How to stop puppy biting hands,toes fingers etc......
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stop puppy biting hands,toes fingers etc......

rtague is offline Member

Default How to stop puppy biting hands,toes fingers etc......

Hi all ,
    we have a beautiful 10 week old puppy max who when playing with us constantly bites and has drawn blood on a few occasions.Now ,I under stand that he is very young and that he is teething and what he's doing is playful to him but it's getting to the stage where my 11 year old can't play with him because he hurts.This is not a chewing,teething issue,it's him being playfull,but it's getting out of hand.We've tried ''no'',''no biting'' and a numerous other strategies
    but nothing seems to work,I don't want this to get to a stage where something bad wiil happen,please help.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Immediately stop playing and then ignore the puppy when he does this. Don't play games to the point of such excitement (avoid pulling games entirely if need be). Also, you could try putting something on your fingers ..hot sauce? or stuff sold to prevent dogs from chewing on things [can't remember any brands right now]. Make sure you have things for puppy to chew - allowed things, not old shoes

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You should get lots of suggestions on this.
    (1) When it happens, Yelp! Loud!
    (2) When it happens, yell NO BITE
    (3) When it happens, direct to the crate.
    (4) Hide treat in hand. Let the pup sniff. If the pup does not try to bite or claw, treat. If the pup does try to bite or claw, Crate.
    (5) Some will try to wrap the dogs upper lip, muzzle, to the inside of the mouth between finget and teeth, let the dog bite down, and bite himself as a teaching method. Never worked for my, too clumsy.
    Work with child to do the same thing. Consistency by all family members is critical to success. Human skin is not allowed to be taken into the mouth.

What you are dealing with is normal, you just have to be consistent in showing disapproval.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trammel is offline Junior Member

(3) When it happens, direct to the crate.
    Going to disagree with this part, the crate is suppose to be a safe haven and plesant. Not used as a dicipline tool.
    CGC

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

The loud YELP or yell OUCHH really really loud then say no and walk away. My pup has gotten alot better with the biting. It's odd but since his adult front teeth have come in he's stopped biting so hard. Now he tries too but if I start to yell ouch before he nips he stops and walks away and grabs a toy.
    Always replace your hand with a toy.
    Puppy kindergarten teacher said if they get sooo out of control remove yourself from the room. go in the bathroom and close the door... wait a minute or so then come out and hand him a toy.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Wow I remember those days - seems like a distant memory now The best thing that worked was saying "No bite!", getting up and walking away (and not making eye contact), facing away and then going back to what we were doing. After 3 times I just went and sat in my chair (as opposed to the floor) and he went to sleep

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trammel View Post
    Going to disagree with this part, the crate is suppose to be a safe haven and plesant. Not used as a dicipline tool.
    ^^^^
    a puppy can be placed in a crate for "time out" if they are getting out of control. This is the ONLY thing that worked with my Gracie, she was very mouthy and would play very rough....when she would get into that mouthy bitey stage, we would ignore, redirect with a toy, and then if that didn't work we quietly...NO SCOLDING involved just placed her in the bathroom (we didn't crate train Gracie, wish we had) a few minutes and let her calm down.

As long as you are not reprimanding the puppy and then putter her/him in the crate it is fine, just quietly and uneventfully place her/him in and walk away. Usually within a 10 minutes they come back out much calmer.

This behavior of biting is very normal for this age...my Gracie was a terror, good news...they outgrow it. Gracie is two now, she still gets a bit mouthy when she is extremely excited...but much, much better. Hang in there
    Last edited by lisa; 03-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Tanwen is offline Senior Member
    I moved to Banbury in Oxfordshire in 1993,prior to that I llived in Birkenhead,Cheshire

Our dog trainer recommends putting in the crate as a 'time out' or calm down measure. As has already been said, no shouting; just silently place in the crate and walk away.

*Our Parson (Jack) Russell is far more trouble than Dinozzo ever was at this age. In some ways he's much quicker in others (house training) he's an absolute nightmare.*

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Emmett is just coming out of this stage and it's been a real struggle.
    I'm going to have to say that we never used his crate as a time out place, simply because my GSP hates his crate so much I just didn't want to risk it.
    That said... I did everything, hell I bet Emmett thought his name was NO BITE for a good week.
    We had to go to the extreme of shoving our fingers down his throat until he basically choked them out, that was the only method that actually worked on him. He is SO much better now.
    Ignoring is another great tool not just for the biting but for any bad behavior, I think it works great because labs are such people pleasers.

How is he when you go to treat him? Be careful not to let him "bite" a treat out of your hand. They need to learn this now when they don't have the jaw strength just the sharp baby teeth.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

nothing wrong with putting puppy in the crate to get a break. the important part is to put them in there CALMLY and with a treat if need be (i.e. do not throw them in there). It can still be a good/happy place AND provide the owner with a break.

I agree with the above, but pick a method and be consistant (ALL members of the family). It takes time, lab puppies are mouthy, it is unfortunately something all lab puppy owners have to go thru. very normal
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast