Hi- dogfood question for senior Labrador
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi- dogfood question for senior Labrador

KS_Angel is offline Junior Member

DefaultHi- dogfood question for senior Labrador

Hi, I'm new to the site/forum but not new to being a Labrador owner. My fur baby is a 10 year old yellow and I wanted to know what any of you are feeding your seniors. I've seen a few threads here and there on the subject but a lot are older threads and not for Seniors. I also wanted to know anybody's opinion on the food Bil-jac?
    Any info is great appreciated.

Thanks
    Kimberly

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about that brand of food. Is there a senior formula of what you are currently feeding? What about medical issues - anything?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I don't know anything about that brand of food. Is there a senior formula of what you are currently feeding? What about medical issues - anything?
    Max does have ear issues. I have to be on top of his ear care regularly or else he's a mess and not just during the summer months when he's in the water any chance he gets. He was also vomitting almost daily several months ago. I changed his food to Bil-Jac, been on it about 3 months now and he's no longer vomitting but in the past few weeks I've noticed his ears starting to bother him. Bil-Jac doesn't make breed specific food but they do have formulas for stages of life and sensitivity etc. They claim to use more chicken meat/organs and some white fish in their formulas. I was just actually looking up some info on Bil-Jac and it was mentioned that they do use corn meal in their formulas which can be an issue for some dogs and cause yeast infections which happen to be the type of ear infections Max gets. I just want to make sure I am doing what I can for him and giving him what's best for him. I don't believe the most expensive or popular brands are always the best. I do try to do my research but after looking at different foods and ingredients I feel like I am crosseyed now. Any info is great appreciated. I know it's a hit and miss, it all depends on how he reacts to the food.
    Thanks Much,
    Kimberly

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Here are some reviews on Bil-Jac petco.com - Bil-Jac Select Dog Food customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings SOrry Im not much help. I was feeding my dogs crap before joining this forum.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

For what it's worth, my opinion is, unless there is a medical reason not to, feed regular adult food. As for Bil-Jac, if Max is having ear issues, the food could be the culprit- it could be the preservatives, grains or the protein source. Looking at this link: Bil Jac Dog Food | Review and Rating I see cornmeal and BHA, both of which would have caused issues in either Mick (our previous Lab mix) or Caleb (our current Lab). I'd suggest looking for a grain free food. You also want to avoid chemical preservatives and artificial colorings.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
    For what it's worth, my opinion is, unless there is a medical reason not to, feed regular adult food. As for Bil-Jac, if Max is having ear issues, the food could be the culprit- it could be the preservatives, grains or the protein source. Looking at this link: Bil Jac Dog Food | Review and Rating I see cornmeal and BHA, both of which would have caused issues in either Mick (our previous Lab mix) or Caleb (our current Lab). I'd suggest looking for a grain free food. You also want to avoid chemical preservatives and artificial colorings.
    Thank you,
    I have actually researched and have looked at some grain free foods or ones that do not contain corn meal. I am hoping that is the culprit. California Naturals, Purina Pro Plan, Nutrilife Gold and I think Nutra (Nutra) Ultra have been recommended by several to look at for grain free formulas. Our local Petco/Petsmart carry all of these except California Naturals but I can get that at a feed store.

Thanks again

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

There are also Salmon and sweet potato formulas which seem to really help with ear problems and I would add some plain, fat free yogurt twice a day. I have know people who had dogs with ear issues and they cleared up in a month or 2 never to retun as long as the food wasn't changed. Try dried salmon and sweet potatos treats and don't be tempted to cheat. Continue cleaning the ears and use a good quality Tea Tree oil (just a few drops) several times a day. I hope it works as well for you as I have seen it work for others!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

+ Reply to Thread