Adopted 7 year old
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adopted 7 year old

Camiller84 is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdopted 7 year old

Hi everyone. My fiancé and I were fortunate enough to adopt a black lab from a couple that had him for seven years but weren't able to take him to their new apartment. It was difficult at first as expected, but then he started to calm down when in his pen during the day while we were both at work. One day myfiance came home and the dog literally ripped the metal apart on the front of his pen. I ended up calling a behavioral therapist for the dog. It was like he knew why she was there. He was showing off just for her. She never really offered any advise for his pen problem other than trying to gate him in a small part of the house but then said all dogs should be crated for atleast 6 months. My fiancé rebuilt the dogs penn and now he's starting to rip it apart again. My fiancé is at his wits end. Please help.

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

It sounds like the dog isn't crate trained. Do a search in the 'Training Tips and Puppy Advice' section for tips on crate training and treat the dog like a puppy in this regard. He'll need to be introduced to the crate just as a puppy would. It'll take time but you can teach and old dog new tricks.

Camiller84 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the help. The people that did have him said he had no problems with the crate and didn't act like that. Is it possible for them to lose their training?

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

If the dog hasn't been crated for a long time, then yes. Also, new home and new environment may be playing into this. There may be some anxiety there due to the new living situation. All you can do is be patient, provide a routine and give him time to adjust. I would assume that he's no longer used to a crate and take the steps to train him to accept his crate as a safe place.

+ Reply to Thread