Restless senior
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restless senior

KS_Angel is offline Junior Member

DefaultRestless senior

Is it common for seniors to become restless? Max is the first dog my husband and I have had as adults and he's our first senior. He is 11 years old now. He has been a very healthy dog so we've been very lucky.
    Max has gone from a polite gentle giant to a not so polite demanding pain in the butt! He is now a demanding, toe stomping moose impersonating a Labrador. Lately he has become very vocal and has started the habit of barking by the back doors to get our attention. This can be an hour or more after he has been let out to just a few minutes. It varies. I am not sure how many times we are letting Max in and out of the house on a daily basis. Some days he likes to be out back with his buddy Spike, our Boston Terrier playing for a few hours and some days he just wants back in the house. A doggy door would solve the issue of my husband and I letting Max in and out of the house often but I wouldn't want a doggy door big enough for a grown man to fit through attached to my house. We also live in an area where there are coyote's and racoon's so no doggy door here. Max will sit by the back doors and bark, but it's always just one bark and he'll wait maybe a minute or two then bark once again. He'll do this until we let him back in. Max has never been a barker unless someone is near our home, especially men but other than that he doesn't make a peep. This routine of him wanting in and out of the house will happen often during the night and it can make for a very exhausting morning. I took away his water late at night thinking he was having to relieve himself more often because he was drinking water throughout the night but it hasn't made a difference. Max also had always waited by our back doors patiently until we would give him the command that he can enter the house. We could leave the back doors open all day and Max would never come in the house until we told him he could. Now all it takes is for him to see the door start to crack open and he pushes on through with his big bear head. I have started standing in his path making him back up and sit and wait for his command that he can enter. Sometimes I am not fast enough and he just steam rolls through. I am not a big person and it wouldn't take much for him to knock me on my butt. He is also starting to moan and make a whining sound when he is bored in the house and wants us to entertain him. The whine sound is when he yawns, it's an over exaggerated vocal yawn. So dramatic. Once we talk to him or go over to him he's completely fine and happy. A very funny thing he's doing now too is passing gas and then running away from it. He will be laying on his bed then pass gas and as soon as he hears it he looks in the direction of his rear and gets up as fast as he can to get to the back door and get outside. We of course think it's hilarious that he's running from his own air biscuit.
    So all we can do is enjoy him, laugh at him when he's being dramatic and running from his own body sounds and let him out and back in the house when he wants. He's been the best dog in the world. He's truly ruined us for any future dogs. He's just become our very demanding old man.

Kimberly

Samson is offline Senior Member

My old boy has attitude too ! Guess we all get to be a bit cranky in our old age - me included ;-)

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Yes, old dogs, like old people, can be a pain in the butt! If you haven't gotten the dog in for a senior exam yet, I would do it. Sometimes restlessness is due to discomfort. We recently took out senior in for his annual exam..he's 12. We found some liver issues (nothing serious) and got some pain medication for his arthritis. He's losing weight now too due to being put on a diet. In about 3 weeks he's really made a big change. He's still very vocal, but we can tell he's feeling better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

totiegirl is offline Senior Member

just wanted to say he's a very handsome ol man with a gorgeously soft looking coat : )

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

He is very handsome. It sounds like it only took him 11 years to train you, lol!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LOL and I think Max has earned it. He's been so well behaved for 11 years I guess it's his time to do what he wants now.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    My old boy has attitude too ! Guess we all get to be a bit cranky in our old age - me included ;-)
    LOL and I think Max has earned it. He's been so well behaved for 11 years I guess it's his time to do what he wants now.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Yes, old dogs, like old people, can be a pain in the butt! If you haven't gotten the dog in for a senior exam yet, I would do it. Sometimes restlessness is due to discomfort. We recently took out senior in for his annual exam..he's 12. We found some liver issues (nothing serious) and got some pain medication for his arthritis. He's losing weight now too due to being put on a diet. In about 3 weeks he's really made a big change. He's still very vocal, but we can tell he's feeling better.
    Max has been taking a supplement for his joints but other than that he's healthy, good heart etc. I had wondered about his hearing thinking maybe that's why he was acting out but his hearing is fine too. I think maybe because he is feeling so good is why he's being such a butt head. I have also had to decrease Max's food a bit to get some weight off of him, he was about 8 lbs overweight. He's on a salmon/sweet potato formula now and doing well. I am also thinking maybe because our weather has been changing is why he's getting so restless. I live in N. California and we've had temps in the 80s and mid 60s at night. Not hot enough for our A/C but hot enough that Max prefers to sleep outside on his bed by our back door some nights. Of course during the months when we do have our A/C on he hardly wants to go outside. Can't blame him.
    Hope your senior is still doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by totiegirl View Post
    just wanted to say he's a very handsome ol man with a gorgeously soft looking coat : )
    Thank you. Max has always had a very thick soft coat, keeps him looking young. It does make bathing and brushing him a pain though.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    He is very handsome. It sounds like it only took him 11 years to train you, lol!
    Thank you.

That's what I told my husband, Max has trained me now. I am able to get him to relax and settle down sometimes, if he wants to go back outside right after being let back in the house I just tell him no and to get on his bed and he listens. For now . I think our warmer weather is starting to make him restless too, it's been a lot warmer here in California (80s during the day, 60s at night) so I am having to leave a window open near him during the night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast