Just Labradors banner

Anyone Ever Fried A Turkey?

648 views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
I took the plunge and bought a fryer tonight. We are going to try it out on Saturday as Mom refuses to risk the T-giving bird. I bought a bird on Sunday and it is thawing in the fridge. We will brine it Friday night.

Any sage advice? I am comfortable with the safety stuff of not near the dogs, house kids etc and have the fire extinguisher near by.

#2 ·
My brother does it every year. Tastes really good but seems like a lot of work. I know he makes a big deal out of making sure it's totally thawed because ice crystals hitting hot oil is a really dangerous combination.

He's a firefighter and the safety precautions he takes make it look like he's ready for an inferno. We like to kid him but every year there's video on the news of some idiot who tries cooking it in his garage and the whole house goes up in flames.

It is really tasty; let us know how it comes out.

#3 ·
Wow..... that would be a big effort.

We don't really fry any of our birds in Australia lol. We pretty much roast everything, unless you go to KFC to get fried chicken.

Would love to try it one day!! :) If it turns out I might have to come to your place next year hahaha...

#4 ·
birds 15lbs and smaller taste much better. Use peanut oil. The saftey stuff is the most critical and make sure to towel dry the bird really well. the only thing that is important is to very slowly lower the bird in the oil to keep the oil from splattering too much.

Hopefully you bought the steamer basket accessory. Crab boils are awesome!

#5 ·
I second the use of peanut oil! It sounds good. I love fried turkey. We are going to smoke ours. We may have to cut it in half and smoke it depending on the size (getting them from a farm so not sure how big they are at this point).

#9 ·
For years, we always smoke one turkey and fry the other. I like the smoked flavor best, but you won't get a juicier turkey without frying. It's amazing how many people will do it in their garage.

Alton Brown has a pretty fool-proof technique, and I'm assuming that's at least one of T's links. I've never used it, but I would if it were my first time frying a bird.

#11 ·
I fry mine outside it's easier and safer. I have to put up a little windbarrier once in awhile if it's nasty out. I usually have my woodstove going in the garage,TV on and rather not have that hot oil smell all week.

#14 ·
I live it Phoenix it should be around mid 70's to Thanksgiving so it is going outside in the side yard. Well away from the house and the dogs. My BR put it together today. It came with the basket set up. He also took the 6 foot step ladder and rigged up a turkey derrick like Alton Brown uses.

#16 ·
I have never fried a Turkey but have had it a few times and it is so tasty!! I have for years BBQ'd my turkeys- yummy!! Luckily most of our family does the same. When we go somewhere else for turkey dinner and they bake the Turkey we always hope they have enough gravy, sorry for me its just not the same! Before you say its just not baked right, this is the only way most people still cook there turkey so it can't be " just the way they cook it" Baked Turkey is just not as tasty and moist IMO. Please let us know how the fried Turkey turns out, it may be my next investment:)

#17 ·
OK, my secret from my 19th Century cookbook, boil the durn thing in a stock pot till almost done, (maybe 3/4) remove it, lots of broth to use. Put some of the broth in the roaster, dry the turkey skin, spread with melted butter and finish open at about 375-400.:D Will melt in yer mouth.

Did a very large 3 year old domestic tom that way 3 years ago. Had to cut him up to fit him in the pot and the roaster, best turkey I ever ate. Had to eat it all by myself also, Rita and Andrea wouldn't. See Rita's brother raised it as a pet and he got nasty in his old age and got to attacking people, wasn't safe to get out of your car at his house.

They said they couldn't eat a turkey they knew. I knew him also, didn't ever think much of him and I froze most of him, had samwiches for a long time.:D

Oh his name was Tom.:eek:

#18 · (Edited)
Alton Brown's show last night was on frying turkeys. It was really informative and covered everything from the best kind of fryer to buy to very detailed safety instructions to the recipe. I highly recommend watching the show. First he did the turkey in a brine.

Here is his turkey recipe:

Ingredients

6 quarts hot water
1 pound kosher salt
1 pound dark brown sugar
5 pounds ice
1 (13 to 14-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
Approximately 4 to 4 1/2 gallons peanut oil*

*Cook's Note: In order to determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey into the pot that you will be frying it in, add water just until it barely covers the top of the turkey and is at least 4 to 5 inches below the top of the pot. This will be the amount of oil you use for frying the turkey.

Directions

Place the hot water, kosher salt and brown sugar into a 5-gallon upright drink cooler and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve completely. Add the ice and stir until the mixture is cool. Gently lower the turkey into the container. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure that it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and set in a cool dry place for 8 to 16 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Place the oil into a 28 to 30-quart pot and set over high heat on an outside propane burner with a sturdy structure. Bring the temperature of the oil to 250 degrees F. Once the temperature has reached 250, slowly lower the bird into the oil and bring the temperature to 350 degrees F. Once it has reached 350, lower the heat in order to maintain 350 degrees F. After 35 minutes, check the temperature of the turkey using a probe thermometer.

Once the breast reaches 151 degrees F, gently remove from the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to carving. The bird will reach an internal temperature of 161 degrees F due to carry over cooking. Carve as desired.

Here are the videos from the show:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mq29BaLLk

#20 ·
Alton Brown's show last night was on frying turkeys. It was really informative and covered everything from the best kind of fryer to buy to very detailed safety instructions to the recipe. I highly recommend watching the show. First he did the turkey in a brine.

Here is his turkey recipe:

Ingredients

6 quarts hot water
1 pound kosher salt
1 pound dark brown sugar
5 pounds ice
1 (13 to 14-pound) turkey, with giblets removed
Approximately 4 to 4 1/2 gallons peanut oil*

*Cook's Note: In order to determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey into the pot that you will be frying it in, add water just until it barely covers the top of the turkey and is at least 4 to 5 inches below the top of the pot. This will be the amount of oil you use for frying the turkey.

Directions

Place the hot water, kosher salt and brown sugar into a 5-gallon upright drink cooler and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve completely. Add the ice and stir until the mixture is cool. Gently lower the turkey into the container. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure that it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and set in a cool dry place for 8 to 16 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Place the oil into a 28 to 30-quart pot and set over high heat on an outside propane burner with a sturdy structure. Bring the temperature of the oil to 250 degrees F. Once the temperature has reached 250, slowly lower the bird into the oil and bring the temperature to 350 degrees F. Once it has reached 350, lower the heat in order to maintain 350 degrees F. After 35 minutes, check the temperature of the turkey using a probe thermometer.

Once the breast reaches 151 degrees F, gently remove from the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to carving. The bird will reach an internal temperature of 161 degrees F due to carry over cooking. Carve as desired.

Here are the videos from the show:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mq29BaLLk
The Google is very weak in you today. You were only a full day behind Theresa. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.