4 week old pup help; walking funny?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 week old pup help; walking funny?

Striing is offline Member

Default 4 week old pup help; walking funny?

Yesterday I picked up a 4 week old chocolate/black lab. The reason that I got her at such a young age; was because the mom had stopped feeding them and that my neighbor was going to adopt the pups out or bring them to a shelter. My other neighbor got one of the sisters and her only brother.

I just got Abby yesterday and I've already noticed a few things that maybe you guys can help me with. When I first picked her up she was a crybaby. I noticed that she loves to do this high pitched whine/cry thing whenever shes hungry/potty/lonely or just because she feels like it. Would this be because she misses her litter mates or possibly pain?

I've also noticed that she doesn't seem to stable on her back legs. She does walk for a while but then plops on her butt. She rarely runs; but when she does she either falls or stops whines and plops on her butt.
    Is this normal for pups at this age to seem so unstable? Her 1 sister isn't walking alot either but her brother (biggest of the litter and only boy) is walking - running he also doesn't cry as much as the rest but grunts more.

She also doesn't like sleeping on pillows; I guess because the family had the litter on a wooden/plank floor. So we have her in the corner of our room in a pen like area. She's sorta paper trained. She whines/crys when she has to potty we take her to the paper and she goes but sometimes she misses. Her brother is fully paper trained but her other sister isn't what so ever.

I was also wondering about worms. I was told most puppies were born with worms. But I've checked her stool and I haven't noticed anything. Is this normal?

I can post a picture of Abby; and I will try to do a video of her walking.

A picture of Abby and her brother Abby is on the left and Bruno on the left

deidra is offline Senior Member

I would take her to the vet just to make sure.The mom was probably still feeding the pups my female had pups and when they turned 4 weeks she would only feed them at night.the pups still should have staid with the mom for at least 2 more weeks weened or not she would learn how to play with other pups and maybe even some manners.She might be lazy but TAKE HER TO THE VET!I have a simmiliar problem with tank and he is 5 that is because of bad breeding and he got hit by a car he is really limp on his back hips!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

lisa is offline Senior Member

No advice on the behavior because I really don't know what a 4 week old pup does....that's very young age to take a pup away from her mom, whether she is feeding them or not. A vet check is in need ASAP, she probably has worms and it doesn't sound like your neighbor did all that much in way of taking care of them. I am sure some breeders here will give you some advice and knowledge as to what you facing ahead with such a young pup. Good luck and keep us posted.

View My Video

This is a video of her walking and her plopping and crying.

I've been looking for a vet; since I just moved to the state some of the vets aren't taking new patients. Not sure if the video will work; hopefully it will. Sorry for the sounds of the TV and voice.

Spike's Mom is offline Senior Member

Awwww that's so sad - she's probably crying because she misses her littermates. If you could get them together a few times a week that would be great!! Spike did the plopping thing - he still does now sometimes. Just a flopper I guess. I can't imagine vets who aren't taking new patients!! What about the mom's vet? Do you have an emergency center there? You'll spend more but they can't refuse you. Are you feeding her alot? I would imagine a pup that age should be on special food frequently throughout the day. It's common for moms to pass along roundworm to their pup - I don't know how they would treat a pup at such a young age . I hope you find a good vet soon - it would make life so much easier for you. I've got some good information from Ask Questions, Get Answers from Experts ASAP | JustAnswer

Nancy

Mom to Spike & Tiller

bett is offline Senior Member

i cant even imagine what to do with a 4 week old baby. the vet should be able to advise you. she is sooooo toooo young to be removed from her littermates and mama.
    sorry but your neighbor sounds like a ditz who had no business breeding her dog.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Your neighbor is an idiot who knows nothing about dogs. This is far, far too young to be out of the litter.

When you bring her to the vet (which you need to do immediately) do not put her down at all until you are in the exam room. She has no defense against the many viruses and germs she will encounter if you put her on the vet floor. Her time out of your house should be very limited. Do not take her out in public at this age except for the vet trip.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

to me now that i saw a video she just looks like a scared puppy that doesnt want to do. I would ask what vet the mom goes to.

Thank you everyone; I honestly don't think the mother had any vet care what so ever. I just wanted to do the right thing with her and not see her and her mates to suffer in a shelter. Im starting to think I should of; maybe she would of been happier.

I just recently found out the date of the puppies birth and shes less then 4 weeks. If I counted correctly she'd be 3 weeks and 4 days today. Since NOW I know this I will be getting her to the vet even faster to get her some kind of milk or a friend of my husbands said that some vets in our area have a list of owners who's dogs have a litter that passed and willing to either adopt the puppy until older or willing to donate the milk.

As for the feeding; Abby is eating puppy wet food (my fault) every 4 hours; and going potty every 2 hours. She is really smart though; she only poops outside but she pee's inside on the puppy pads.
    The reason I said the wet food is my fault is because the owners had the puppies on Adult dry food which I thought was ridicules.

The round worm situation I am not sure about; I haven't found anything in her stool but that doesn't mean it isn't there. As soon as shes old enough to treat Im going to; until then I don't think I can because everything I found for even younger pups has to be for 7-8 weeks old.

OMG way to young how stupid where the owners 1 no vet care 2 the pupare way to young 3 i would see if they are getting that female fixed! I am glad you are taking her to the vet.now that i no she is 3 weeks old she probley does not have the muscle mass with no milk in her to walk a long time! i hope you fing a dog that is able to give milk.It is a good thing you did not let her go to the pound she would have been worse...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast