Just Labradors banner

water in puppies crate?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jade 
#1 ·
should we put a water bowl in our puppies crate during the night or not? she will have access to fresh water all day long but just wondered about having water in the crate during the night??
Also what about if and when she needs to be left in the crate while we go out during the day (this would only be for 2 hours while im at work, or for a short while while i do the school run)
when im in the house she wont be in her crate and her water bowl will be available all of the time
Thank you for your advice

#2 · (Edited)
When Dylan was crated in the daytime, I used a rabbit water bottle and that way it didn't get spilt and he didn't over do the drinking.

It worked fine for him although you have to make sure that the type that you get doesn't have anything detachable on the inside of the cage including the end of the nozzle.

Nowadays ( It wasn't available at the time ) I would get one of the none spill bowls as they work fine too Prestige Road Refresher Non Spill Pet Water Bowl, L, Grey: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Personally, I don't think that they need water during the night !

#3 ·
I would suggest not. Especially for housebreaking reasons it's better to pick the water up at about 9 pm if not earlier and not give them water until the next morning. Once the pup is a bit older and completely house broken, then sure.

If you are only gone 2-3 hours during the day, you are in the process of housebreaking and the temperature is not hot, again I would keep the water out. They are certainly able to go a few hours with out water. Older, house broken, no problem.

#5 ·
thank you. I think i'll leave the water out during the night then have it available first thing in the morning when we are up again and the same when im out as will only be 2 hours while at work. Just wanted to make sure it was safe to do this. Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.