What fruits are safe for dogs? (short list)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What fruits are safe for dogs? (short list)

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default What fruits are safe for dogs? (short list)

I bought a bunch of strawberries and blueberries yesterday and was looking up what fruits we can share with our doggies. I found out blueberries and strawberries are ok, I know bananas are ok. I found out cherries are a no-no - Is this because of the cherry or the pit? What about things like apples, oranges, pineapple? The "standard" fruits, if you will.

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Apples are good, & Corby loves them. I think pineapples might be too acidic, dogs don't seem to appreciate that taste sensation.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I feed mine apples, bananas, carrots and that's about it fruit /veg wise although they do get the occasional green beans but they are fed as treats not nutritional value !

lisa is offline Senior Member

Lola and Gracie love apples....grapes and raisin's are a big NO

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I have given Rocky pretty much every fruit. It is to the point that he will sit next to me and stare if I am eating fruit (my fault, it is the only food I regularly share with him like that). He eats the blueberries from my fruit salads (bought) as I don't like them. he didn't like star fruit (then again, neither do I). He once at a full watermelon (he rolled it off the counter and it broke in two, he ate the whole thing and had to pee so badly by the time I got home his eyes were watering - and his poop was pink for a few days LOL).

My dad gave Rocky part of his apple over the holidays (and now every time he would eat an apple Rocky would go see him!). He USUALLY eats bananas but sometimes spits them out (haven't figured that one out yet).

Always in moderation though. I actually think blubeerries CAN be bad for dogs but it woudl take alot to get anywhere near "potentially bad" levels.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Emmett loves Banana's! We usually put them in knucle bones or kongs to make them last longer.
    I bought some dried fruit so he also has dried banana chips and apple rings and strawberries he's not picky.
    I have noticed that too much fruit he can get a touch of "the poops"... so in moderation.

Not a fruit but giving him carrots has really helped with the teething.

I had a dog that would pick his own wild strawberries... it was the funniest thing!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Dio LOVES fruit! Oranges, bananas, apples... there's pretty much nothing he won't eat, if I let him. As for Lita, carrots are pretty much the only non dog food item she likes.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

Laceezmom is offline Senior Member

My last dog loved all fruit and was known to sniff out apples in people's pockets or bags when she was in the bleachers at my son's lacrosse games. Clementines were a particular favorite and she could hear me open them three rooms away. My new pup is a little more skeptical. I gave her some of my banana yesterday and she put it down to investigate - looked to see if I was really eating it and then ate it slowly and did not ask for another piece. She does love apples also but seems to have a bit of a delicate digestive system so I have not given her too much so far.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I give my dogs almost all types of fruit, their favourite being apples and bananas. But they are not choosy, they will eat anythingl. The biggest NO No is grapes (and raisons) - they are highly toxic to dogs. I understand just a few can kill a small-breed dog. Also, it is my understanding that stone fruits are okay, but you just need to take out the pits. The pits contain arsenic, which as you know, is not good. I was at the emergency vet awhile ago, and a yellow lab was in at the same time because he had eaten a bunch of plums off of their fruit tree and had arsenic poisoning. I don't know what they did but it involved flushing out his system with charcoal as he ran up to me in the waiting room and I ended up with my shirt and pants covered in charcoal!

lab fan is offline Senior Member

Bananas are a HUGE hit with my dogs. I think that banana was the first word the puppy learned - she goes nuts if you say "want to share a banana?". The three of us share one every morning! Baby carrots and apples are also a favorite.

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast