Adopting a 7 year old - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adopting a 7 year old

rookyduckling is offline Senior Member

when we got our golden (at 6 years old) we changed his name without any problems, he went from cosmo to max. within a matter of days he acted like he had always been with us. I think he appreciated being in the house and not tied to a tree anymore.

lab_mama is offline Junior Member

DefaultRef. adopting 7 yr old

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and was just perusing through the various discussions, saw this post and felt compelled to add my two cents. Several years ago, we decided to get a 2nd dog as a companion to our then 10 yr old male lab, Coal. I checked out a local rescue site and saw a picture of 'Chantel', which showed only a pic of her beautiful face. She was also the only lab (mix) that was closest in age (11) to Coal. Long story short, when I saw her, I KNEW we had to take her home. She was terribly overweight, panting, and looked like she could barely walk 10 feet without having to sit down for a rest. I couldn't bear the thought of her going back to the rescue home to finish out her twilight years like that. I knew my husband and I could get her down to a decent weight and give her the life she probably never had - regardless of how many years or even months she may have had left with us. I'm happy to say, we got her weight down to a much healthier weight. She was going on daily walks, running around at a local park (like a dog should be able to do!) and playing - having a happy, normal dog's life for her twilight years. She was the best. She lived to be 13. Two short years but so worth it.

So to answer some of your questions: 1)ref. what to look for with the people - if they're living in filth, then the dog/s are too, that would be a red flag. I can't imagine a breeder charging that amount for pups would have potential customers coming to their business if it was in filth. I think you'll be safe there. 2)The greying on their muzzle is normal. My male started getting grey at 6. 3) You asked about a way to tell if she was overbred. I would just ask the owners how many litters she's had in her 7 years. Even if she was 'overbred' that doesn't mean she's not pet material. 4) Not sure about the breast nipples question but you could always ask your vet. 5) Old dogs learning new tricks/learning your commands/changing name - the dog will adjust to whatever you decide to teach her or name her. We kept our dog's name the same but nicknamed her Channy & she figured it out. She came to that name & sweetheart & precious, etc...dogs know who you're talking to ;-) Most dogs are smart and can figure those things out. Chantel did - she adjusted to her new environment seamlessly. The most important thing you CAN do if you take this dog in, is take her to the vet so the dr. can give her an examination and put your worries at ease.

Our girl gave us unconditional love and enjoyment that will stay in our hearts for the rest of our lives. I say 'go for it' and give that 7 yr old a new life. She's got plenty of years left in her yet. Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go. (Sorry for the long post!!)

margie is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    This is harsh. Even breeders who love their dog sometimes have to make the decision to place a well loved breeding dog into a loving home where they can be more spoiled and loved for their last years. Just like a breeder sometimes keeps two puppies to see which will develop "better" conformation wise and re-home the other. It doesn't necessarily mean the breeder is bad, unethical nor that they don't love their dogs.
    I agree ,the breeder just wants a good family for her .We adopted anna when she was 7+ and she passed away in june at the sweet age of 13. It was one of the best things we ever did ,and I would do it again .She had a hanging belly and a grey face but that was what made her endearing .I hope you adopt this girl ,and let us know,

bett is offline Senior Member

if the dog was kept indoors, you have a chance she's housebroken and has some manners . if she were kept in kennels, it's a guess. but they train, no matter how young or old they are,
    i bet she's a beauty, hanging boobs and all.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Go for it IMO

Garth is offline Registered Users

7 isn't too old at all. In the past, I've adopted 2 King Charles Spaniels @ about 7 & 10yo. My GSD was 11 when I adopted her & I had her for 3 wonderful years before losing her to cancer.

I adopted my current Lab last October aged 6 1/2 so 7 is definitely no issue. My GSD was an outside dog all her life before I got her. She had no problem adapting to inside life at all. My Lab was let inside during the day & shut outside at night in his previous life. He now sleeps on the bed, couch or wherever else he wants.

My only advice (besides the health ones others have mentioned) would be if you had a cat/s, young children or another dog/s, make sure she is compatible with them. It's pointless taking her in if she's not going to get along with any existing family members. When I adopted my last 2, they had to pass my "Pug test". If they weren't compatible straight away, I didn't get them. Him & my GSD were instant friends when they met. When she died, I looked at a Labrador in the SPCA. He totally rejected it. When I looked at my current Lab, it was love at first sight. THAT is my main criteria for adopting. I lost my Pug in November. I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) adopting another one. When I do, that dog will have to be compatible with my Lab or I'll move on to the next one.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    7 isn't too old at all. In the past, I've adopted 2 King Charles Spaniels @ about 7 & 10yo. My GSD was 11 when I adopted her & I had her for 3 wonderful years before losing her to cancer.

I adopted my current Lab last October aged 6 1/2 so 7 is definitely no issue. My GSD was an outside dog all her life before I got her. She had no problem adapting to inside life at all. My Lab was let inside during the day & shut outside at night in his previous life. He now sleeps on the bed, couch or wherever else he wants.

My only advice (besides the health ones others have mentioned) would be if you had a cat/s, young children or another dog/s, make sure she is compatible with them. It's pointless taking her in if she's not going to get along with any existing family members. When I adopted my last 2, they had to pass my "Pug test". If they weren't compatible straight away, I didn't get them. Him & my GSD were instant friends when they met. When she died, I looked at a Labrador in the SPCA. He totally rejected it. When I looked at my current Lab, it was love at first sight. THAT is my main criteria for adopting. I lost my Pug in November. I'm currently in the process of (hopefully) adopting another one. When I do, that dog will have to be compatible with my Lab or I'll move on to the next one.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Can you even imagine young Bear not getting on with any other dog ? Look at that face !

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would say go for it. I rescued the most smelly, terrible looking, poorly treated chocolate Lab last July. I questioned my sanity, but lucky I didn't listen to my sanity as she has turned out to be the best thing I ever did.No one wanted her and in 6 months she has turned out to be the most gentle natured, companion a person could wish for.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

KSDeputy is offline Junior Member

We adopted an 8 year old black lab from rescue. We had lost our black lab about 6 months earlier. The pain of losing her was so great, not just for us, but for her pal our black longhair cat. The cat sat in the rock garden for six weeks waiting for her friend to come back. We went through the phase after losing her, I expect a lot of people do, of not having a dog again. I have a friend who had a number of small dogs through the years, and lost all of them. He said he would never have a dog again. I phoned them recently, and guess what they had another one. We adopted our 8 year old because we thought no one else would, due to her age. She has been a blessing to us. We spoil her rotten. She goes nuts when my wife gets home from work. I am disabled and can't do as many things with her as my wife can. I am so glad my friend who runs a shelter, called us about her.

Harli'sMom is offline Junior Member

As long as she gets lots of attention from you, she may not miss her buddies. I have adopted older dogs -- there is an adjustment period of a few weeks. They are confused at first, but I highly suggest basic obedience class. It will reinforce her commands and set you up as who she looks to for instruction. Treats, comfortable bed, all will make the transition easier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast