14 year old won't eat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 year old won't eat

ceruleanat is offline Junior Member

Default 14 year old won't eat

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have a 14 year old yellow lab whom about half a year ago, started to not like eating her dry food. I'd have to stand there and encourage her to eat it, and she would, but it started getting worse and worse. After two weeks of that, I switched it up to half dry food and half wet food. She ate it like crazy, but then about a month ago, that was getting old for her. So, switched to just wet food... that went well until now a week ago, she just completely stopped wanting to eat. I tried feeding her a banana, she ate the first two bites then was over it. Next morning, same thing. Didn't want to eat. I tried dog treats, nope. Peanut butter? Nuh uh. Called the vet, had blood work done and results came back vague. "Something is definitely wrong, but it can be either an infection, mass, or tumor. We'll need a urine sample." I turned in a urine sample today, won't get results until tomorrow but I'm restless, depressed and anxious. My dog's brother had to be put to sleep in September and so this is killing me to think to having to do this again. The thing that got me tonight was when I was laying with her. It seemed like she wasn't really there... I'd never seen her this sad/sick. I know it's probably her time to go... but just in case anyone else has experienced something like this with their dog, is it fixable? Man, situations like these...it's just hard.

Moses is offline Member

awe sure hope she is ok. If the vet clears her health, I would ask him if she could be mourning due to the loss of her brother. (((((HUGS))))) and prayers for you and your old girl...
    .....And she called his name Moses: and she said, Because I drew him out of the water. Exodus 2:10

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for you. It is so hard as our sweet dogs get older. It is hard to know what to do, or when to let go. I pray for your strength, and to help you with whatever happens.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

ceruleanat is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the kind words. Thought I'd update the forum to say that my family and I let our little Prissy go today. She left us at 11:53am PST. We had the same lady who let Prissy's brother go come do the same with her. Both were home euthanized appointments which makes it so much better than being at the vet. The hardest part was seeing the look on her face when the lady came in. I'm not sure how a dog's memory works, but the look on her face went from normal, to sad/serious. Her head even moved down a bit. And usually she is incredibly excited to see people. All in all, she went peacefully and beautifully. It's hard to comprehend a breathing animal to non... life to death... but I am most certain she is with Eddie again.

I made sure her last week here on earth was spent as much outdoors as possible. We went to dog beach a few times, once was so she could watch the sunset for the last time day before yesterday. We also went to my neighborhood park, drove around/ran errands, went to eat with my mom at a restaurant which was dog friendly on the outside, took her to my best friend's house so he could say goodbye, etc. When I'd walk her, we would only walk about 200 feet and then stop... walk another 200 feet, stop etc. Even though she would want to keep going, it wasn't good to over do it especially with her little limping and panting. We would have a system as well when we'd get into my car... she'd go in halfway and wait for me to help pick her up on the other half to move in. :')

Ugh. Very emotional day. The house is so empty and silent. All that's left now is my cat and bearded dragon. I let Prissy and Eddie know that the next dog that I get will be from an animal shelter, and that I would make sure to show him/her their pictures and tell wonderful stories about them. Might sound a bit odd/weird but it just makes me feel better. Even though I only had one post, this forum was very helpful to me. I shall sign off with a picture of Prissy at her last sunset, a portrait, and a picture of Eddie and Prissy together. Click to enlarge.

Take care.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

She was beautiful and it sounds like she, and you, had a very nice time saying goodbye. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you gave her a wonderful 'last week'
    Meg

Lena - Black Dog BOSS DOG - 16 yrs
    Sunnie - Yellow DOG high maintenance - turns 15 on 10/04/11
    Shelby - Yellow dog cute as a button - 5 ish

Samson is offline Senior Member

Sorry for your loss ! She was obviously much loved.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I sobbed reading your last post. My heart is breaking for your loss.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

gregk9 is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry for your loss! May she rest in peace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast