senior health ?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: senior health ?

mrbb is offline Junior Member

Defaultsenior health ?

Ok, I have a senior male lab, with a few issue's, he has just been found to have a large mass tumor next to his spleen, about the size of a baseball or bigger
    and his spleen is twice the normal size
    some very bad arthritis all over, hear,t liver, lungs all good, one lung has slight issue but had that all his life

been to many vets, and had many test done last few days, blood, ultra sounds, radiographs, ect.

we all agree that surgery is not a good option( or at least not any better, and why do the stress and recovery worries), and plan is to let it run its course with plans to have an as fast as possible put down if the tumor burst, or things get bad.

that said
    my question is, he is very happy sleeping, and seems to want to sleep all day,
    he been like this all his life with the last few yrs, he slept most of the day/nite unless there was something better to do
    But
    he got 3-4 walks every day, they got shorter as age and arthritis got the better of him, and I let him swim, get wet as many times, as he was a water lab for sure, just loves being wet!

should I let him sleep all day, or should I try to get him to do more things
    I still walk him twice a day, and I take him for a ride twice a day as well
    , really likes them,
    but he sleeps most of the ride, but when he is up in the truck, he has a smile on him!
    but lifting him in and out now worries me some!

I walked him more to try to keep joints going as best they can, and for the boost on quality of life, and there fun for me as well!

but now with this tumor, and knowing it can burst any time
    should I let him just rest more
    I know that will lower the risk, but it will also make getting up harder as time goes on!, and loose more muscle mass!
    which is the better evil!
    just looking for opinions

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

How old is your senior? I think he probably knows what her feels like doing. Old people sleep most of the time too. Its just part of the aging process. If he is getting a couple walks a day, short ones, and he is still eating....I would let him sleep or whatever his heart desires. The problem with these tumors is they can get heavy and literally pull out the side if a vein, artery or organ and the dog can bleed out internally really fast. So I would love and enjoy him, and as he naps, pet an love on him for as long as you can. I know how hard it is, we lost our sweet Maggimay in May. She was 12. I will hold you in my thoughts and prayers.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

thanks, he is gaining on 13 now
    I love him as much as possible, a sleep or a wake
    I actually have semi retired to be with him till the end, so, he has me 24-7 and me him for now!
    so spoiled we are together for now

going to be extra hard when his time comes
    as my world right now revolves arround him!

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It is so difficult. My heart goes out to you, and what you must face. When we lost Maggie I was devastated. I kept thinking I just wanted the pain to stop. We got our Sophie on June 3 after losing Maggie on May 17. She has been a joy, but I still cry over my heart dog, Maggie. I wish there was something I could say to make it easier for you, but there just isn't. Pam
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry. When Kassa had cancer she was tired a lot. At first I tried to keep her walking, and interested thinking it would help her fight, but decided to let her and her body dictate when she wanted to go out. I sat beside her and let her know I was there, or she would sleep on my knee and it seemed to settle her. Maybe it was the best times for her?

Erns has bad joints and have had times he didn't get the excersise he needed so worried he would loose muscle mass. The vet said don't worry.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

thanks guys
    i feel for all that have gone down this road, and for those that will
    it the only bad part of owning a lab, or any pet for sure

since his eating issue started like 2-3 weks agio, he has lost almot 10 lbs

but last two days he has been eating a lot, so that makes me feel better, hate seeing him so thin

he is at least getting some weight back not, so,
    hope is still there, but its just not likely
    things are what they are

I will take what ever time i get and try to have it all be afun for him, and what ever he wants to do!, is what we will do!

+ Reply to Thread