Anyone own a Lab from Tidewater Retrievers in OR? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Lab from Tidewater Retrievers in OR?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

They exist. Post in lab chat, search for breed clubs in your area (or retriever clubs).. It is your choice, if you are happy with the dogs from this breeder confirm clearances and go ahead.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saraswati View Post
    ... So I broadened my search to breeders outside of CA ...
    Where about are you in CA? We may be able to help recommend breeders in your area.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

Saraswati is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MnMsMom9902 View Post
    Where about are you in CA? We may be able to help recommend breeders in your area.

We're located in Orange County

Thank you for offering to help!

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MnMsMom9902 is offline Senior Member

Labrador Retriever Club of Southern California (LRCSC). From this site, you should be able to find a number of breeders near you. The site also gives pointers on what to ask/look for when looking for reputable breeders.

Miko (April 6, 2009), CGC

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

The website says some of the sires are EIC tested, but nothing about CNM or PRA testing. CNM and PRA do occur in field lines, at least one parent should be tested clear. CNM is a very serious muscle myopathy and PRA leads to blindness. A health warranty doesn't prevent a dog with two copies of the PRA gene from going blind. I would talk to the people at Merganser Labrador Retrievers, in Eugene, OR. Labrador Retrievers and Puppies in Oregon
    It looks like several of the Tidewater dogs have Merganser close up in their pedigrees, maybe they would have something to say.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

The So Cal club will probably have more conformation type dogs than the American lab.

Saraswati is offline Junior Member

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for all of the helpful posts and information. My husband and I made a trip down to San Diego and spent an afternoon with an AKC Labrador judge who happened to have a litter of puppies that we could play with While none of them were available, we were still able to meet the mother and the pups grandmother and glean some valuable information from the breeder. So, we've contacted a few breeders in the CA, TX and OR areas and hopefully a Lab pup will make it's way into our home soon.

Again, thanks everyone for the advice

sligo is offline Junior Member

We have a yellow lab from Tidewater Retrievers. She's really more red than yellow, out of Chloe/Buckshot May 2008. She had green eyes as a puppy and now they are golden like her parents. We had her spayed as soon as she was old enough and have kicked ourselves ever since. I think Roy and Deb would have liked to breed her, she is a brilliant dog, very social, first hunt at 4 months and found the duck in the middle of the decoys and retrieved it. She was umbilical trained and heels at just that distance without a lead. She has lots of "tricks" and is a very quick learner in all things. We highly recommend Tidewater Retrievers, Roy is always with the dogs working, training, or just socializing so the puppies are happy with their new family when they are adopted.

awackywabbit is offline Member

I had the same problem Saraswati when I started my search here in CA as well. I ended up getting a pup from VA and having him shipped here. I was also looking for dual lines(conformation/field) and couldn't find anything local.

That being said I am very happy having done my research with the breeder I went with. She picked the pup and shipped him to me so the first time we met was at the airport. He is exactly what I asked for though temperament wise and I don't think I'll ever go to a breeder that lets me "pick" again. Just having that person that has the knowledge of the pups personality and having them be able to match it with my needs makes such a huge difference in my book.

Sight unseen though I'd want dogs/bitches with lots of titles and lots of clearances. They should be knowledgeable about all the genetic stuff and not just the standard eye, hip, elbows, they should know their lines because you are buying without actually seeing the parents work.

Good luck in your search!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Old post folks.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast