Ten yr old lab with seizures
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ten yr old lab with seizures

Jade65 is offline Member

DefaultTen yr old lab with seizures

My precious ten yr old lab Mercedes has been having seizures..had one at seven yrs of age and now started having them once a month..saw the vet , did lot of blood tests which checked out all normal..I will,not put her through MRI for brain tumor..if she had one at this age I would not do chemo, surgery etc, call me a bad mom , but I would not do it to myself at my age 70, she I will not do it to her either.she is and always has been a very hyper lab.,,,, ok now they started her on a low dose of phenobarbital one dose am .one dose pm...I gave her first one today, and really did not want to do this to her, but i have no,choice theses seizures are getting worse..does anyone have their lab on this med? What can I expect for side effects? Al the vet told me was she will drink and pee more and sleep more until her body gets used to the med...I have no faith in drs. Human or animal....iam so beside myself with worry about this med I have now made myself sick over this...got to stay well for her there is only her and me..I have no one to care for her if i get sick. Wow a lot to digest, but I do not know where to turn .

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately, she kind of just have to go with what the doctors say. Pheno is what they use for seizures. At this age, I wouldn't do anything else on the dog either. But be aware if the problem is something like a brain tumor etc. it may only help for a short time. You'll need to do some soul searching right now and get ready to decide when it will be time for your dog should she start having more trouble. Hopefully, the phenol is enough for now.

Rudylucy is offline Junior Member

Hi,

I'M new to this forum and came across your post about your lab and phenobarbital. I hope things are going smoothly for you and your lab. My 7 yr. old lab had seizures and was put on the same drug and another seizure med that begins with a Z. I'm upstairs and i don't want to go and get the med to spell it out. My lab is doing very well and we recently cut down his phenobarbital and he still hasn't had a seizure.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jade65 is offline Member

Some hope for reducing the pheno...my lab gets diarreha from the pheno and I want to try to reduce the dosage to see if it may help....she is ten and has not had a seizure since last May when I began the Meds.

rudysmom is offline Junior Member

Hi Jade. I have a 12-1/2 yr. old black lab and my lab started having seizures around the age of 2 or so. He has been on phenobarbital for at least 10 yrs. and we have not seen any seizures since. Plus we haven't seen any side effects from it. He is a wild one. Up until the last 2 yrs. he was a "ball" nut and would constantly want to chase it and play. He did it straight for about 5 hr. one time while we were having an outdoor party. So please don't fret. Give her the pill. Let me know how she does. It will take a little time before you see any difference or should I say where you see that she hasn't had any seizures. It stinks, I know. I also had a toy poodle who had seizures but wasn't on any meds. He didn't have many.

Jade65 is offline Member

Hi Rudysmom...Thank you for reply...my yellow girl is ten and began seizures about a yr and half ago...had all testing..and started pheno last May...thank goodness no seizures as of yet. Hope thy never return, but for the last four months has severe diarreha..had all,blood tests etc, x Rays.they are saying inflammatory bowel ....but I cannot help thinking the pheno is causing it....but I cannot stop it or the seizures will,return. At first she had some show of giardia. And I do not know how she would have that..she does not leave the yard and is always with me when we go out, was on pancor, metrondiazol SP????? Ok for a while then starts all over...at my wits end...you know what helps the most is good ole pepto bismal..but I know you should not give them that, but it used to be prescribed a while back for my other dogs back in the day!!

+ Reply to Thread