Should I limit my puppy's access to water?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I limit my puppy's access to water?

Yellow Dog is offline Member

Default Should I limit my puppy's access to water?

Our 12 week old yellow lab (Murphy) drinks a lot of water, and currently, we are keeping his water bowl on the kitchen floor so that he can drink whenever he feels like it.

For awhile, he was doing fine with this, but now, he is starting to have frequent accidents on the kitchen floor.

Should I take away his water bowl during the day and only give it to him at select times? I don't want these accidents to become a recurring habit, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OnestaOrganics is offline Junior Member

Default I wouldn't limit a puppy's water intake

Puppies like all animals should always have access to water (unless a vet recommends otherwise temporarily). Esp. if you feed them dry food. You may need to look into potty training to avoid accidents. With coming hormones, he suddenly may miss the spots, so more enforcements or a step back in the training (e.g., more allowed spots with pads or newspapers) may be necessary. Our girl is, and always was, much more reliable than her brother in hitting the right spot :-) ...puppies....

Yellow Dog is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by OnestaOrganics View Post
    Puppies like all animals should always have access to water (unless a vet recommends otherwise temporarily). Esp. if you feed them dry food. You may need to look into potty training to avoid accidents. With coming hormones, he suddenly may miss the spots, so more enforcements or a step back in the training (e.g., more allowed spots with pads or newspapers) may be necessary. Our girl is, and always was, much more reliable than her brother in hitting the right spot :-) ...puppies....

Actually, since we took him home from the breeder at 8 weeks, we haven't been using puppy pads or newspapers. Basically, after he drinks water, eats, plays, or comes out of his crate, we take him outside to go potty. Our approach was working for awhile, but he really likes his water, and he has been guzzling it down so much that he is starting to have more and more accidents inside the house.

If anyone has any potty training techniques, I'm all ears. I just want to get him in the mindset that it's only correct to go potty outdoors.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Should I limit my puppy's access to water?
    No. Dogs require access to clean fresh water at all times.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Make sure you keep an eye on him. When he starts to go inside, pick him up, which will startle him enough to hold it until you get outside. Then praise him for going outside. Many folks have used a bell on the doorknob for them to ring when they want to go. Mine never went for it but alot of folks swear by it. I just kept an eye on them and they got to where they would let me know when they needed to go. Like others said, never limit the water availability.

brody is offline Senior Member

you may want to check his kidney/urinary tract function - if his kidneys have to work extra hard or he has an infection that can up the water and create house training challenges

if it's a change I'd certainly start at the vets and explain the issue

I have a dog who has spent a year working through kidney issues - diagnosed at 6 months when I just couldn't house train him ...
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Actually, I would have no problem with picking up the water dish at 8PM. Presumably you are crating him at night anyway. Otherwise, he does need access to water all day while active.

And I agree - get him checked by the vet. They may want you to catch some urine (easy to do with a plastic cup) for a urinalysis.

The best way to house train involves consistently getting the puppy outdoors at regular intervals (on a schedule) and rewarding (major praise) when he does go outside. Teach a "cue" phrase (outside or go potty or something you prefer). I am not a believer in using puppy pads - think it is sending a mixed message - but some seem to have success with them. Much more appropriate for toy breeds who are notoriously hard to house train (or urban puppies in high rises).

Be sure that when he does have an accident in the house you clean it using an enzymatic cleaner like Natures Miracle (or peroxide) which will eliminate the urine odor. He'll keep peeing in the same spot if you use a regular household cleaner.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

maloneandme is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I gotta go with Sharon here - and at the instruction of our breeder - she recommended while housebreaking puppy - to take water bowl away at around 7 pm. This will not only help training - but will also reduce the amount of times puppy will need to go at night.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We never restricted water for our puppies. Now I know from keeping littermates, some pups just "get it" quicker. Jack always drank drank drank (still drinks like water is the best thing), but didn't have problems learning to go out. Jed still won't tell us if he has an emergency potty need at night...even at nearly 3 y/o.

+ Reply to Thread