get a pup that fits us just fine.
    Last edited by Saraswati; 08-20-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

so are the females active at all? the males have a JH one or two have a WC but none of the females seem to be competing in any venue.

some of the males do not have the OFA elbwos listed so I woudl ask about that.

make sure the females have all teh clearances as well.

I find it "intesting" that they ONLY breed to their own dogs. never going out for stud dogs.

also, THREE litters in august? that's alot. most breeders have 1-2 litters a year.

Their dogs don't have a look, they are all over the map in shape and size from the photos.

I personally would ask where the litter is whelped and kept and how they are socialized. I prefer litters that live in the house with the family, especially if the breeder is going to be picking for me, they need to spend lots of time with the litter to know who is who and what their personality is.

I woudl also ask why they picked that male for that female, what they are looking for in the puppies.
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-19-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

"also, THREE litters in august? that's alot. most breeders have 1-2 litters a year."

I also noticed that Buckshot x Coco had a litter in Winter 2011 and now one in August. Is that usual, for a bitch to have two litters within a twelve-month span?! That just doesn't sound right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    so are the females active at all? the males have a JH one or two have a WC but none of the females seem to be competing in any venue.

some of the males do not have the OFA elbwos listed so I woudl ask about that.

make sure the females have all teh clearances as well.

I find it "intesting" that they ONLY breed to their own dogs. never going out for stud dogs.

also, THREE litters in august? that's alot. most breeders have 1-2 litters a year.

Their dogs don't have a look, they are all over the map in shape and size from the photos.

I personally would ask where the litter is whelped and kept and how they are socialized. I prefer litters that live in the house with the family, especially if the breeder is going to be picking for me, they need to spend lots of time with the litter to know who is who and what their personality is.

I woudl also ask why they picked that male for that female, what they are looking for in the puppies.
    I will definitely ask about the females and if they have any titles. I believe three of their girls are JH but I don't know about the others. And they did send me the OFA clearances for both of the females who are due, but I may ask about the rest of the males as well. The pups are whelped and raised in home and are handled from day one so I believe they're socialized fairly well. As far as how many litters they breed- most of the breeders I researched either seemed to have 2-3 or more litters at a time or none at all. How uncommon is it for a breeder to have more than 1-2 litters at a time? It just seems very prevalent. I also didn't notice too many breeders using outside studs either. Are these practices more common for conformation breeders?

If they seem sketchy to anyone, I don't want to buy a pup and then have problems down the line, but I'm having a very hard time finding a breeder that doesn't breed bench style Labs or extremely "fieldy" Labs. Do you recommend anyone who is more, middle of the road I guess? All we are looking for is an amazing companion dog.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Tanya is offline Senior Member

The following is just my two cents.

Post in lab chat and you may get more recommendations. That they only breed to their own dogs is odd. And remember health clearances are hips, elbows, heart, eyes, Cmn, eic at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Saraswati View Post
    As far as how many litters they breed- most of the breeders I researched either seemed to have 2-3 or more litters at a time or none at all. How uncommon is it for a breeder to have more than 1-2 litters at a time??
    there are some bigger "breeders" that do more a year but the average hobby breeder would do 1-3 a year max.

I also didn't notice too many breeders using outside studs either. Are these practices more common for conformation breeders?
    And no, it isn't prevalent in ehtical, good breedres to ONLY breed to their own dogs. I would question that practice big time. good breeders know that the best match to improve heir line is very very rarely in the same kennel. it happens once in awhile sure, but to almost only (or only) breed to your own dogs would be a huge red flag for me.

If they seem sketchy to anyone, I don't want to buy a pup and then have problems down the line, but I'm having a very hard time finding a breeder that doesn't breed bench style Labs or extremely "fieldy" Labs. Do you recommend anyone who is more, middle of the road I guess? All we are looking for is an amazing companion dog.

Thanks for all the help everyone
    a lab is a lab. if you don't like the look of a lab (conformation of field) then you are kinda cutting out all reputable breeders really. a GOOD ETHICAL breeder should breed for the betterment of the breed by ensuring breeding stock passes all the health clerances AND compete in some venue iwth dogs. so the field labs are going to be...fieldy and the conformation labs will be...conformation-y.

you can find morate conformation labs that can also perform well (having both titles) which might be what you want??

Maybe look for a rescue that has the look you want?
    Last edited by Tanya; 08-19-2011 at 11:20 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I would love to find a dual purpose breeder who breeds for conformation and performance but that seems to be impossible. It's either all about the looks or the performance it seems.

You've given me a bit to think about so thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    The following is just my two cents.

Post in lab chat and you may get more recommendations. That they only breed to their own dogs is odd. And remember health clearances are hips, elbows, heart, eyes, Cmn, eic at a minimum.

there are some bigger "breeders" that do more a year but the average hobby breeder would do 1-3 a year max.

And no, it isn't prevalent in ehtical, good breedres to ONLY breed to their own dogs. I would question that practice big time. good breeders know that the best match to improve heir line is very very rarely in the same kennel. it happens once in awhile sure, but to almost only (or only) breed to your own dogs would be a huge red flag for me.

a lab is a lab. if you don't like the look of a lab (conformation of field) then you are kinda cutting out all reputable breeders really. a GOOD ETHICAL breeder should breed for the betterment of the breed by ensuring breeding stock passes all the health clerances AND compete in some venue iwth dogs. so the field labs are going to be...fieldy and the conformation labs will be...conformation-y.

you can find morate conformation labs that can also perform well (having both titles) which might be what you want??

Maybe look for a rescue that has the look you want?
    Last edited by Saraswati; 08-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast