Sudden mobility and anxiety issue.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sudden mobility and anxiety issue.

melsni is offline Junior Member

DefaultSudden mobility and anxiety issue.

My 9 1/2 year old chocolate Jada is in GREAT shape and VERY active. Her weight is perfect and she has no history of hip dysplasia or any joint/muscular issues. She normally sleeps on our bed and jumps up in the middle when it is time for bed. last night she kind of "missed" and didn't make it up on the first try. she seemed very upset by this and it took some encouragement but she finally jumped up even though she was a little tentative. then, during the night, she started trying to snuggle up close to me (very unusual) and she was awake and panting. when it tried to move her, she yelped a little. She got off the bed and refused to get back up the rest of the night. I don't think she slept a bit all night (neither did I)...then when we got up this morning to head out in the car to go to do our 3 mile walk, she wouldn't jump in the car and I had to help her. I hesitated over the walking, but she had no limp and acted normal except for jumping up. we walked and she was 100% normal walking...at the end of the walk, she hesitated, but jumped in the back of the car on her own. she is now completely konked out.....can I give her advil or tylenol? do you think she just pulled a muscle...would this cause the anxiety? I have massaged all over her and she doesn't seem to have any pain points. it is the weirdest thing and I'm not sure that a vet visit is needed, but I'm worried still....any ideas??

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

She hurt herself and she's a senior dog. It's like a senior parent falling and while it wouldn't hurt us, it DOES hurt them.

You cannot self medicate with tylenol or advil, both dangerous to dogs. And while you can use a bit of buffered aspirin, what you NEED is a vet appointment. And you don't want the dog medicated for that.

Make the appointment now.

Update on sweet Jada...took her to the vet. no xray at this point because she really seemed fine at the appointment. They believe she just pulled a muscle. prescribed anti-inflammatory and if not improved in 5 days, I will take her back. She still didn't jump on to the bed, but slept beside the bed. less anxious, but still hesitant in relation to mobility. I think she has to skip our walk this morning....

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Hope she gets better soon. Hate it when they don't feel good. They can't tell us what hurts. I understand her being a bit iffy on jumping if it hurts. Poor girl. Keep us updated.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Glad you got her to the vet! I hope she is better in a few days - but - she may not be able to jump up on a bed anymore at her age. Does she have one on the floor?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Did the vet tell you to rest her, not walk her, until the muscle heals. The problem with seniors is that you can't be sure if it's arthritis or an injury. If it's arthritis, a walk can be good for them, but most injuries are treated with rest. I hope Jada feels better soon.

Update on Jada --- Anti-inflammatory seems to be really helping. she is also getting plenty of rest....I really see a lot of improvement. definitely behaving like her old self...still no jumping on the bed, but she does have a comfy bed on the floor....although my husband has lifted her into our bed for the last couple of nights...which seems to make her VERY happy...2 more days of the meds and we will see if we need to return to the vet. He definitely thought it was more of an injury that arthritis at this point because it was all related to her missed attempt at jumping on the bed. Thank you for all your replies....It is so hard seeing her get older......

+ Reply to Thread