Desperate for Advice Concerning Senior Dog with Anxiety
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Desperate for Advice Concerning Senior Dog with Anxiety

todohert is offline Junior Member

DefaultDesperate for Advice Concerning Senior Dog with Anxiety

I have a 10 year old yellow lab and love him dearly. About 2 weeks ago he got out and ran the neighborhood before we found him. Once home (and after a 2 hour nap), he started limping pretty bad so the Vet put him on Tramadal and another anti inflammatory called VetPhen. After a day he was feeling better and back to his old self EXCEPT that he has started panting and walking the hall non-stop. It's like he thinks something in at the end of the hall. This pacing and panting can last for 4 hours or more! During these episodes he will not let me or my husband leave without trying to get out of the house. He has never done this before. Once he wears himself out, he is back to his normal self.

I'm wondering if something happened to him when he got out or maybe he was stressed because he was lost? It seems like separation anxiety, but this pacing and panting happens when we are here. All his lab results came back fine. Could this just be a senior dog kind of thing and if so, are there any medications that I can him to help relax him?

I appreciate any advice. I feel bad for him. 

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Sometime they pace and pant when their brain goes off. I had a senior who started pacing and walking in circles. It was the beginning of the end for her.

You may want to talk to the vet about this.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

There are a lot of supplements out there for aging dogs. I'd try to find a good holistic vet if you can. I give my oldsters cholodin and have had Gluta-DMG recommended as well. These are supposed to help reduce dementia and other issues or at least slow the processes.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Morewags612 is offline Junior Member

I have a very anxious nine year old chocolate rescue. He definitely had separation anxiety and was beside himself when I would leave. I have learned that at least twenty minutes before I leave, I do not have any physical contact or verbal communication with him. It has made all of the difference for him! He also has moments where he pants, bounces and literally squeals if I ignore him. I tried ignoring the behavior, but it made it worse for him. He loves to play ball and when he becomes anxious, I give him a ball, rub his sides gently and slowly and use the word "settle". It works. He likes the physical touch and my tone of voice does calm him. The ball is like a pacifier or security blanket for him. I would also try to place your guy on leash when he becomes anxious and see if you can walk him down the hallway, into other rooms and then finally to a location where he can lie down. Once he is down, stroke him softly, and calmly use the word "settle". If that does not work for him, you can also check into a thunder shirt. Good luck...poor guy!

Charly- 2011
    Brody-2005

Paw-prints on my heart...
    Bo- April 1999- June 2012
    Bear- December 1999- June 2011

lovingly1 is offline Member

I see this is from January. Hope things are better now. Tramadol can have some side effects. It can cause "anxiety, tremor, agitation" according to Drugs.com. Tramadol Side Effects in Detail - Drugs.com It can also cause seizures which pacing can be a symptom of. Our German Shepherd mix paced at the end. He had seizures.

Some dogs get very warm from Tramadol too. Try taking his temperature.

lovingly1 is offline Member

Wanted to add too todohert that anxiety, pacing, can also be symptoms of tick borne diseases.

pegasusx86 is offline Junior Member

Yes, i was going to say that the tramadol could be having this effect. It absolutly did it to me personally. Also i think , and i have a very sensitive yellow lab too, extremely afraid of thunder and actually starts panting when a storm is approaching, that when we give our animals something that makes them feel different, it just may frighten them and get them agitated, esp when they r big babies like my Sampson, ( how do u post a picture here,....oh well)

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

this post if from January 2015! Not this year. This person is LONG GONE.

Annabellam is offline Member

There should be drugs to calm him down, but am also thinking you never know what could have happened with him out there. A lot of times anxiety can be triggered by something say an attack and if this has never happened before i'd suspect something happened. I think the best thing would be to spend more time with him and especially during such episodes. Also ensure he does not run off again.

+ Reply to Thread