My Senior Lab has a Enormous Tumor on her side..
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Senior Lab has a Enormous Tumor on her side..

Christie& Bailey is offline Junior Member

Default My Senior Lab has a Enormous Tumor on her side..

I hope someone can help, I am not sure what I should do..My almost 14 yr old Lab Bailey has grown a enormous( the size of a cantelope) on her side, outside of her rib cage..She has had xrays and no mass is in her and it appears to be non cancerous..It is like a giant water balloon and is so heavy..She already has weak back legs due to aging and arthritis and this tumor must weigh between 8 -10 pounds so she is now carrying this extra weight..I believe she is too old for anestesia for drs told me her only option is for surgery to remove this tumor .. I am afraid it could get so big and heavy and burst.. Has anyone ever experienced this with thir Lab, or have any suggestions..I would appreciate any feedback at this point..I am so concerned..She is not in any pain and overall excellent health for her age...Thanks so much!!

Christie

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

My spayed female had fatty tumors on her side and under belly. They were not that big though. Did it grow really fast? How did it get so large without being addressed before? I know you worry about the anethesia, but it seems to me that having a 10 lb tumor on her side has to be miserable for her. Personally, I would have it removed if at all possible. I am of the mind that her quality of life can't be that great with that tumor hanging off her side. I wish I had an easy answer for you.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Can it be drained?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

bett is offline Senior Member

blood tests will tell if she's too old to go under.
    how long has she had this? was it aspirated?

brody is offline Senior Member

get thee to a vet and discuss options re draining and removal ... yes a general always has a degree of risk but if her heart and organs are healthy (something a vet can determine) she should do fine

if it bursts there will likely be pain - and your choice then will be simple - PTS
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. H. Keller

Christie& Bailey is offline Junior Member

Yes, this tumor grew extremely fast , like three days...I took her right away and they did chest xrays and determined in was outside her body, but couldnt be sure what is actually at the base of this..They aspirated and took a sample of the fluid, which was mostly blood..It does not appear to be cancerous, but not sure unless they biopsy it..The doctors said if they drain it , it will 90% probably grow right back and fill up again..Also it will leak all over once they put a hole in it..They suggested leaving it alone, but It is so heavy and big, I feel terrible at her age she has to lug this around, getting up and down is difficult enough for a senior lab, almost 14 years old..I think I may have to test her blood to see if she could handle the anastesia..I cant understand why there is not some kind of local anestesia to numb the area without putting her completely under.. I thank you all so much for your time and knowledge, It means so much to be able to talk about this with people other than vets who look at this more of a business transaction, than my Dog who means the world to me..

bett is offline Senior Member

i would hope that after 14 yrs you wouldnt feel like talking to your vet is a business transaction.
    let us know what you decide to do and how she makes out.

Samson is offline Senior Member

I hope that she comes through this !

So sorry that she is do uncomfortable,

rivertrout is offline Member

We have taken many tumors like this off very old dogs. Like already mentioned if bloodwork is done and is good, and heart is healthy, there is no reason she will not make it thru surgery. If its as large as it sounds, it will take a little while to get off and there will be lots of stitches, so trust me anesthesia is much better and safer, and more comfortable for your dog. That way she doesnt have to be held down, or feel anything. Local numbing like lidocaine only numbs the area injected, and someone has to hold the animal down becasue they are not asleep, and it will be much to long of a process for something like that. Anesthesia is much safer. And if its a good veterinarian, if blood work is not good, or he doesnt think its safe to put ur dog under he or she will let you know that its not an option. But i think if its safe, and the blood work results are good, you dog would obviously be much more comfortable with it gone. But hopefully it will put your mind at ease to know dogs this age and older go thru anesthesia often, and come out just fine at our veterinary clinic!
    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. Woodrow Wilson

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am thinking I would get a second opinion. It doesn't sound to me like "leaving it alone" is a very good option, unless there is no other way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast