My 13 year old Black Lab is not eating
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 13 year old Black Lab is not eating

krp1669 is offline Junior Member

Default My 13 year old Black Lab is not eating

Just looking for some advice on our 13 year old black lab.* In the past week he has only had about a cup of food, and very little water.* Our vet tells us to continue to watch him, he thinks its the weather.* He has lost about 4 pounds.*
    Any ideas would be very helpful!!!!!

luckylab is offline Junior Member

Default Re: My 13 year old Black Lab is not eating

That doesn't sound normal even with the heat. When we lived in Arizona, the heat did not affect our old guy's eating but it definitely INCREASED his drinking. I think it's been going on long enough now that you should take him to the vet...and if your vet doesn't think there is a problem, I would find a new vet.

Samsmom1 is offline Senior Member

Have his blood and urine checked. They'll tell you a lot. It's not good that he's not eating or drinking. Get as much information from his fluids as you can.

polark13 is offline Senior Member

my 15 year old ellis has eaten Iams since day one. After his 'brother' Yukon died in February, he stopped eating and was all weirded out.

I ended up switching him to a raw food diet (I just buy frozen pre-made raw food nuggets). I was very hesitant to switch his food as he has always had a very sensitive stomach. He instantly started eating it which made me very happy. I now have him on a mix of raw food and dry kibble and he has been eating no problem.

He still sometimes sits in Yukon's 'spot' in the living room which breaks my heart and makes me cry.

K

<br />Ellis (brown) &amp; Yukon (yellow) - Sadly, we helped Ellis &quot;move along&quot; on Feb 22, 2007 at age 15 1/2 - and Yukon died suddenly on Feb 1st, 2006 - 4 days before his 11th birthday.&nbsp; We are devestated.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I agree that you need to take him to the vet if he hasn't been eating and drinking for that length of time. Having blood tests done is a good way to go and the vet may want to put him on fluids if he is getting dehydrated, which I would be worried about. How is your boy behaving otherwise? Is he being his usual self?

Won't someone please feed me!

LarrytheLabs Mom is offline Senior Member

Have you tried enticing him with other things? Hamburger? String cheese?

I'd say take him to the vet, asap.
    Katherine<br />Charleston, SC<br />

krp1669 is offline Junior Member

thanks for all the great feedback---his blood and unrine are fine, it seems to be a mystery to our vet. we did take him to a vet who owns 4 labs himself and he is also stumped. he has no other symptoms---he is his normal playful self. we've tried canned food and switching brands but it made him sick. i made him up a "dog stew" which he ate some of, but not much.
    we are still researching.....

luckylab is offline Junior Member

Could he have a tooth that is bugging him?

bitoy is offline Junior Member

i have the same problem with my bear except for the drinking part. our bear have lost his appetite but still drinks a lot though. what could be the problem? switching him to raw seem a good alternative because i just want him to eat again. btw, he is like this after servicing our female. thanks.

+ Reply to Thread