Arthritis and having a hard time walking/limping
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis and having a hard time walking/limping

Tasha is offline Junior Member

DefaultArthritis and having a hard time walking/limping

Hi my name is Marie and I have a 12 yr old female black lab...I have had her since she was 8 wks old...she is like another child to me and has always been the sweetest and happy dog....kids could do anything to her..she has always been VERY hyper but in the last few months she has had a rapid decline in walking, going up and down stairs to our deck. She is now on Demaraxx 1/2 tablet of 100 mg and glucosamine....nothing is helping and I see deterioting every day...she still eats, drinks and wags her tail but mostly lies down and sleeps. I am at the decision process about how much longer do I keep her ...I am very sad and heartbroken, my vet says as long as she is eating and wagging her tail, her quality of life is still good. I hate seeing her limp from her front leg, the back legs have muscle deteriated and they shake...when I touch her on her rear back her skins jumps....any advice/experience appreciated. I dont want her to suffer and it seems to be getting worse everyday.

FilmFreak is offline Junior Member

Have you tried Rimadol? that's what we got my dog on. Surprisingly, Aspirin also works. But just do the children's aspirin, the coated ones. We tried the adult dose, and my dog started puking.

rudysmom is offline Junior Member

I have an 11 yr. old yellow lab whose is experiencing the muscle weakness in his back legs also. He is taking Rimadyl and been on glucostamine and chondroitin for some time now. I do believe that they have been helping him but as a mother of this wonderful family member who I love dearly I worry so much of his quality of life. He too is wagging his tail, eating and even plays with his 9 yr. old black lab brother. So, I am watching him and continue to pray that he is not hurting in any way. My life is in my two labs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bett is offline Senior Member

What about adequan shots?

Samson is offline Senior Member

You should discuss alternatives with the vet ! Not all medication works ! Rimadyl particularly can be toxic to some dogs and can also be dangerous depending on the dog !

I'm no expert ! Please talk to the vet some more !

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry you are dealing with this right now. I would definitely look for some alternatives to the Rimadyl, it certainly can't hurt! Good luck with your dog and welcome to the forum!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bett View Post
    What about adequan shots?
    Erns wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for them. They don;t have the side effects Rimadyl has either. Rimadyl can be hard on the gut. There are other things like Metacam that is more gentle.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

myloo is offline Junior Member

First thing I really feel for you, when you see your once active lab going into decline it is so very sad. I had to make the hard decision in April to put my 16 year old Annie to rest
    she was arthritic and incontinent.also being a tipical lab she wag her tail and gobbled her food until the end. But what made me decide to end her life was someone saying to me. QUALITY OF LIFE IS THE ABILITY TO LIVE LIKE A DOG. and that made me decide, it was hard but I have no regrets.
    Hugs for your decission jane xx

robertlent007 is offline Junior Member

I'm currently going through this myself for the second time. I lost my old girl, Zoe, over a year ago and now my old man, Tucker, has lost the ability to stand up and walk. We started him on Rimadyl last week and we saw an improvement in just a few days. However, in the last two days he has lost all capability of walking again. Now I pick him up and carry him over my shoulder, 96 lbs, up and down the stairs, through the house and out to the yard. He did allow me to hold him up this morning to do #1 and #2. I don't know when or how I will be able to do what is necessary this time. With Zoe I waited until I had no choice - I was selfish because I was not ready to let her go. I honestly think I cried everyday for a year after she passed before I was able to come to terms with it. This time I feel I might lose my mind therefore I am greatful that I came back to this website this morning to help give support and get support. I find that if you think of the good times it helps. Sometimes I think about the things Zoe destroyed as a puppy when I turned my back for 5 mins and now I find myself laughing at it. The times she would sneek into the pool or lake and come back in the house thinking I wouldn't know she was in there. These things you have to keep thinking about when the saddness is overwhelming. I too will have to remind myself again all too soon with my old man, Tucker.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Robertlent 007. I am sorry you lost your girl and going through this with your dog.
    I lost my 3 year old to jaw cancer so I too know about having to let go. It is the hardest act of love we do for our dogs.
    My 10 year old has had serious joint problems and arthritis since I adopted him 7 years ago. Vets said he wouldn't be an old dog, so when he reached 10 I was so happy, but I want more time. Much more.
    They are never with us for long enough. Each winter I wonder if it will be his last. There is nothing more they can do for him and the last few days seeing him struggle to do things breaks my heart.

For me with Kassa it was letting her go with dignity before the cancer ruined her beautiful face. For Erns.......I try not to think about it.

I am glad you have special memories. They do help, and sharing your precious dog helps too. Please come back and share your old man with us.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast