Do I bath my 8 week old puppy?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I bath my 8 week old puppy?

Shell Price is offline Junior Member

Default Do I bath my 8 week old puppy?

I got my puppy 5 days ago now and hes starting to smell a bit and since Ive got him I have not stopped cleaning as I am paranoide that the house smells of dog to visitors since we've got him.

I put him outside today and cleaned everything down yet when I let him back out I relaised he now smells a bit to me. Can I bath him at just over 8 weeks old and whats the best way?

Also his blanket that was brought home with him from the breeders as a comfort is smelling too should I wash that? Its been five days is that too soon to do?

Gosh everyday I have different questions but I just want to get it right now whilst hes young so we can enjoy him even more when he gets bigger.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Others will pop in, but the answer is no to both.

The blanket is easing his transition away from Mom.

Wow! Unless that puP rolled in his poop, urine, or vomit, why are you going to bathe him. About the only time a Lab needs a bath is after they have rolled in something undesireable. Are you really offended by puppy smell? Are you really concerned about guests smelling your dog? If either of those answers are yes, why did you get a dog? Why did you get a Lab? Seriously, if these things are big issues for you, I would suggest that you contact the breeeder and see if the dog can go back, NOW, while still a puppy. What the hell are you going to do when that pup turn into a dog and starts shedding. Although it will typically blow a coat twice a year, it will shed constantly. It really doesn't sound like you made a good decision getting a dog, especially a Lab. They can be such a positive to most people, but it really does not sound like a Lab, or any dog is necessarily right for you.
    Last edited by HersheyK's Dad; 05-04-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Can't type
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Holy overreaction Batman!

Wash the blanket. It is likely transmitting some smell to the puppy. If the puppy has peed on himself or rolled in poop - yes you can wash him using puppy shampoo (never people shampoo as it is has the wrong pH). This is not to be a habit.

Labs - unlike a lot of dog breeds - really do not need or benefit from regular bathing. it actually can harm their coat. in most cases a puppy or adult dog needs no more than a rinsing with warm water and a thorough brushing out.

As for the smell of the puppy in your house if it matters to you - - - Scented candles, potpourri, Febreeze....... invest.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Samson is offline Senior Member

No and No

Just wait until you have the Lab hair in your meals ! I hope Ed is wrong but you have to be a little less house proud if this is going to work.

90% of the people on this forum will tell you that if their visitors don't like the dog smell then they shouldn't visit !

Chill !

The rewards are too numerous to list here !

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Holy cow! Someone says their puppy smells, asks for advice about bathing, and they are told to call the breeder and return the pup? Shell, please don't let these responses scare you from asking all of the questions that you have. My dog is 2, has gotten into something smelly on occasion, and has been bathed (with dog shampoo) a couple of times. Sharon (BigBrownDog) gave good advice for bathing/care, so I won't repeat that. If the puppy is sleeping through the night, and not using the blanket for comfort . . . I would wash that too. Don't be surprised if he isn't too interested in the blanket after it is washed. Mine don't like to lay on their beds after they have been washed or Febreezed, after a couple of days they use them again. Enjoy your puppy.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

banoel is offline Senior Member

Woah, what a difference of opinion on this subject. Yes, I would wash the pup and blanket. My sense of smell is very accurate and I also don't want the house to smell of dog so I choose to give my dog(s) a bath as needed along with their bedding. When Miles was having lots of accidents I did lots of cleaning as he would lay on his wet bedding in his kennel. I don't think a house has to smell of dogs and I don't think wsashing a dog and their bedding, if needed, is a bad thing. My two older labs have not suffered any consequences from this practice.
    - Never trust a dog to guard your food -

Beck's Frequent Flyer (Miles) 1/26/10
    Beck's Keepin' It Simple, JH (Simon) 4/25/07
    Noel's Duncan Delight, CDX (Duncan) 1/28/97 - 10/30/08 (Miss you big guy)

Quote Originally Posted by banoel View Post
    Woah, what a difference of opinion on this subject. Yes, I would wash the pup and blanket. My sense of smell is very accurate and I also don't want the house to smell of dog so I choose to give my dog(s) a bath as needed along with their bedding. When Miles was having lots of accidents I did lots of cleaning as he would lay on his wet bedding in his kennel. I don't think a house has to smell of dogs and I don't think wsashing a dog and their bedding, if needed, is a bad thing. My two older labs have not suffered any consequences from this practice.
    Must be a male thing ! That "Lots of cleaning" comment scared me a lot ! :-)

hauts is offline Member

I would bathe both if you want. You're probably referring to the smell of the pup from the breeders. Usually they do smell from a breeder. Puppies do have a certain "puppy" smell though, but most people like it. I love puppy smell and puppy breath. I have two labs in my home and I rarely bathe them. My house doesn't smell like dog. The pup I did have to bathe at first quite a bit because of accidents, but once that is taken care of I will probably bathe them a few times this summer at the lake, but that is it. Also, get a dog shampoo and best is if it oatmeal based...or an oatmeal based conditioner. It's good for their coat and help prevent drying of their skin (dandruff).

Quote "I would bathe both if you want. You're probably referring to the smell of the pup from the breeders."

Good point ! I had forgotten about that ! THey also smell like that when they come back from kennels as although I rarely kennel mine, ( last time was about 5 years ago ) My friend does and they can smell rank !

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My 2 Labs - who have each had one non-skunk related bath in their lives don't smell at all. (I won't say how many skunk related baths Diesel has had - he's got a short term memory issue when it comes to the black and white kitties)

My late Dutch Shepherd HAD TO have 2 baths a year at minimum or she stank. Labs are just different in my experience.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast