weaning onto another dog food...need info
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: weaning onto another dog food...need info

Bailey's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default weaning onto another dog food...need info

So we decided to switch from pro plan to blue buffalo, I picked it up today. Now I know we are suppose to wean slowly over 14 days starting with 1/4 cup of new and then slowly increasing to 1/2 then 3/4 and then full cup. My question is should this percentage be done at all 3 meal times or just start with 1/4 cup for 1 meal? I've looked up instructions but it is not specific. Help please

BAILEY 10/1/10

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Interesting question. My guess would be all 3 meals or else you will have to do the ratio mix 3 times which would keep you switching over for 6 weeks. Are you seeing something lacking in Bailey or you are going by the ingredient list?

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Yeah its confusing all the websites say the correct ratio but are not specific about if I do it at each meal. No she's not lacking anything, I just like the ingredients.

BAILEY 10/1/10

pyrotech is offline Member

When I moved Snoogans to a grain-free diet, I just filled the measuring cup (a 1-cup scoop) with about 1/4 of the new food, then scooped into the old food to fill the cup. I did this for every meal of the day. Otherwise you're only giving the pup 1/12 of her food intake with new food (if fed 3 times daily, or 1/8 if fed twice), and 11/12 old food on the first day, 1/6 : 5/6 on the second day, etc. If this were done for 2 weeks, I'd imagine having to give 1/4 : 3/4 ratio for first meal on day 1, 1/4 : 3/4 for first and second meal on day 2, etc. This sounds like a total PITA. Snoogans was fine when doing it 1/4 new : 3/4 old for every meal for about 3 days, then 1/2 : 1/2 for 3 days, then 3/4 : 1/4, then all new food.

Both ways would take 12 days to get your pup on a new food. The way I went with (giving 1/4 new for every meal of the day to start) worked fine for us, but the other way would be more gradual. Seems like a total pain to do though.

Thanks, your way is how I originally planned on doing it. Thanks for the clarification

BAILEY 10/1/10

+ Reply to Thread