Elevated liver enzymes - Lab 9 years
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elevated liver enzymes - Lab 9 years

lunamus is offline Senior Member

DefaultElevated liver enzymes - Lab 9 years

Luna turned 9 on april 5. She's my first dog, so I have no clue what to expect. She is still lively and happy. Yesterday we went for a 11 km hike and she just kept on going, my little girl :-)

She went for a check-up and bloodwork 2 weeks ago. All was perfect except an elevated liver enzymes count. It should be between 10-118 (it's the ALT if that means anything), and it was 448, so quite high.

I don't know if the numbers are still high, but we're going in for another bloodtest tomorrow.

Luna is 27.3 kg and that is spot on. I can feel her ribcage, when I stroke, its not visible, though when she trot, you can juuuust spot them.

She's been rawfed for the past 7 years, but because of elevated liver enzymes, I don't know if I dare to keep it up. I've been told to avoid red meat (that would be ox, cow and horse and venison right?), pork (she doesn't get much anyway as she gets a hard poo of it). That leaves me with poultry.. Mostly chicken as turkey isn't that easy to find. I'm not sure that's enough.. Not for variation anyway. So for now she's on kibble. Wolfsblut Wild Pacific.

I don't know if there's anyone with seniordogs, who are rawfeeding them?

A picture of Luna enjoying the sun the other day:

And on her birthday a good month ago

Last edited by lunamus; 05-15-2012 at 05:04 AM.
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

bett is offline Senior Member

i have the same thing with rex, my 10 yr old. there is something that my vet tried to explain to me, where the blood is shaken and that can throw the numbers off. that being said, i have him on sam-e 600 mgs, and milk thistle , 175 mgs.
    it does help to bring it down but my vet suggested 2 months before another test.

i'm not raw feeding at the moment and my vet wasn't terribly concerned because it was only the ALT, and not the other liver enzymes.

Thanks for your answer. Milk thistle, I've heard of, yes.

We are repeating the test already, as we want to completely rule out, that the number could be caused by pain releaf. She had a cartrophene injection on march 28., it shouldn't still have an effect on the numbers after 4 weeks, but just to be sure, we gave it 2 more weeks. So I'm a bit curious as to what the numbers say today.

And what we're gonna do, if they haven't changed or have gotten even higher.

I must admit that already after 1 week, I'm missing the raw feeding, in some weird way. Oh well, I've gotta wait and see :-)
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Jeanette she is looking great. I am sorry the tests aren't right.
    I can't help on the food as I have no choice in what I feed Erns. What about fish as well as the chicken or duck.

There is the Rimadyl and the Pentosan cartrophen. There is a slightly different spelling and I get mixed up. Erns has been having the Pentosan one for years and been fine. He has it once a month. How often does Luna have it.?

Good thought the levels come down.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

bett is offline Senior Member

try sam-e too.

Quote Originally Posted by kassabella View Post
    Jeanette she is looking great. I am sorry the tests aren't right.
    I can't help on the food as I have no choice in what I feed Erns. What about fish as well as the chicken or duck.

There is the Rimadyl and the Pentosan cartrophen. There is a slightly different spelling and I get mixed up. Erns has been having the Pentosan one for years and been fine. He has it once a month. How often does Luna have it.?

Good thought the levels come down.
    Thanks Chris

Rimadyl is what I give if its just for a few days, Cartrophen is injections, here in Denmark they are given in uhm, what is it called.. over short periods. This last one was 5 injections, one each week. The 5. injection was on march 28. She got it because in december she made a strange twist in her back, and after chiropractor and massage visits, our masseuse suggested a course of cartrophen.

Last time she had cartrophen injections was in 2009 just before she got attacked, she had a sore knee.

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    try sam-e too.
    Thanks I'll try and google that!

The test today showed that the number had dropped quite a lot. Its on 163 now, still over the limit, but my vet is convinced that the elevation is caused of the cartrophen. We're gonna have another test in 3 months and NO painkillers in that time, unless absolutely necessary (shouldn't be a problem)

Im gonna go back to the raw, combined with cooked fish, rice/quinoa and use the kibble I've already bought for search in the garden and as treats on walks.

We just gotta be aware that she has a delicate liver. So no more red meat or pork. Fish and poultry and the odd lamb-bone. Combined with homecooked food with added vitamines, should keep her going for a good number of years yet

+ Reply to Thread