My 13 year old lab and bone cancer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 13 year old lab and bone cancer

obxmarried is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy 13 year old lab and bone cancer

Our 13 year old lab Miss Emily was just diagnosed with bone cancer last week. Like alot of people I thought she was just arthritic and waited to long to have it checked out. At this point, her age, and weight (80 lbs) surgery is something we have decided not to do. My husband has to carry her upand down the stairs now and her appetite has changed. She no longer wants her canned dog food but really enjoys people food. I have started fixing her scramble eggs for lunch. An suggestions on foods I can fix for her that won't hurt her? The vet has her on Tramadol and Prednisone. My mom worrying about Miss Emily gave me Graviola and Pau D' Arco to "help" with the cancer. Does anyone know anything about these 2 and would they really help at this point? I'm feeling at this point to try and keep her as comfortable as possible and everyone has told me I'll know when it's time. This is my first dog and at my age (41) I'm having a real hard time with this. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Garth is offline Registered Users

I'm so sorry for you & your girl. That's really tough.

everyone has told me I'll know when it's time.
    I've lost 2 to cancer. Trust me, you'll know. They get that look that's their way of telling you they don't want to carry on. I always have the discussion with my vet re quality of life. If my vet convinces me the dog is no longer enjoying life, well .............

Kassabella (Chris) on here lost a dog to bone cancer & has been fundraising for it ever since. This is the organization she supports:

Bone Cancer Dogs

It's past 3am in her country right now so don't expect her to see this for at least 12 hours. I'll PM this thread to her. She'll probably have more help for you.

Garth,
    Thank you.
    I'm so thankful I found this site. It helps knowing there are others out there who have been through this.
    I look forward to hearing from Chris.
    Lora

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rugernmoesma is offline Member

You will know, and when you know do not second guess yourself! Trust your heart and your head. We have lost two labs to cancer. The first was so difficult and we kept her with us about a month longer than we should have because we were so upset by the thought of losing her. When we finally went to the vet to have her put to sleep she was soooo calm and relaxed finally as to say 'this is what is best for me, mom and dad' She was such a sweet girl and 8 1/2 years later I still think about her daily. Then this fall we lost our boy also to cancer. We knew a little more and we were not going to let him suffer at all. He was diagnosed September 21 after waking up with a odd limp two days earlier, he was gone October 20th. He was a wonderful dog as well and we are still grieving but we knew he was ready to go. You will know, and when you know do not second guess yourself!
    Kim~

Nicki July 1993-July 2, 2004
    Ruger June 10,2004-October 24, 2012
    Mocha November 11, 2004-
    Nala October 13, 2012-

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Thank you Garth.

I am sorry the beast has come to your house. There are no right or wrong decisions, but if it were me I wouldn't do surgery either.
    Kassa had it in her jaw and at the time wasn't an option here in N.Z.

At the bottom of my siggy is the link to the BCD where you will get a lot of info. You will get miles of support in the yahoo group.

Food. Try not to feed anything with sugars as sugar feeds off the cancer.
    I took Kassa off anything processed and feed natural food. Vitamins and stuff I can't remeber, but in BCD there are links and my web site. I am home for lunch so when I come home tonight will find it all if you haven't had time.Sorry I don't had it off hand my head is full of work.

I spent too long wondering what will happen, how, why, what and all those emotions this devestation brings instead of spending that time with Kass. Luckily I realised before it was too late. and we had 10 treasured months.

Cancer has no rules, so you just have go on this awful ride with it and enjoy each day. Treasure the memories. Never second guess yourself.
    If you need to vent or a shoulder please pm me or email me any time.

eta. Here is the link to the support group. They know all the latest drugs, and protocols.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/b...cerdogs/files/

When they get to the stage they won't eat any food this is a list. Then it didn't matter about sugars.
    The peppermint someone added after my story. Kass loved peppermint so I would eat the chocolate off put her pills in the peppermint and give to her. One day I didn't stop at the chocolate. I ate it all ...her vet pills included. lol.A fun memory in the darkness.

Ideas of when they slow down or won’t eat.

boiled chicken
    liver
    steak
    salmon
    tuna
    canned cat food and/or treats
    eggs- raw or scrambled
    liverwurst
    salami
    roast beef
    ham
    hot dogs
    cottage cheese
    peanut butter
    sweet potato
    cheese whiz (mixed with kibble)
    Chinese egg drop soup
    Chinese boneless spareribs
    French fries
    Cookies
    Peppermint patties-minus the chocolate
    Baby food
    Vanilla ice cream
    go back to carbs, kibble, dog biscuits, treats, bread
    Pedigree Chucks in sauce- warm up gravy

ideas:
    warm up food- enhance the smell
    competition for food, make them "want" it
    blender/mixer - soften food
    put food in kong
    hand feed
    blend up, cooked into patties, cooled.
    Cook and puree chicken, meat or liver- strain to make thin soup
    Last edited by kassabella; 12-10-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am so very sorry Lora. We lost our 12 yr old last year. It was sudden, and thankfully we didn't have to face what you are now facing. Losing a beloved pet is so difficult. I can't imagine having to deal with your horrible diagnosis eveyday. I pray for your strength, and hope that Miss Emily stays strong and is able to be with you longer.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thank you all so very much. Me and Miss Emily are doing much better today. After a lot of research and praying I have decided not to give her the Graviola and Pau D Arco. I'm also going to stop the prednisone and go back to aspirin for inflammation. She's not herself on the prednisone.

Thank you so much for the food suggestions Chris. Yesterday she had scrambled eggs with salmon and today she had oatmeal with cinnamon and honey.

I am so grateful for the 13 years I have had her and am going to sit back and enjoy our time left without worrying so much.

550079_4893037366447_1205136921_n.jpg

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am glad you and Miss Emily had a better day. I would tell the vet the Pred isn't suiting her. There are so many other drugs she can have. Tramadol, Rimadyl, are a couple used. I am not up to date with the meds they use. If you don't want to joing the group I am happy to ask for you. Think some have used patches as well. Kass had Rimadyl. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't use it, but for that it worked well.

Ernie had asprin for his joints a few years ago until it no longer worked and he went on other anti inflamtories which worked better. Pred long term for his gut and now on now has Tramadol which takes his pain away.

With any pain it is better to try and keep it under control rather than wait for the pain then try and deal with it. Dogs are very stoic.

Good thoughts.

eta. I had a quick browse through the group and found this.

Some use previcox.
    Pain meds and anti-inflammatory medicines are great adjuncts to pain management if the dog can tolerate them.

Amantadine and gabapentin have been used as well with varying results. Ernie is on gabapentin as well as Tramadol and his is arthritis. Bone cancer is a lot more painful. Another thing is adding bisphosphonates both for pain management and to stabilize the bone and decrease the risk of fracture.

I don't to frighten you any more than you are, but would feel bad if I didn't tell you bone cancer is painful. I watched a friend fight it.
    Last edited by kassabella; 12-12-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. I lost my 13 year old yellow girl a few weeks ago to arthritis. It was really bad in her back legs and along her spinal cord. I "knew" it was time when she went outside and just wanted to lay there. She was in too much pain to squat and go potty and needed me to help lift her hind end with a towel to get her inside. I told her that it was okay and that she had had such a great life and was pampered and spoiled beyond belief that I was ready to let her go. My thoughts are with you and your girl.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

I talked to the vet and we have decided to keep going with the Prednisone and also Tramadol. Thank you for the heads up about the pain. She doesn't show it. The vet is amazed at her high tolerance for pain. I have barely left her side since we found out about the bone cancer and can now recognize when she is in severe pain (she chatters and pants). I am making sure to give Miss Emily her pills on time wether she is showing pain or not. It seems to be worse at night. I slept with her last night and it helped her rest so much better I will continue it. Once again thank you all for all the help and support.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast