Hopping on one back leg : (
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hopping on one back leg : (

Marygi is offline Junior Member

DefaultHopping on one back leg : (

My 11 1/2 yo black lab, Marley is the love of our lives! But recently his back leg is completed contracted up to his hip when he tries to walk, get up or down and even when he is laying down. Of course he doesn't let on that it hurts but we know it must. He is on Tramadol and Rimadol which make him sleepy and seems to affect his appetite. He used to be insatiable, now he barely eats once a day.
    He has to be coaxed to go out even in the am. He used to LOVE his walks and would walk 2X/day for 30-45 mins. Now he does his business right next door and wants to go back home. The vet says its arthritis complicating an old injury. Xrays show a screw in his leg. We rescued him so have little background info on him. Short of surgery which the vet doesn't recommend for an 11 yo dog, pain meds is all he can recommend.
    Please any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Our hearts are breaking for his obvious discomfort. I've read all your posts about "when is it time?", and don't know what to do. It doesn't seem like he is going to get better.

deidra is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Marley! Your dog will let you know it is time. Just whatch his eyes when he looks at you and you will know.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Marygi is offline Junior Member

Unhappyr/o osteosarcoma

Thanks for the kind words.

I found a big warm mass UNDER Marley's knee joint and took him right in to the vet. Doesn't look good. They did tests to rule out osteosarcoma (bone cancer). I'll get the results in 24-48 hours. I feel soooooooooooo bad for him! He's clearly is in pain.
    On a good note, However we did find a dog food that he absolutely INHALED, "A/D critical care". Considering he hasn't eaten and has lost 6 lbs this month alone, this is a great find!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tasha is offline Junior Member

Hi Marygi, I just joined this forum.....my 12yr old lab has large masses everywhere, 2 really big ones on her side about the size of a tangerine but the vet says they are just fatty mass. She has smaller ones on her belly but now I have found one right at the joint of her front leg, the one she is limping on....Im thinking that the location of it is making it difficult for her to walk along with her arthritis. Good luck with the results, keep us posted !

+ Reply to Thread