What can I expect?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I expect?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat can I expect?

Tank is getting up in his years. He has a hip problem so the vet said he may show that he is getting older and might slow down allot here in a couple years. I was wondering what can i expect to see when he is getting older? Do they usually get more health problems as they age? Like i said he has a very bad hip so can I expect to see arthritis in him? He is 5 and turns six sometime this year. He already has a little trouble getting up in the morning when the temp drops so will that be a big problem? Sorry for all the?'s I'm just really scared for my tall buddy
    Yes when tank stands on his hind legs he is taller than me that is how short i am
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

5-6 is still young, but yes older dogs can have more health problems. I would just make sure he gets his checkups and keep talking to your vet about your concerns.

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

I was just thinking... Is 5 old for a lab???? Even if he has hip problems now that doesn't make him old, he might have old days (I know I do).

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I don't see 5 as old either, Sammi is 5 and still spry as always! I'm sure sorry Tank is having hip issues at such a young age. Is he on any supplements like glucosimine, it might help if he isn't. How is his weight, any extra weight would be hard on him, just a couple of thoughts I had. Hope it doesn't slow him down to much.

the vet said nothing about supplements they just said dont push him to hard. I do not but he loves running like a puppy and swimming in the pond. He is 70-75 pounds i can post a pic if you need one. When we go to the vet in a couple months i will ask what they say. He is on a strict diet and exercise schedule so he does not get over weight.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

I would agree that 5 is still considered to be young and that you might want to think of giving Tank some supplements like glucosamine. I give Gin (who is 13 and definately a senior) a supplement called Recovery SA (Recovery SA - Natural Medicine For Pain Relief in Dogs). It is a natural product that you buy at a healthfood store - I give her about 1 tsp a day (mixed with a tiny bit of water and poured over her food) and, boy, what a difference it makes. She isn't running laps around the track, but she has a bit of spring in her step that she hasn't had for quite some time. It helps with her getting up and down from a lying position and just her overall balance is better. The Recovery that I use is "human" version, but they also make a canine and equine version, but my vet said to buy the human version as it's cheaper. I just lower the dosage for Gin's weight-class. Anyway, it's hard to see them age, but with a little bit of TLC, hopefully Tank will be around for many more years and become a "true senior".

Here he is and thanks everyone!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Well from that picture he doesn't look over wt. to me so I would maybe try the glucosimine and see if that helps him.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

He looks great Deidra.I was told 7 is a senior, but really that doesn't mean a thing. some dogs are spritly at 15 so guess it is the dog.
    Erns is 9 and has joints issues and arthritis since I got him. As he is getting older sadly he is getting worse. Glucosamine, swimming, regular excersise without jumping is the best. Of course some days they have to be dogs and run too much which is good for them, but then I rest the next day. Or in Erns case we give tramol if we know he will have a dog day.
    There are lots of things you can give as they age so don't worry about it. I know you take good care of him so sure he will have a happy life with you. so enjoy him, live for today and don't worry what tomorrow will bring.

eta. one other thing I was told when Erns was diagnosed with H.D. Get him off the floor to sleep. I got a hammock type bed. I also got him a magnet sleep pad, but not sure it makes a difference.He chews it anyway.lol.
    Last edited by kassabella; 03-31-2011 at 05:35 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thanks, he likes sleeping on the couch better anyway I just put 3 huge quilts on the ground and he loves them. I bet if i tell him to go into the crate he will look at me like I'm insane! I will have to call the vet since today he was a little more slow since y'all keep sending your cold weather this way It was 20 last night and only getting up to 55 today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast