Help Q's on Leg Weakness/possible Cushings
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help Q's on Leg Weakness/possible Cushings

2LabsMom is offline Member

ExclamationHelp Q's on Leg Weakness/possible Cushings

Hello, My oldest boy is 10 yo he has had all kinds of medical problems seizures, thyroid related since he was 5.

Last winter he began to slow a lot more over just a few weeks so we brought him to the vet and after all kinds of blood work and etc he felt that cushings was the most likely reason for his troubles. He advised we should watch him closely and simply bring him back in if he gets worse. As of the last 2 weeks it has been another quick decline.

We are bringing him into the vet on Saturday but I was hoping someone has had experience around this?

Regardless of if it is a yes or no to cushings I am hoping for ideas to make him more comfortable and help him get around.
    He still wants to have our affection and has still has lots of life in him he simply has a very hard time getting up and staying up (we have nearly all hard flooring), particularly at the beginning and end of the day; his hind legs just seem too weak and he has been giving up and just laying where hefalls. We have laid some yoga rugs around to try to stop him from slipping but it is not a permanent fix for him, so that leads me here:

Does anyone have any ideas to help that have worked for your dog that we can toss around with the vet? As well as any other suggestions on ideas to help with leg strength would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Stacey

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie has bad joints and swimming is the best thing for him. We are coming out of winter and each year it is fingers crossed he can make the last couple of months before he can swim again.

If he can't swim I keep him moving, as often as I can. I come home at lunch time to walk him. If he sleeps too long he can't get up.When he became bad notlong after I got him I walked him around the house every 5 mins, then 10 until we got to 30mins every day. No more or he gets too sore. This built up the muscle.

Good thoughts coming.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2LabsMom is offline Member

So another trip to the vet for more blood work, medication to see if any is arthritis related. Once bloodwork returns vet feels like it will probably be time for the real cushings test but he wanted to rule out every option first. I am desperately hoping this is arthritis but with all the health problems I think that would be some serious luck for ole Jake. Fingers crossed, but we should hear from the vet next week!!

Thanks for the reply on the exercise, we try to ensure he walks with us each day as he does not like to swim--which I realize is ODD! Please send positive non cushings thoughts to us...I don't know how I will react as we reach nearer to his last days with us but our young one Bailey I fear will really struggle...came back from the vet to him softly whimpering at the dog bed today

Stacey

+ Reply to Thread