Lumpy or "fatty" spots/tumors on older labs
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lumpy or "fatty" spots/tumors on older labs

BlackLabMacy is offline Junior Member

Default Lumpy or "fatty" spots/tumors on older labs

Hi everyone!

My parents have a 7 year old chocolate lab, Snickers, who has had an issue with developing "fatty" spots or lumps on his body over the past 2 years. When they first noticed the spots, they took Snickers to the vet and had the spots tested. The were benign (cancer free) and the vet said not to worry about them. My parents decided to have the 2 spots removed then just in case. 1 spot was on the outter left thigh and the other spot was underneath on his belly towards his head. He has since developed more fatty spots and the vet has checked them again and said they are still benign. This time it's under his right armpit (the largest of all of them a little smaller than a tennis ball and on his belly again). They have scheduled surgery again just to make sure and not have them make his walking uncomfortable.

I was wondering, has any other lab owners had problems with fatty spots? We have owned 4 labs now and Snickers is the only one to get them. Thanks for your input!!

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Gordy is 9 now and he has two fatty lumps on him. I think it is part of getting older. I don't know if it more common in some lines vs others. Gordy is my first senior lab. My first two dogs died young.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our Maggie was 12 when we lost her in May. She had many of the fatty tumors. She had them for years. Her largest was about the size of half a golf ball. Our vet said that over weight older dogs, especially spayed females get them. They are usually on the torso. I have never seen one on a leg or thigh. From what we were told, there was no need to remove them unless they were causing a problem, like you described with walking.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BlackLabMacy is offline Junior Member

Thank you to both of you who replied! Good to know it's not anything serious.

vonoh30 is offline Junior Member

Just read your question. I now have a 4 year old black female named Maggie. I got her right after my previous Lab Sheeba had to be put down at the very old age of 15 years 3 months. Amazing I had her that long. She had terrible skin allergies throughout her life. She developed large fatty tumors on her belly and 2 smaller ones on her rear hind legs, both not uncommon in Labs. Aspirations of growth showed no cancer which is always a concern, but the one her belly grow so big it almost touched the ground. Had it removed at age 10 and she became more active. My 4 year old Maggie (photo attached) shows no signs of growths...but I always keep check of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vonoh30; 04-01-2012 at 07:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread