When is a puppy ready to wear a collar?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is a puppy ready to wear a collar?

adimaxjosh is offline Junior Member

Default When is a puppy ready to wear a collar?

Dear Friends

I have a one and half months old black female lab I was wondering what is the right age for her to start wearing a collar?
    Please help.

Thanks
    Aditya

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

My 9 week old is wearing a puppy collar, and we're training her to use the leash appropriately.

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

I should note that I do take the collar off of her when she goes into her crate.

Our breeder actually put the collar on when we were leaving her place, and pup was 8 weeks at the time. In my opinion the earlier the better in terms of collar and leash handling. If you introduce things at an early age, they can get used to it quite quickly. And of course, taking collar off before crate is a must!
    Malone, my Chocolate Drop!

bett is offline Senior Member

6 weeks is too young to have her to begin with.
    i always put the collar on as soon as i got them. not if you arent around tho.

Thanks people for advising me. But I am still can't get that what is the right time for a lab to wear a collar?
    most of the dog owners in India tell me that if i put a collar now then her growth will be stopped. Is it true?
    Some say 6 months or 8 months is the right time?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

a collar has no impact on their growth.

I would start with a loose collar when you are around to supervise during the day, maybe start with having it for short periods (again, only when you are supervising hte puppy). Just so pup gets used to the feel of the collar. If you are crate training, never leave a collar on a dog when they are in the crate, that is dangerous.

what type of collar are you talking about though? Just a loose collar to keep the tags on (what is often called a flat collar) or a training collar?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by adimaxjosh View Post
    I have a one and half months old black female lab

First, that is WAY too young a pup to be away from its mother & litter mates!! But, since you have her... I would say collar now, she needs to get used to it. Start her with a proper puppy sized nylon collar. When it is around her neck, you must be able to fit two of your fingers in between her neck & the collar to ensure it is not too tight.

You should have a crate for her as it will be essential for housetraining, but ALWAYS take the collar off before crating her. A collar can catch on part of the crate & she could choke.

It makes me nervous your pup is so young, please be careful with her. Invest in some baby/pet gates for your home, keep her away from dangerous things like stairs. Good luck & welcome to the board.... you will always get great advice here!!

BTW, what did you name her? Any pics?

Thanks Patm, bett, tanya, Diesel Dawg but another problem has appeared in the scene and that is that today I observed a small lump of muscles or tissues near her neck suspended from a very tiny thread like structure. What is it? some says it is a hernia but do hernia take place in neck? And what is the possible treatment?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I realize you are in India, I will admit I have no idea what it is like there compared to Canada or the USA but are there qualified & licenced veterinarians that you could take this puppy to? This recent issue sounds serious & she should be attended to by a professional. The sooner the better. While there you could have a lot of your other questions answered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast