12 yr old rescued Lab
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12 yr old rescued Lab

Cari is offline Junior Member

Default12 yr old rescued Lab

We recently rescued a beautiful, gentle 12 yr old Lab named Decoy. He was passed around to three families before we adopted him. He grew up with another lab and three little boys. The parents divorced and neither could keep him. The other lab was put down due to illness. Decoy is suffering, although much better, from seperation anxiety. He barks when my husband and I leave him at home or simply go upstairs out of his sight. He can no longer climb the stairs. We generally plan our lives around him as we hate to see him agitated. He is the best behaved dog other than this and loves everyone and everything. I know it doesn't seem like much of an issue, but we pledged we would give him a happy and comfortable life in his end years and want to do all we can. Any tips?

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Spoil him. My senior loves plenty of cookies and play time, even though he can't move fast.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Thank you and bless him ! Just lots of love and lots of company !

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

The seniors are so very special - I have one myself (just turned 15 on August 8th). As mentioned above, spoil him! Being tossed around three families can be quite traumatic, especially for a senior who had been used to one family for so long. My life also revolves around my dogs and their schedules. If I can take my dogs somewhere, I take them. I would rather they be with me than at home by themselves. I'm no expert on separation anxiety - you may be able to search the threads as I'm sure there has been discussions on the topic. It sounds like you love him either way and are committed to giving him a loving and caring home for his twilight years - he may settle down after awhile once he realizes you aren't going anywhere.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Thank you for saving him and loving him!!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

God bless you for adopting him. You will find that Decoy will give you more than you give him.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful thing to do. Poor baby being bouced around at his age. I think you are doing exactly the right thing for him - you are giving him a forever home and love, all the other stuff will work out. Bless his old soul.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Thank you so much for loving this boy. I can't imagine abandoning my dog like that. He must be so confused. Just love and spoil him as much as you can. You're special people to do this.

Dogmom2 is offline Junior Member

Once he is settled and feels secure in his permanence with your family I bet he stops. It takes a while....
    Honestly, it may be why he has been through a few families before you...they didn't have the patience to deal with his insecurities.
    Try taking him a long walk, or practice commands and praise to tire him out a little before you head upstairs.
    Or a dog puzzle that has treats....

Patience, consistency are the key. It just takes time.

+ Reply to Thread