When do you know "it's time" ? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you know "it's time" ?

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by elle.burns View Post
    This thread has me in tears..
    Me too :'(

My boyfriend's dog was 17 when he was put down, but by that time he had completely given up. He could barely get outside to pee, and if he did, it was by dragging his back legs around behind him. As Ben the yellow lab was not my dog, and didn't even live with us, there was no way I could have said "You really need to put this dog down" because that is a terrible thing to tell someone! I'm sure your dog won't get to this point, but like people have said, if they are blatantly not enjoying life any more then it is probably best for them to go.

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

I'm reading all these and I'm in tears ...and anger. I feel anger because they are so amazing creatures who gives us humans SO much, they are so loyal and they loves us more than they love themselves but God still gave them these genetic health problems that they have to go through. They DO NOT deserve this!!! Why can't they just go peacefully?? Why do they have to suffer?? Man, they just don't deserve the pain! They don't deserve to go so fast!

I'm sending good thoughts and hugs.

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

eeeks is offline Junior Member

I'm going through the same thing with my Duke. He's now 8 (but probably older, since he was a rescue dog). Duke was diagnosed in June with Stage III malignant melanoma...cancer. He had a tumor in his mouth removed then, and has been fighting it with the DNA Vaccine and diet....

But recently the tumor grew back...twice as large as before. Duke still eats and drinks...likes going for his walks...but I know this is taking a toll on him. It bleeds occaisionally when he accidently bites into it while chewing...and he smells...or, rather the tumor smells really, really, really bad.

I had to take away one of his pastimes: chewy toys, because it tends to rip open the tumor....

But he's swallowing (inadvertently) some amount of blood...which gives him diarrhea...

He's just getting over that...

But, I just don't know when its time....he's not in any pain...still jumps up and down when I come home....LOVES going out for his walk...Sure, he's older and has slowed down, but can still get up and down the stairs.

I've been sleeping with him on the floor the past couple of days when his stomach issues were bothering him...but I've been staying with him a lot just so I can maximize the time I have left with him.

Sure, I could've done the radical surgery...but at his age...and not to mention the cost of it...I just couldn't afford it.

So, my family and I made the decision with his primary care vet to just spoil him in the time we have left. Our oncologist originally gave him a couple of months after the original diagnosis...its been about 6-7 months since.

Bottom line...I just don't know....so I feel what you're going through.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Eecks I am sorry you are going through this. Kassa had cancer in the jaw and had the awful breath and blood. She didn't get diarrhea thankfully. She fought for 10 months before I let her go. Could it be the meds or food that is giving him stomach issues?

Good thoughts coming.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

eeeks is offline Junior Member

Duke seems to be over his stomach issues, thankfully.

Today we had a light dusting of snow and Duke LOVES snow.

My once slow, senior "puppy," ran out into the yard and proceeded to roll around in the powder...dusting himself so completely that he looked more like a pale yellow lab. He stuck his head into it and threw it up...spraying everything around him in snow.

His tail was wagging in hyperdrive the whole time we went out for our walk...He absolutely delighted in snorting up great plumes of the white stuff.

Times like this, I forget he's even sick at all....

When we got home, I brushed him off and let him warm up by the fire. He's curled up at my feet as I type this...snoring contentedly.

Duke got me through some extremely rough times...I just want to help him through his.

Lady-Bell's Mom is offline Junior Member

My Parents have a 16 year old Chocolate Lab. I don't think that Sadie will ever leave us… at least not on her own free will…. I believe that the natural stubbornness of the breed is in full force with our dear Sadie Bear. Still that said…. how do you know when it's time? She is blind and deaf and until recently she was aloud to go outside to do her business with out a leash nor a fence. That is until she started walking out into the road and standing in front of cars. Poor Sadie.

JamesE93 is offline Junior Member

It is a very heart breaking and difficult experience to go through. When a dog is in constant pain then it's time to be put down. Keep in mind that the only reason he is alive today is because of the care he receives. Nature would have laid him to rest long ago without the care you give him. So don't think of it as cutting his life short. My hope for you is that you soon think of her as a good memory rather than a painful loss

JamesE93 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    I'm reading all these and I'm in tears ...and anger. I feel anger because they are so amazing creatures who gives us humans SO much, they are so loyal and they loves us more than they love themselves but God still gave them these genetic health problems that they have to go through. They DO NOT deserve this!!! Why can't they just go peacefully?? Why do they have to suffer?? Man, they just don't deserve the pain! They don't deserve to go so fast!

I'm sending good thoughts and hugs.
    It's just the way the world works. And God or nature did not create Labs, we did

Duckbuster74 is offline Junior Member

Its not something one can explain. You just know the time has come when you make the decision. I didn't think I could do it until I knew I had to. I also had a vet come to the house because I didn't want either one of us to go for that last ride to the vet.

SoapySophie is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by my2labs View Post
    Abbey will be 13 at the end of the month. She had double ACL reconstructive surgery in both hind legs 7 years ago. Now, the back legs are pretty arthritic and the muscles have atrophy because we don't make her over exert herself and the only exercise she gets is walking out to the tree lawn to go potty and then walking back to the house (she needs to stop and rest a few times on the way back). She's lumpy and bumpy and gets rimadyl twice a day to keep her comfortable. We took her to the vet last night because she has had a horrible case of diarrhea the past 2 days and found she has lost 10 pounds in 5 months. She still eats, not as normally since her sister crossed the rainbow bridge in July, but enough to keep her going. She doesn't have any accidents in the house. I guess I was wondering how I will know it's time to let her go? Everyone says there is "a look" they give you but how will I know the look? When is it being selfish to keep her around? What are the chances that she might just pass peacefully in her sleep instead of having to schedule her to be put down? My vet said that even though some of the arthritic drugs may cause some organ problems, would I want the other effect of her being in pain the last few months? I guess I just want to make the right decision when it's time and help my husband understand that it is the only choice we have. Thanks for your help.
    I don't know any of you (yet) but having gone through the pain of making such a decision twice with two of my beloved cats in the past, I'm sitting here crying with you after reading this thread.

I had hoped that my 21-yr old cat would have been able to go to sleep one night and just not wake up so I wouldn't have to make that dreaded decision, but she went downhill quickly and we couldn't let her continue like that. It was one of the worst days of my life and I was very bitter that we get put in this position of deciding who lives and who dies, but we say our goodbyes when we have to...eventually the grief turns into the desire to love a new creature, whom will be happy as a peach to receive the never-ending supply of love you have to offer.

I wish Abbey, yourself, and your family comfort. I noticed that there is no photo of Abbey in your sig - I would love to see the darling in her happier days if you have one and wish to share.

Jen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast