Murphy's 7; time for a buddy?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Murphy's 7; time for a buddy?

Lionshambles is offline Junior Member

DefaultMurphy's 7; time for a buddy?

My yellow lab Murphy turned 7 a couple of months ago. He is very healthy, eats high quality food, gets 1000 mg of fish oil a day, and happily does not act his age.

My wife and I love dogs and are considering getting a second dog. We want to get a young dog who might keep him younger as he continues to age. We are a little concerned that we might make things worse for him, however, by bringing another dog into his domain. He loves other dogs, but does not have extended contact with them, and is kind of smooshy, doesn't really stand up for himself. I don't want to make him unhappy, when I am trying to help him.

We are considering a small female dog to eliminate any competition in the house. I think he might like to have a little buddy, but at his 'advanced' age maybe it is too late to do this.

Any advice?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a good companion for my boy, please pass them on.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
    Last edited by Lionshambles; 10-20-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added question

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Even though he has been around other dogs, has any of them been in his house, how did he react?

Our Lab hated most dogs because she was never around them except our Golden, we had our Golden first so they did get along. My sister would visit us and bring her dogs and our Lab(who is 8) HATED them, she would run and hide and if they got too close she would growl and snap at them.

Now we have taken in another pup and they get along GREAT!! Sure there are times when she plays rough and lets the pup know when an enough is enough. We are all surprised how great she has taken to him. It took her about a week to warm up to him.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by MidwestGirl; 10-20-2010 at 03:58 PM.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

We introduced a new puppy to Gin last year when she was 12 years old! We were hoping that she would take to the puppy and wouldn't see it as a sign of being replaced - are we ever glad that we did. The puppy, who is now almost 1 year old, has invigorated Gin. She and Aila play bitey face all the time, although they have a laying down version of it - Gin lays down, Aila does all the hopping around! Gin will let Aila know when she's had enough and Aila has learned to respect those signs when she gets them. One of the things we made sure to always do when we brought the puppy home, was to make sure Gin gets fed first, gets to go out the door first, gets any treats first -- this implied to Aila right from the start to respect Gin. So, I certainly don't think at 7 years old, your dog is too old to welcome another family member. As you can see from my signature picture, they really are quite comfortable with each other.

Good luck with your decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lionshambles is offline Junior Member

thank you both for your insights. you both sound pretty positive. it might take a short while for it to warm up, but I think Murphy is up for it. Great ideas on making sure Murphy keeps his place in the house.
    Mike

deidra is offline Senior Member

i would go to a lab rescue or a breeder i prefer rescues and let the meet in a quit place and play and see if they get along and how he gets along with you giving the other dog lots of affection then bring it into your house and murphys to see how it works out and make sure he doesnt have food aggression with other dogs i had that problem before so one dog ate in my room the other one in the kitchen
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

My German Short Hair was 13-1/2 when we brought home a 6 week old lab... 6 weeks later and they are both alive, I consider it a success.

patm is offline Senior Member

Baxter arrived when Emilu was 7 years old. She had grown up with another lab and loved him to death, but could never get him to play with her as much as she wanted to play - this has come back to bite her in the butt, in the form of a now 8month old black devil dog Also - she is "dog reactive" and likes some dogs, and not others. But she has been sonderful with Baxter.

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

Our last lab Brandi was 14 when we brought Sam home at 9 weeks.
    She was the best trainer we ever could have hoped for. We didn't have to teach him "no bite!"....one nip on the old girl's ears and he got the point pretty darn quick that dogs and people are not for biting!
    Brandy was quite cranky for the first couple months, and had her moments as she'd been the only dog for 14 years - but she slowly settled into the routine of having a bouncy puppy around. We made sure she got plenty (if not more) attention than Sam, and I think that helped ease the transition.

We welcomed Kona into the family when Sam was 2 - about 4 months after Brandi passed and I don't think I could ever go back to having just 1. Best of luck!

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

lab fan is offline Senior Member

We added Lucy to our family almost 3 months ago when Tilly was almost 8. Tilly has been a great teacher, and Lucy has taught Tilly a lot as well! We have been really careful about giving Tilly lots of attention,food and treats first and that seems to have helped. But there are times when Lucy is a big pain in the butt - Tilly will be sleeping peacefully on her bed and Lucy will just pounce on her face. Despite this, I do think Tilly is really happy having a friend in the house, and it has added some bounce in her step!

Tilly, Feb.11, 2003
    Lucy, Oct. 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread