Biting/Nipping: How long does it last?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting/Nipping: How long does it last?

Finley_213 is offline Junior Member

Default Biting/Nipping: How long does it last?

My husband and I just got a male chocolate lab a few weeks ago. He's now 10 1/2 weeks old. His puppy teeth are still coming in, and he's doing a lot of biting. Hands, feet, pant legs, mainly anything he can grab, especially if it's attached to us. Yelling "Owww!!" threw him off for a while, but that doesn't phase him anymore. Ignoring him is difficult, especially when his dagger-like teeth dig into your skin. We're trying to stay consistent with saying "Off!" as a command when he bites. When treats are involved, he jumps away when we say "Off", so I know he recognizes the word. But of course he doesn't stay off. I just don't know what else we should be doing. He has a number of chew toys and bones as well, but prefers to nip at us.

Any other tips? How long will this period last??

deidra is offline Senior Member

Do you have a crate? I usually say ah! Sternly but not screaming and into the crate for a couple of min.. Make sure you stay consistent on your words.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Consistency with the command is good. I also spent a lot of time shoving chew toys and stuffed animals into my pup's mouth when he got bitey

Random Gemini is offline Senior Member

Definitely stick with whatever word you choose!

It takes 75 repetitions of a command to teach a new command to an adult dog. It takes longer for puppies. This biting phase can last until they are about six months old and can wear first time Lab owners out. I have heard Lab puppies referred to as "insane" during these first few months by people who are raising their first Lab, but if you get right on top of the obedience training and stick to your guns with teaching commands and using positive reinforcement, by the time six months rolls around, you will wake up one day and realize... that it's working and you are seeing results. It's truly worth it.

I am of the belief that Lab puppies are hell on wheels... so that later, when they grow up, they can become the best dog you have ever had in your life. So far, I've had three of those... I'm hoping for many, many more.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

When our dog nipped while we were petting, etc., we would put her own paw in her mouth if it was in a good position to do so. I forgot about that until recently, and have been doing it to Bean in addition to all the other suggestions. It works. They realize what the nip feels like.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Feels like it lasts forever......
    Java finally got it and stopped with the biting around 5 months old, once her big girl teeth came in.
    Moka broke her leg at 4 months old and was crated for 4 months to heal, so she was still biting when she went into the crate at 4 months old but came out of the crate at 8 months not biting anymore.

You still have a ways to go, but be patient and consistent and it will get better!!

lab fan is offline Senior Member

With both our dogs we always had toys in hand to put in the pup's mouth whenever they would bite. We also tried yelping or saying ouch loudly, and that sometimes helped. In both cases the biting stopped between 3 and 4 months. Hang in there!

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

Mollyprada is offline Junior Member

My pup is loving our feet n hands I have had two bleeding fingers in 5 days! Gosh she hurts but no shouting will stop her I've been using the toy in mouth trick hopefully she will get the hang of it soon!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

http://breedingbetterdogs.com/pdfFil...y.training.pdf

For a no- nonsense, fair approach to puppy training. I am already doing bite inhibition w/ my 5 wk olds here.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

somet23 is offline Senior Member

stella has been good so far. theres been a couple of occasions she tried to nip at my hands. i usually hold her mouth shut and say no. and i have put her paw in her mouth. but she doesnt do it that often

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast