Yes, I did say black bean brownies! I made them last night and they are easy and delish! Great for those who prefer vegan or gluten free recipes, too. I didn't make mine vegan, though.
I used the recipe found here:
Makes 9 squares
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 bananas (for vegans--I used 2 brown eggs)
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup raw sugar **optional--I used 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup quick/instant oats (you can use gluten free)
chocolate chips *optional (I added 1/2 cup)
chopped walnuts *optional (I added 1/2 cup pecans)
I also used 1/2 tsp. almond extract
I also added 4 oz of yogurt for a little fat substitute. You could also try 1/2 cup pumpkin or applesauce.
1. Preheat 350F (I found this to be a little warm, will prob use 325 next time)
2. Combine all ingredients, except oats (and chocolate chips/nuts), in a food processor or blender
3. Blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed
4. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, nuts
5. Pour into a greased 8×8 in pan
6. Bake approx 30 minutes, toothpick test (mine was ready in 25 and quite done)
7. Allow to completely cool before slicing (I refrigerated overnight)
** if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgey, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour
I could taste the beans in the batter, but not in the brownies, which are crumbly but delish! Make sure to rinse the beans REALLY WELL in a colander.
Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)
A friend told me she made black bean brownies to trick her son the other night (he is a very picky eater and won't eat many veggies). She just used 1 can of black beans and 1 boxed brownie mix. She put them in the blender together and mixed the two ingredients. Baked them like the box directed. I haven't tried them, but she said they were really good and moist.
Sounds interesting. I may give these a try for my next "can you bring a dessert" outing!
Laura & CJ in New Hampshire
I've tried a similar recipe from South Beach, using Splenda for sweetener, and also a pinch of very strong coffee... the coffee flavour really enhances the chocolate flavour.
~Jo & CoCo
Yum! Trying these!
I will be trying these! THanks for the recipe