Almost 15 and pees everywhere!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost 15 and pees everywhere!

DefaultAlmost 15 and pees everywhere!

One of our older girls has been peeing in the house for the past few weeks. She dribbles, so it's not just in one spot. Needless to say, our house SMELLS (I wish we could afford to get rid of the carpet and get wood floors!) She has been on DES for the last year. For the past 3 or 4 months she has been getting up to poop at all hours of the night and rarely makes it outisde. When people meet her, they cannot believe her age! She takes Vetprofen for her back legs/back because she is arthritic. Sometimes when she is on the tile floor, she splays out and can't get up. Once we help her up, she is fine. I just don't know how much longer we can live like this and I just can't imagine putting her down for these reasons. Had blood work last month and everything came back OK. She seems happy, has energy and loves to eat. I know there are doggie diapers, but cleaing up a poopy doggie diaper makes my stomach turn. Any other suggestions how we can cope with this?

Welcome to Labradors and Friends Dog Rescue Group
    Last edited by LabradorableCA; 09-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Meg

Lena - Black Dog BOSS DOG - 16 yrs
    Sunnie - Yellow DOG high maintenance - turns 15 on 10/04/11
    Shelby - Yellow dog cute as a button - 5 ish

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our 15 yr old poodle pees in her sleep. She is blind in one eye, but otherwise is healthy. She has quit asking to go out, we thought it was because she can't see to go down the stairs. She has taken to pooping in our master bathroom in front of the toilet, but she'll pee pretty much anywhere. Luckily she is a toy poodle and doesn't go much at a time. I wish there were some answers. We are just putting up with it, using the enzyme stuff and the spray on foam carpet freshner.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

At least she poops in front of the toilet! That I could handle since there is tile in our bathroom & that is much easier to clean than carpet.
    Sunnie first started peeing in her bed and that is when we put her on the DES. It worked really well for a year or so.
    I'm sorry you have to go through this
    Meg

Lena - Black Dog BOSS DOG - 16 yrs
    Sunnie - Yellow DOG high maintenance - turns 15 on 10/04/11
    Shelby - Yellow dog cute as a button - 5 ish

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

have you asked your vet for some awnser or your breeder? Sorry I have no suggestions but good thoughts for her
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

We started Tootsie on cranberry capsules when she started having accidents. I didn't like the side effects of proin and so far the crancaps are working for us. She still has an occasional accident if she sleeps too long sometimes just getting up off the couch or floor she will leak a little. The only other thing I would suggest is pee pee pads to see if she will poop/pee on them instead of on the carpet.

Natures miracle worked for a while but it didn't seem to get out the smell so we switched to carpet resolve works a little better. Between Tootsie and Ginger we will probably have to replace the section of carpet in front of the door. The pee pee pads worked for Ginger especially in cold weather and when it is raining when she doesn't stay out long enough to get her business over with.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

Donna1012 is offline Junior Member

I had a newfoundland/huskie mix that actually leaked. When she got up she had peed on the floor and didn't even realize it. The vet put her on PROIN twice a day. Its an antihistamine but is supposedly strengthens the bladder sphincter. The peeing stopped the day after we started the PROIN. Eventually we realized she had cushings disease and once that was under control, she didn't need the proin anymore. The Proin might help your girl at least get outside. Hope this is useful.

+ Reply to Thread