What is NORMAL for a senior large breed?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is NORMAL for a senior large breed?

Casper is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat is NORMAL for a senior large breed?

OK, I don't know if I am being paranoid or if my dog is trying to tell me something. She's 10 years old and has been living w/ one kidney for over 9 years. The problem is that she's going downhill. Her arthritis is bad but the NSAIDS are terrible for her kidney. Plus, her digestive system seems to be failing with the increase in toxins and acidity.

Here's where it gets complicated. She still enjoys eating, going for walks, playing hide-n-seek, car rides, and she still has 100% control over her bowels.

The problems are: She groans a lot when she is laying down. When she is walking or upright, she acts fine. Plus, her stomach is full of gas (that does not release). Does anyone have an older lab that is on NSAIDs for arthritis? Do they still groan? Or, is she telling me how much pain she is in?

A little background: We've done Azodyl, Carprofen, Tramadol, Dasuquin, Fish Oil, Enalapril, Metacam, Pepcid, etc

Thanks
    Last edited by Casper; 08-18-2010 at 02:33 PM.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

What about the idea of having her abdomen examined by ultrasound..... it might give some clues.
    ....I'm thinking maybe enlarged spleen or liver, but then that is my imagination, I'm not a vet.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

I'm going to try Adequan. I just ordered some and she'll get her first injection as soon as it arrives in the mail. Fingers crossed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rae
    Rae is offline Member

My experience with Labs is they all groan when they lay down......

But with other problems I would surely have the stomach checked out.............

Rae

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Where are you located?

Do you have a Coll/Schl of VetMed within reach?

Often, they'll have the state of the arts diagnostic tests to determine causes.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Hi Bob. Thanks for the advice. I'm near Pittsburgh. Years ago we went to NC State for testing followed by 2 surgeries (that forced me into a second job for years to pay for it). But, it was well worth it because we were able to improve her health (diseased kidney and vaginal stricture removed). Unfortunately at this point she has so many problems that are not going to disappear. Her kidney is hanging in (maybe 20% function), she'd losing lots of protein in her urine, her urine is not concentrated and therefore, toxins are remaining in her body, hip dysplasia, severe muscular atrophy in her hind quarters, spondylosis (arthritis in her back), digestive issues etc etc etc She has A LOT going on. Even with all of this, she was repeatedly diving into my friend's pool yesterday (completely submerged) chasing a tennis ball! We had our first Adequan shot today and I am trying to set up some type of hydrotherapy for her. I'm really hoping the Adequan will do her a world of good:-) Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you dont' have the dog on a supplement, you may want to look into it. We put our 9 y/o male on Canine Hylasport and it really made a difference for him. PupSup Supplements for Dogs!

+ Reply to Thread